Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Gear-Fi: Non-Audio Gear and Gadgets › The NIKON Thread (Talk About Nikon Stuff here)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The NIKON Thread (Talk About Nikon Stuff here) - Page 385

post #5761 of 5774

Hey, what is your guy's favorite lens? If you were stuck only using that one lens for the rest of your life, could you manage with it?


Edited by trick - 9/18/14 at 1:08pm
post #5762 of 5774
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyogen View Post
 

looks like I'm sticking with Nikon a while longer.  Looking forward to checking out the new D750 and D810.  Also, probably going to add Sigma's new 24mm 1.4 lens when it comes out.  My favorite lens right now is the Nikon 28mm 1.8......I can't believe I sold it a few months ago thinking I didn't like it and it's distortion.  I have bought it back and now I have come to realize I was using it wrong.  Apparently, Sigma is coming out with a new 135mm lens also.  At one point months ago the Canon 135 f2 lens could have almost single-handedly drawn me to Canon, but now I realize it's too long for me--even for wedding photography.  I guess I'll have to shoot in some very large wedding venues and see if I change my mind.  I highly doubt I'll ever buy a 70-200mm lens since it's so big and bulky.  Watching Tony Northrup's video on Canon vs. Nikon recently made me realize Nikon's 70-200mm actually is only 135 or so mm on the long end......

 

I realised a while back that 200mm is really not any significantly bigger than 135mm. 

 

Regardless, I'm a sucker for punishment. This is my rig for my daughter's school's sports festival tomorrow. Sigma 50-500mm. The professional shooters who go to the events usually carry two cameras, one with a 24-70mm and one with a 70-200mm or similar (I forgot what the Canon equivalent is). 

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick View Post
 

Hey, what is your guy's favorite lens? If you were stuck only using that one lens for the rest of your life, could you manage with it?

 

Sigma 35mm 1.4. I could live with it because I have a Sony RX-10 for just about everything else. I'll take that tomorrow as well, as I can use it when I get sick of the Bigma and/or want to take video.

post #5763 of 5774
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyogen View Post
 

At one point months ago the Canon 135 f2 lens could have almost single-handedly drawn me to Canon, but now I realize it's too long for me--even for wedding photography.  I guess I'll have to shoot in some very large wedding venues and see if I change my mind.  I highly doubt I'll ever buy a 70-200mm lens since it's so big and bulky.  Watching Tony Northrup's video on Canon vs. Nikon recently made me realize Nikon's 70-200mm actually is only 135 or so mm on the long end......

 

-If you want something fast in the 100mm+ range and think 135mm is too long, I'd suggest you have a look at the Nikkor 105mm f/2 DC - the AF leaves a bit to be desired speed-wise, but the focal length is ideal for portraits IMHO, it is fast, with wonderful bokeh and, as an added bonus, it is incredibly sharp and for all intents and purposes distortion-free.

 

My only minor gripe with it is that it takes 72mm filters, and if you use a step-up ring to 77mm, it interferes with the built-in hood.

post #5764 of 5774
My vote goes to Zeiss f/2 100 Makro if you don't mind the manual focus. The Zeiss micro contrast can't replicated with other brands.
post #5765 of 5774
Quote:
Originally Posted by trick View Post
 

Hey, what is your guy's favorite lens? If you were stuck only using that one lens for the rest of your life, could you manage with it?

My favorite of all my Nikon lenses is the 24-70 2.8. It is super shark and always delivers more than I ask it too.

post #5766 of 5774
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc9394 View Post

My vote goes to Zeiss f/2 100 Makro if you don't mind the manual focus. The Zeiss micro contrast can't replicated with other brands.

 

-Manual focus as implemented on the Carl Zeiss line is a joy to use; just the right resistance as you turn the focus ring, just the right gear ratio to enable you to focus quickly, yet precisely - and, as you say, the contrast of the Zeiss glass is terrific. (I've mostly used Carl Zeiss lenses in M- and V-mount, though - but I would imagine it is designed by the same people, using the same optical glass - at least in the former case.)

post #5767 of 5774
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc9394 View Post

My vote goes to Zeiss f/2 100 Makro if you don't mind the manual focus. The Zeiss micro contrast can't replicated with other brands.

hmmm Interesting suggestion. I hadn't heard of it. I was too afraid for my wallet to look into any of the zeiss lenses. I think I found the next purchase to save up all my money for! I doubt audio equipment cost will ever add up to my camera equipment. 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Currawong View Post

 

Sigma 35mm 1.4. I could live with it because I have a Sony RX-10 for just about everything else. I'll take that tomorrow as well, as I can use it when I get sick of the Bigma and/or want to take video.

I agree. I couldn't live without a fixed 35mm. Im obsessed with shooting micro photography, but Everyone needs a 35 or a 50mm prime.


Edited by trick - 9/23/14 at 1:06pm
post #5768 of 5774

Had my D3100 for 3 years and i'm still more than happy with it.

 

Recently picked up a Nikon Circular Polarizer II, not the most exciting thing in the world to talk about but wow, what a useful bit of kit.

post #5769 of 5774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyson View Post

 

Recently picked up a Nikon Circular Polarizer II, not the most exciting thing in the world to talk about but wow, what a useful bit of kit.

 

-Yup. Most other filters can be handled in post, but a polarizer belongs in every photographer's kit bag, IMHO. (My polarizer(s) are probably my 2nd most used photographic thingamajigs, second only to my trusty Sekonic light meter. :))

post #5770 of 5774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyson View Post
 

Had my D3100 for 3 years and i'm still more than happy with it.

 

Recently picked up a Nikon Circular Polarizer II, not the most exciting thing in the world to talk about but wow, what a useful bit of kit.

No judgement. Polarizers are pretty interesting. I actually miss my D3000 sometimes. I had some interesting lighting effects when doing long exposures at night. I guess the color depth wasn't high enough, so I would get beautiful red and blue lights in the sky. My d7000 just gives me a purple sky.. :/  

post #5771 of 5774
Quote:
Originally Posted by trick View Post

Hey, what is your guy's favorite lens? If you were stuck only using that one lens for the rest of your life, could you manage with it?

Can I pick 3?
Had a two week vacation in Europe this past summer, all I used was a 24 mm f/2.8 Nikkor, a 35 mm f/1.8 Nikkor and. 60 mm macro Nikkor.
I never felt like I was missing any other lenses. biggrin.gif
post #5772 of 5774
Quote:
Originally Posted by trick View Post
 

Hey, what is your guy's favorite lens? If you were stuck only using that one lens for the rest of your life, could you manage with it?

 

-It is quite simple, really. If I had to pick but one lens, it would be a fast 35mm lens - for my Nikons it would probably be the 35mm f/1.4 Ai-S; it is a beautifully made manual focus lens which is beyond sharp when stopped down to f/4-F/5.6 or so. Wide open, it is still very good - though a bit soft in the corners (Which doesn't really matter; I tend to try to keep the subject away from the extreme margins of the frame, anyway... :)

 

If I were to spend the rest of my life with a rangefinder, though (I can think of worse fates!) it would be a 35mm Summicron - it is small, lightweight and an exceptional performer.

 

It would be hard, though, staying faithful. Approx. 90% of my photos are taken using a 35mm prime, but there's an awful lot of fun to be had in the remaining 10%, too.

post #5773 of 5774
Quote:
Originally Posted by OddE View Post

-It is quite simple, really. If I had to pick but one lens, it would be a fast 35mm lens - for my Nikons it would probably be the 35mm f/1.4 Ai-S; it is a beautifully made manual focus lens which is beyond sharp when stopped down to f/4-F/5.6 or so. Wide open, it is still very good - though a bit soft in the corners (Which doesn't really matter; I tend to try to keep the subject away from the extreme margins of the frame, anyway... smily_headphones1.gif

If I were to spend the rest of my life with a rangefinder, though (I can think of worse fates!) it would be a 35mm Summicron - it is small, lightweight and an exceptional performer.

It would be hard, though, staying faithful. Approx. 90% of my photos are taken using a 35mm prime, but there's an awful lot of fun to be had in the remaining 10%, too.

I can almost agree!
I could get by with a 24 mm and a 35 mm!

image.jpg
Edited by Chris J - 9/26/14 at 2:36pm
post #5774 of 5774

Realistically I'd probably pick the 24-70mm f2.8. I could always kludge with extenders for outdoor photography. :smile:

 

I saw the D750 in store today while I was out and about. It looks like a killer camera. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Gear-Fi: Non-Audio Gear and Gadgets › The NIKON Thread (Talk About Nikon Stuff here)