Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Gear-Fi: Non-Audio Gear and Gadgets › The NIKON Thread (Talk About Nikon Stuff here)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The NIKON Thread (Talk About Nikon Stuff here) - Page 335

post #5011 of 5786
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc9394 View Post

 

X2 on the 85 f1.8 bette on D800.  I brought both from BH and end up return the 1.4.

Nobody wants to buy my siggy 85 1.4 :[ 

post #5012 of 5786
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxhaxx View Post

Nobody wants to buy my siggy 85 1.4 :[ 

 

too expensive and the 85 1.8G perform better on d800/e.  For the used price of 85 1.4, i rather get the 16-35 f4.

post #5013 of 5786
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxhaxx View Post

But the image quality is that much better :D 

 

Not really. Not for most people's uses anyway. 

post #5014 of 5786
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshot View Post

Most people spend so much on the camera body, they can only afford one lens. A DSLR with one lens might as well be a camera without interchangable lenses.

 

LOL!

 

That's why I bought a D90 instead of a D7000!

post #5015 of 5786

If anyone in this thread is looking for a Nikon D700 or F6, I have one of each with accessories I would like to sell.  

post #5016 of 5786
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsilvio View Post

If anyone in this thread is looking for a Nikon D700 or F6, I have one of each with accessories I would like to sell.  

I'll give you $50 for the 6. no really I'm being serious. stop laughing

post #5017 of 5786

so uh... I haven't really read much of any of this thread. Basically, I hate people that do what I'm about to do.

What do you guys think of the Nikon D5100 for a starter camera? As in, I have no dslr experience, but I'm very excited to jump into photography.

Also, to kit lens or not to kit lens? I was leaning towards the D5100 with the kit lens for myself for xmas, but if you guys scream NO I'll reconsider :)

post #5018 of 5786

The 5100 + kit lens is a fine starting point. I also usually recommend to new shooters that they get a prime (35mm range for a crop body) - this forces one to think a bit more about composition and look for interesting angles and ways of shooting (move your feet) instead of just a zoom ring. 

 

Learn as much as you can about exposure (the meter in the camera is not infallible) and composition. The rest will take care of itself. 

post #5019 of 5786
Quote:
Originally Posted by liamstrain View Post

The 5100 + kit lens is a fine starting point. I also usually recommend to new shooters that they get a prime (35mm range for a crop body) - this forces one to think a bit more about composition and look for interesting angles and ways of shooting (move your feet) instead of just a zoom ring. 

 

Learn as much as you can about exposure (the meter in the camera is not infallible) and composition. The rest will take care of itself. 

Yes, some sort of prime lens was my next move. I figure after playing around with the kit lens for a while, I'll get a better idea of which prime I'd get the most use out of. 

post #5020 of 5786
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislangley4253 View Post

so uh... I haven't really read much of any of this thread. Basically, I hate people that do what I'm about to do.

What do you guys think of the Nikon D5100 for a starter camera? As in, I have no dslr experience, but I'm very excited to jump into photography.

Also, to kit lens or not to kit lens? I was leaning towards the D5100 with the kit lens for myself for xmas, but if you guys scream NO I'll reconsider :)

 

D5100 is a fine camera.

Just beware the D5200 is out there:

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/nikon-d5200-with-18/4505-6501_7-35534445.html

post #5021 of 5786
To me, the D50 is a good camera.
post #5022 of 5786
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshot View Post

To me, the D50 is a good camera.
Yes the 50 is a good camera, it's just now you can double the resolution, improve the lowlight performance, increase the frame rate, shoot HD video, improve AF performance and all this for almost half the price of the D50s initial offering at.$999. There are much better out there now but if the 50 fills all you needs now just use it til it goes down.
post #5023 of 5786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon L View Post

 

D5100 is a fine camera.

Just beware the D5200 is out there:

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/nikon-d5200-with-18/4505-6501_7-35534445.html

Thanks for the heads up. I'll give a good look at the newer model.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshot View Post

To me, the D50 is a good camera.

You know, there are quite a few of those floating around amazon for 130-150 dollars.. It's tempting to go for something like that to start. 


I actually haven't really looked into older professional models.. What about the D200 or D300 guys? Am I better off taking my money and buying an older "professional" model or a newer "entry" model?


Edited by chrislangley4253 - 11/9/12 at 7:08am
post #5024 of 5786

The older mid-tier and pro cameras are great - well built, better suited to bad weather, etc, and some have improved shooting speed and autofocus. But their sensors are dated (as noted in other posts, the newer sensors give you improved low light performance and better resolution for less money) and the newer entry level cameras by and large also allow video (if that is interesting to you). 

 

Overall build quality and shutter life isn't really a major problem on the entry level cameras - unless you really think you are going to be beating these things up, and don't already have a large stock of older lenses to worry about compatibility with, I wouldn't worry about getting a used mid-pro tier camera.  Certainly not as your first dSLR. 

post #5025 of 5786
Quote:
Originally Posted by liamstrain View Post

The older mid-tier and pro cameras are great - well built, better suited to bad weather, etc, and some have improved shooting speed and autofocus. But their sensors are dated (as noted in other posts, the newer sensors give you improved low light performance and better resolution for less money) and the newer entry level cameras by and large also allow video (if that is interesting to you). 

 

Overall build quality and shutter life isn't really a major problem on the entry level cameras - unless you really think you are going to be beating these things up, and don't already have a large stock of older lenses to worry about compatibility with, I wouldn't worry about getting a used mid-pro tier camera.  Certainly not as your first dSLR. 

thanks :)

Any suggestions on MUST GET items?

I planned on picking up these two things along with the camera.. Anything else I gotta get?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002VPE1WK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Q3C98S/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER


Edited by chrislangley4253 - 11/9/12 at 7:57am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Gear-Fi: Non-Audio Gear and Gadgets › The NIKON Thread (Talk About Nikon Stuff here)