Originally Posted by Coltrane
Come to think of, I think we are also WAY overdue for a newbie forum.
I'm not sure if this is a joke around here, or a sensative issue, but I can attest that it is a very good idea.
I visit a bunch of forums regularly, and several of them have newbie sections. These sections actually work very well for multiple reasons.
1. It is easier for a newbie to see where his/her first post should go. I'm sure that all the categories can be intimidating and confusing for some newbies. No one worries about posting in the wrong category.
2. It creates a buffer zone where threads can be repeated many, many times without experienced members having to wade through it to get to new topics.
3. When experienced users browse there, they understand that they are there to help new people out. So, people who tend to not like answering newbie-type questions can just not go there, if they choose.
4. Less pressure on the newbie to understand everything right away. It's a "safe area" where it is ok to be ignorant or uninformed, because that's generally the case with people who are new to something.
5. It helps with people who are new to forums and how online forums generally work. Someone sees "Beginner Chat" or "Start Here," or something similar, and they generally know where to look first.
Anyway, hopefully this isn't a sore topic around here. I just thought it was an excellent idea.