Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › An unexpected audiophile recording: Pavement "Brighten the Corners"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

An unexpected audiophile recording: Pavement "Brighten the Corners"

post #1 of 34
Thread Starter 
if you have a copy of pavement's "brighten the corners" pop it into your best rig and have a listen. this album is pure alt-rock-country fun, with few production gimmicks. if you like your rock raw and honestly recorded, check this album out.
post #2 of 34
I love this album, it's one that might not appeal to someone who hasn't heard Pavement but I think it was something where they just did their own thing. I think it has an "our masks are off" type of feel to it.
post #3 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshifter View Post
if you have a copy of pavement's "brighten the corners" pop it into your best rig and have a listen. this album is pure alt-rock-country fun, with few production gimmicks. if you like your rock raw and honestly recorded, check this album out.
Love the album, love the anniversary re-issues of earlier albums, love Pavement.
post #4 of 34
wow i didnt know that brighten the corners was a decent recording. I should give it another listen
post #5 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinp6301 View Post
wow i didnt know that brighten the corners was a decent recording. I should give it another listen
i like the plain style of the recording, almost like a classical or jazz recording. i hear lots of dynamics, and great extention in the frequency extremes. it doesn't jump out at you as "audiophile" because the production is so basic.

glad to hear from other pavement fans! i think the shins owe a great deal to pavement.
post #6 of 34
Listening to Pavement has really got me into other indie bands alike The Shins, especially nowadays that's mainly all I listen to. There's one band I like that was influenced a lot by Pavement and that's Say Hi To Your Mom, I read on their website that they are big Pavement fans. One thing I like about them is the lyrics, which is great because that's one of my favorite things about Pavement and it's cool to see them write songs with good lyrics as well.

But Pavement is definately one of my all-time favorites. I'm still very into Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks, I unfortunately just missed a show by them a couple of weeks ago because they played at a pretty small venue and it sold out before I could get tickets. "Face the Truth" was phenomenal. Malkmus has such a good voice even though he doesn't technically sing great, the songs always have a lot of feeling and the moods of the songs are so sweet.
post #7 of 34
Pavement and Sebadoh, Sebadoh and Pavement. I can never get enough of either.
post #8 of 34
Most of the Pavement I've heard has been very well, if plainly, recorded. I'll have to check out that one, though.
post #9 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshifter View Post
i like the plain style of the recording, almost like a classical or jazz recording. i hear lots of dynamics, and great extention in the frequency extremes. it doesn't jump out at you as "audiophile" because the production is so basic.

glad to hear from other pavement fans! i think the shins owe a great deal to pavement.
not only the shins, but basically the whole indie rock movement owes so much to them
post #10 of 34
Neat! I'll check this out, I've not heard a whole lot from them. Thanks for the recommendation, man.
post #11 of 34
The rattle of the drums at the beginning of "Fin" is one of my favorite parts of that album.

Also check out the album "Terror Twilight" I think that one has a great sound to it as well
post #12 of 34
Woweee Zowee is my fave though Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain probably gets the most listens. As corny as it sounds, I swear along with maybe Sinatra, Dylan, the Beatles, the Replacments and Kate Rusby and Radiohead (both so far), Pavement is the only band whose commercial releases never let me down to the end. Slow Century is worth checking out too. It's also been interesting to see Pavements status rise since their demise. Is it just me or has it been done at Nirvana's expense (which already sounds dated, no...)?
post #13 of 34
I agree with blessing in that pavement never disappointed, sure some records were better than others, but they never had a sophomore slump identity crisis like so many bands. They stayed true to their sound and yet never sounded redundant, they made the right record every time. As for the Nirvana thing, I never fell in love with them, there was some good music written by Nirvana but it was never special to me. What shouldn't be overlooked with Nirvana was the hysteria/trend/movement baggage they were stuck with.

my $0.02
post #14 of 34
For a few reasons, I didn't even HEAR Pavement until after they had split up. My question to those who were into them in the 90's (or anyone else who knows), is how popular were they? I know they never aspired to be a "commercial band" (yet did have one or two radio-friendly tunes), but did they ever play any venues larger than a club or lounge? Did their albums sell?
post #15 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gratefulshrink View Post
For a few reasons, I didn't even HEAR Pavement until after they had split up. My question to those who were into them in the 90's (or anyone else who knows), is how popular were they? I know they never aspired to be a "commercial band" (yet did have one or two radio-friendly tunes), but did they ever play any venues larger than a club or lounge? Did their albums sell?
they never signed with a major label (afaik) and early on kept the band kind of mysterious for some reason.

thanks for the recommendations; i'll be picking up wowee-zowee & cr, cr at lunch today.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › An unexpected audiophile recording: Pavement "Brighten the Corners"