Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule
So is it best to have it on your body and carry it through, or place the amp and the cables in that tray for the scanner?
(A random question, because I remember seeing an X-rayed gun on my last trip...are guns allowed as long as they aren't loaded?)
Never take anything through on your body; it will trigger an immediate full-screening. I hope that you are kidding about the firearm question! Unless you are Law Enforcement, they are absolutely prohibited, and, even then, you must be announced.
If you want to be safe and not have the TSA people man-handle your stuff, take it apart and spread it out in a try (tub) so that it's one layer. For those of you that have had no problems, try going through Newark with a densely packed portable. 20% of the time, they'll tear it apart, inspect it, delay you and then send it back through x-ray the way I said to do it in the first place. The other 80% of the time, it'll breeze right through the machine...