Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Another Moth Has Landed: The 300B Paradigm Is Here!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Another Moth Has Landed: The 300B Paradigm Is Here! - Page 5

post #61 of 64
Thread Starter 
Well folks, I have had the Moth/K1000 for two weeks and have used them almost exclusively for headphone listening since setting them up. My only regret is that I wasted a week with that lousy cobbled-together setup I described above on 2/27. Last Sunday I set up a better rig altogether and I have been even happier with the amazing Moth and these glorious cans.

The new setup is my Onix Ref-1 CDP connected directly into the Moth with AudioQuest Amazon ICs (I'm going to try my Von Gaylord Chinchillas soon too). These two are plugged into a BPT BP Jr. power conditioner with a Quail PC on the Moth and a Crystal Cable PC for the Onix. The K1000, of course, have the Equinox hard-wired onto them, so that didn't change!

The first thing that came back was the absolutely quiet, black background produced by the Moth amp. It is really incredible, but this tube amp makes no noise -- except when it should. As the post above indicated, it wasn't quiet with the rig I tapped into and that was a bummer because the Moth with Klipsch was dead quiet. I can pause a CD and crank the volume up and down -- as I am doing right now just to check myself -- and there is NOTHING, no sound, no "tube rush", no nothing. Nice, very nice.

The other thing that happened was the music sprang to life in a different way. The naturalness of these cans was not impinged by any buzz or hum or the like. Notes just happen, and hang nicely in the air when they are supposed to and disappear immediately when they are not. No distraction or distortion from other signal sound. Dynamics and speed depend on clarity and precision, and to my mind/ears a black background and nicely controlled drivers make that happen.

I think this setup does a lot of things well. Right now, I'm feeling like I'm at the SF Jazz Collective performance from last year, which I was at to be honest, but the feeling is not easily achieved with headphones. Soundstage is not a stretch for these cans, however. Another thing that I have randomly noticed is that guitars sound simply incredible on this setup. I like to use The Guitar Trio cd with De Lucia, Di Meola and McGlaughlin as a torture test for dynamics and speed and tone, so I put that in last sunday when I rearranged this rig. I listened to the entire cd straight through and really felt like it would be hard to top that sound. It was warm and weighty but lightning fast.

Since then, I have played a lot of guitar music including most of the Progressions jazz guitar set that ranges for Django to Wes Montgomery to Jeff Beck to Jimi Hendrix, along with Ricki Lee Jones and Alison Krause and Mimi Fox and Robyn Hitch**** and Mark Knopfler. Anyway, I just keep finding this sound intoxicating and want to check out more. Heck, I was rocking out completely to Husker Du the other night, but my wife came down the hall and told me to shut off the speakers, not realizing it was just these funny looking ones stuck to my head.

I feel like I'm gushing, so I am going to stop for the moment. In fact, looking at the time, I should mention this setup is keeping me up way too late! It is sitting right next to our Corbusier chaise lounge, and the time just slips by...

One last thought, James Serdechny of Stefan AudioArt has suggested that I could be in for a pleasant surprise if I take off the screens and give these magnificent drivers a real chance without the metal getting in the way. Anybody try that? I am very curious, and as a commited Senn defoamer, I think I have got to give this a try too.

Second last thought. The Party at Neil's New Place mini-meet is still likely to happen soon, and certainly before April [I think]. Hoping for an Emm-tastistic ES-1 and I bet my SDS-XLR would drive the heck out out somebody else's K1000 with s/e or balanced connectors... Just a thought.
post #62 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltron View Post
Second last thought. The Party at Neil's New Place mini-meet is still likely to happen soon, and certainly before April [I think]. Hoping for an Emm-tastistic ES-1 and I bet my SDS-XLR would drive the heck out out somebody else's K1000 with s/e or balanced connectors... Just a thought.
Glad your feeling the K1K love! So I 'discovered' something 'new': isolation platforms! The guys at music lovers let me borrow their much touted composite isolation platforms and WOW, they actually do make a certain kind of difference, especially to the bottom end.

Anyway, you'll get to hear those K1K's out of the EMM with your Moth amp if you want too, which should be cool, along with that SDS and my ES-1-Tasticism (hopefully): new quote on shipping time: This coming Wedneday.

We'll see when the new shipping quote comes in next week. It's feeling like an endless cycle =) Thank god I have my HEV90, lol!

Neil
post #63 of 64
Al,

Glad that you are digging the K1000s, and you are absolutely right in saying that they do wonders with guitars. But now you MUST bring the Moth 300B to the K1000 room.
post #64 of 64
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilvg View Post
Glad your feeling the K1K love! So I 'discovered' something 'new': isolation platforms! The guys at music lovers let me borrow their much touted composite isolation platforms and WOW, they actually do make a certain kind of difference, especially to the bottom end.

Anyway, you'll get to hear those K1K's out of the EMM with your Moth amp if you want too, which should be cool, along with that SDS and my ES-1-Tasticism (hopefully): new quote on shipping time: This coming Wedneday.

We'll see when the new shipping quote comes in next week. It's feeling like an endless cycle =) Thank god I have my HEV90, lol!

Neil
Quote:
Originally Posted by humanflyz View Post
Al,

Glad that you are digging the K1000s, and you are absolutely right in saying that they do wonders with guitars. But now you MUST bring the Moth 300B to the K1000 room.
We should have quite a nice mix for Neil's Party II, some day , and I will definitely be bringing the Moth to Neil's and the Int'l K1000 room for some comparo time with F1, Sig30, etc.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Another Moth Has Landed: The 300B Paradigm Is Here!