Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Benchmark DAC1 now available with USB
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Benchmark DAC1 now available with USB - Page 2

post #16 of 3034
I'm not entirely sure what the benefit is of not having to install drivers, other than it makes up less hard drive space. the M-Audio audiophile usb converts 24/96 and doesn't cost nearly as much, all one has to sacrifice is using M-Audio's ASIO drivers.
post #17 of 3034
I'm a fan of the DAC1 but coincidentally sold mine this week to fund a Slimdevices Transporter purchase.

I would pay an extra $300 for a good USB input on the DAC1. I have a small Dell laptop (XPS M1210) with a 120GB hard drive storing lossless albums, and I love the idea of simply adding the new Benchmark for a high-end two-box solution. I used a Transit in the past, but the extra box (albeit small) and cabling always bugged me. I looked around for a ExpressCard sound card with coax digital output, but none exist yet. (The M1210 only has an ExpressCard slot.)

I can fit the laptop, DAC1, and my E500s in small laptop bag and have 200 lossless albums at my fingertips. Cool.
post #18 of 3034
>The new DAC1 USB, which begins shipping worldwide on March 1, 2007
>at a price of $1275 USD, also includes high-current output drivers that
>can be configured to mute upon headphone insertion.

What the heck are high-current output drivers?
post #19 of 3034
Quote:
>The new DAC1 USB, which begins shipping worldwide on March 1, 2007
>at a price of $1275 USD, also includes high-current output drivers that
>can be configured to mute upon headphone insertion.
Oh boy. More snake oil. The line output is voltage dependent, not current dependent. The input to your amplifier is specified in terms of Volts. Like 2V RMS. SO why do they need a high current going in t perhaps a 47K input on your amp? To blow your amp input up?
I pass.
post #20 of 3034
Are there any other balanced output USB DACs on the market?
post #21 of 3034
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monkey View Post
Are there any other balanced output USB DACs on the market?
The Stello DA220 MKII, the Aqvox USB2 D/A MKII, Apogee Mini
post #22 of 3034
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monkey View Post
Are there any other balanced output USB DACs on the market?
Does HeadRoom's implementation of their DACs in the balanced Home and Max count?

So what can the DAC1 USB input ($300) do that can't be accomplished by the M-Audio Transit ($60)? They're both bit-perfect at 24/96... do ya'll think Benchmark will publish jitter measurements?
post #23 of 3034
I think we know the M-audio transit supports 24/96 and is bit perfect but it comes with a custom driver.

The standard driver does support 24/96 but unless you use kernel streaming either direct or with ASIO4all it is not bit perfect.


Cheers

Thomas
post #24 of 3034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herandu View Post
Oh boy. More snake oil. The line output is voltage dependent, not current dependent. The input to your amplifier is specified in terms of Volts. Like 2V RMS. SO why do they need a high current going in t perhaps a 47K input on your amp? To blow your amp input up?
I pass.
High-current output drivers just really means low output impedance. This is ALWAYS a good thing. Most expensive preamps have around 7-10 ohms output impedance.

Steve N.
post #25 of 3034
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaspf View Post
I think we know the M-audio transit supports 24/96 and is bit perfect but it comes with a custom driver.

The standard driver does support 24/96 but unless you use kernel streaming either direct or with ASIO4all it is not bit perfect.


Cheers

Thomas
Right, that is my undestanding too. Also, read this:

Quote:
All audio streams go through Windows' Kmixer to the USB device. To be sure Kmixer does not affect the quality of audio, we tested it extensively and found it to perform exactly as it should.
They evidently don't hear the effect of KMIXER with Win2K or XP either

Steve N.
post #26 of 3034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy View Post
So what can the DAC1 USB input ($300) do that can't be accomplished by the M-Audio Transit ($60)? They're both bit-perfect at 24/96... do ya'll think Benchmark will publish jitter measurements?
Measurements from a 3rd party...would assume USB implimentation would yield similar results as their traditional inputs:

http://www.stereophile.com/digitalpr...86/index4.html
post #27 of 3034
Quote:
Originally Posted by humanflyz View Post
The Stello DA220 MKII, the Aqvox USB2 D/A MKII, Apogee Mini
And PS Audio Digital Link III.
post #28 of 3034
Slightly worrying they can't tell the difference with kmixer in the signal path and without

Anyone that has any experience, would easily be able to discern a difference.
post #29 of 3034
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregeas View Post
I'm a fan of the DAC1 but coincidentally sold mine this week to fund a Slimdevices Transporter purchase.
Gregeas, interesting comment. I am planning to move to PC-based audio and am also contemplating the Transporter or a good USB DAC (was considering Stello 220 MkII, now also DAC1). What prompted you to go for the change?

Thanks, Clark
post #30 of 3034
For what it's worth, I decided to go with the Stello DA220 MkII, coming from my AQVOX USB 2 D/A MkI. It's currently on backorder, so I should hopefully receive it in 3 weeks.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Benchmark DAC1 now available with USB