Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The Stax thread (New)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Stax thread (New) - Page 1219  

post #18271 of 24765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post


Dammit, I spit milk and cheerios on to my keyboard. Thanks a whole lot.


Lol, more seriously though, aren't there two versions of the extension cable, one that uses the old PC-OCC SR-007 cord, and a newer one that uses Stax's new SPC cord? Or am I wrong? I wouldn't recommend that anyone splice two different types of cables together, that's going to affect the sound.

post #18272 of 24765
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBSC View Post

Lol, more seriously though, aren't there two versions of the extension cable, one that uses the old PC-OCC SR-007 cord, and a newer one that uses Stax's new SPC cord? Or am I wrong? I wouldn't recommend that anyone splice two different types of cables together, that's going to affect the sound.

 

Yep, that's accurate.  The older one is pure copper, and the new one is silver-plated copper I think.  As you say, the pure copper is for the 007, and the newer one is for the 009.  I believe they're also color-coordinated (the old one is brown and the new one is black).

post #18273 of 24765
Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar3 View Post

 

So you're saying the extension cable affects sound quality as much as a change in amplifier does?

 

I'm 26, by the way.  Am I too young or too old to hear the difference?  Please tell me, I'm dying to know.

 

It all depends on your zodiac ascendant... wink.gif


Edited by verwandlung - 5/10/12 at 1:17pm
post #18274 of 24765

I think a close inspection and testing of the stax extension cord is indicated...

 

Could be a bad connection somewhere.

post #18275 of 24765
Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar3 View Post

 

Yep, that's accurate.  The older one is pure copper, and the new one is silver-plated copper I think.  As you say, the pure copper is for the 007, and the newer one is for the 009.  I believe they're also color-coordinated (the old one is brown and the new one is black).

 

You nailed it -- all 100% correct.

post #18276 of 24765
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOONG 2112 View Post

 n3rdling. From your arsenal of cans n gears ,I guess you have done some comparison. Just that I have read the ravings about the latest Lamdas,esp 507 that I want to check the merits of these compared to the older SR Omega. What about The Srm1/mk2 pro with the SR323s? Is there a difference in audible sound quality? ie dynamics,tonal characteristics etc ? Spritzer sees the 323s being one of the best value amps in Stax stable currently on offer. ..but does it match or better the older srm1 solid states amp by Stax ? hope to get feedback from you and the gurus in this forum.Thanks

 

Sorry, I haven't owned the 323 in the past so I can't really say.  That being said, I'd probably take the 323 since the SRM1's are pretty old and need new caps.

post #18277 of 24765
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwilson View Post

OK, got some more info on Mal Valve: Cost to USA is EUR 3,361 + delivery. They have a few units in stock ready for shipping now, otherwise the next batch will be available in a couple of months. Gonna find out about the electrostatic output shortly.

It looks like the MalValve wont take a pair of 3-pin XLR inputs from balanced dynamic phones (just single-ended 1/4-inch or 4-pin connectors).

post #18278 of 24765
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgs9200m View Post

It looks like the MalValve wont take a pair of 3-pin XLR inputs from balanced dynamic phones (just single-ended 1/4-inch or 4-pin connectors).

 

There's no difference between 2x3pin and 4pin, aside from the obvious (vis-a-vis 2x3pin being bulky and annoying).  Just get an adapter or a retermination or something.

post #18279 of 24765

4 pin sounds better because 4 < 3 x 2!!!  Less pins, less in da wayz!!

post #18280 of 24765
Just heard back from them. Output is off the tubes directly ("as it should be" he added biggrin.gif)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin gilmore View Post

The Malvalve looks to be a nice unit.  Switchers for all the power supplies.

Can't tell if the electrostatic outputs are a seperate winding on the output
transformers, or directly off the plates of the power tubes. Both would
have significantly different sound signatures.

If they are driven off the plates of the power tubes, this would be similar
to a WES with the inductors replaced by a transformer.

Reminds me of a Mcintosh mc240.

This is not a cheap unit.
post #18281 of 24765

Going to take the plunge for the rest of us Nick?  You could have the Cantata all-in-one media center and the Malvalve all-in-one headphone amp.  If only somebody could make the all-in-one headphone you'd be set.

post #18282 of 24765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio_head View Post

Going to take the plunge for the rest of us Nick?  You could have the Cantata all-in-one media center and the Malvalve all-in-one headphone amp.  If only somebody could make the all-in-one headphone you'd be set.

 

Um... no. My all-in-one brain tells me to stay away.

post #18283 of 24765

I'd want to know what the voltage swing is before I even considered purchasing one.  Some listening impressions would be nice too.  Any chance of a local Head-Fier getting a demo unit?

post #18284 of 24765
Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar3 View Post

I'd want to know what the voltage swing is before I even considered purchasing one.  Some listening impressions would be nice too.  Any chance of a local Head-Fier getting a demo unit?

 

OMG (as my daughter would say)..........you're getting a BHSE and still looking at other stuff.  i thought once you're married to an amp you stop that behavior.

post #18285 of 24765
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat6man View Post

OMG (as my daughter would say)..........you're getting a BHSE and still looking at other stuff.  i thought once you're married to an amp you stop that behavior.

 

I was going to get the LL by the end of the year anyway.  The Mal Valve is just another option.  Who knows, maybe I'll end up with three stat amps!  biggrin.gif

 

It's in my avatar, after all:

900x900px-LL-862a1819_10385929.jpeg

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The Stax thread (New)