Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › pa2v2... am I listening to them wrong?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

pa2v2... am I listening to them wrong?

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 
I have the pa2v2 and a pair of HD595's and AKG K81DJ's.

So, I listened to both with amp and without amp on my AV-710, here are my results:

HD595 w/o amp: bassy and nice
HD595 w/ amp: a lot less bass, but still nice
K81DJ w/o amp: thinner, less bassy
K81DJ w/ amp: loads and loads of bass

So, the K81DJ's were to be expected to sound like that, but the HD595 is a little weird to me; the bass is toned down a bit too much with the amp... is that how it's supposed to be? I lean towards the department though, but a pa2v2 with k81dj's rocks my ears off.
post #2 of 24
The PA2V2 generally performs better with current hungry low impedance / high sensitivity cans. With two 1.2 volt AA cells its only giving the OP amp +1.2 and -1.2 VDC... hardly enough of a swing to really push high impedance headphones.

I found the same thing with my HD580 / Grados pushed with the PA2V2.
post #3 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer5150 View Post
The PA2V2 generally performs better with current hungry low impedance / high sensitivity cans. With two 1.2 volt AA cells its only giving the OP amp +1.2 and -1.2 VDC... hardly enough of a swing to really push high impedance headphones.

I found the same thing with my HD580 / Grados pushed with the PA2V2.
hmm. but shouldn't the pa2v2 amp be able to drive my HD595 better than the av-710's headphone jack?

man, this makes me kinda regret buying an amp if i prefer the sound of an unamped hd595 i guess i could always keep it for portable use instead for desktop use
post #4 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by uraflit View Post
hmm. but shouldn't the pa2v2 amp be able to drive my HD595 better than the av-710's headphone jack?

man, this makes me kinda regret buying an amp if i prefer the sound of an unamped hd595 i guess i could always keep it for portable use instead for desktop use
Not necessarily... the PA2V2 uses a snoozer of an OP amp. Its really ill-suited for high impedence/low sensitivity cans (IMHO). The overall circuit just can't swing the voltage far enough to juice these kinds of headphones adequately, as you have noticed.

I am not sure what OP amp circuit is in that sound card. But if its operating at more than +/-1.2 Volts, its already at an advantage over the PA2V2.

I may be in the minority, but I really don't think the PA2V2 sounds very good at all. Compared to other cmoys, govibe line, and mint amps I have heard, the Pa2V2 lacks clarity across the board.

Like, you I have made mistakes too. I go buy this great amp and, "Hmm this doesn;t really sound all that great"

Yeah... I mean the PA2V2 does have some things going for it. its inexpensive, Great customer support, recharge circuit, standard AA batteries, its an energy-miser. Its really small too. its bass-boosted signature works well as a portable IMHO. But as a home trans-portable amp, there are better options.

Use your ears whenever possible.
post #5 of 24
kramer are u saying that pa2v2 will struggle in running th 580s????

thnx
post #6 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by lutwey View Post
kramer are u saying that pa2v2 will struggle in running th 580s????

thnx
I have not heard this combo, but I would be surprised if the PA2V2 did the 580 justice. The PA2V2 drove my k501s to a decent volume, but the combination seemed strained. Not sure how else to put it. I would guess that the 580 would perform similarly.
post #7 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by lutwey View Post
kramer are u saying that pa2v2 will struggle in running th 580s????

thnx
Struggle is a bit strong of a word, it will get plenty loud. But it lacks dynamics and impact across the spectrum. Combine that with the PA2V2s conjested signature and its not a very impressive synnergy.

IMHO of course, there are other members who are happy with that tandem. But I find the PA2V2 a better Grado amp than sennheiser amp.
post #8 of 24
Thread Starter 
i got screwed. now i have to look for something to amp my hd595. any suggestions while we are here anyways?

i heard the LDM+ was good, but that goes back over a year, any new amps better?
post #9 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by uraflit View Post
i got screwed. now i have to look for something to amp my hd595. any suggestions while we are here anyways?

i heard the LDM+ was good, but that goes back over a year, any new amps better?
How much do you want to spend?
post #10 of 24
Kramer is spot on.

The PA2v2 does fine with my E4c or KSC75 with my iPod Nano, but there's no way in heck it can do any of my other cans justice - well... it did OK with the DT770/80...
post #11 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer5150 View Post
... But I find the PA2V2 a better Grado amp than sennheiser amp.
Totally agree as far as Grado. Isn't the 595 an 80 ohm impedence can?
post #12 of 24
HD580 need way more juice than PA2V2 people who think that they drive them ok are people that didn't listen to them with other amp. With my PIMETA i get a somewhat good sound but when i pluged them in my PA2V2 they were clearly lacking punch and doesn't sound like a 150$ pair of headphones (ok 129$ cans :P) My next purchase is a good home amp for them, they deserve to be "babyfied"
post #13 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrarroyo View Post
Totally agree as far as Grado. Isn't the 595 an 80 ohm impedence can?

I think there are 2 different versions... one high impedence at 120 ohms and a lower impedance model too. both are fairly low sensitivity from what I understand.
post #14 of 24
Thread Starter 
i think my hd595 is 50 ohms.
post #15 of 24
Will a headphone amp really affect the k81dj's sound? If yes, how so?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › pa2v2... am I listening to them wrong?