Head-Fi.org › Forums › Meets, Get-Togethers, Factory Tours › Head-Fi Meet Impressions, Trade Show Reports, Factory Tours › Party at Neil's Orpheus/K1000 Meet Impressions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Party at Neil's Orpheus/K1000 Meet Impressions - Page 5

post #61 of 160
Neil,

Congrats on your setup. I wish I can hear the Big O system some day. My amp is secially tuned for the R10s and my pair do have thunderous bass..pretty close to the L3000 really. I'm pretty satisfied and now I'm wondering about the Big O. I should never sold my Baby O to Tom Hankins!! Thanks for your impression b/w the R10 and the Big O.

Purk
post #62 of 160
Neilpeart, I notice the amp purchase - congrats!! I'm glad didn't end up settling for the K701s

Seriously, though let us know what you think.
post #63 of 160
We Bay-Area K1000 owners should have a K1000-only meet, since Leeav now has an Aleph 30, and I want to see how it performs.
post #64 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by humanflyz View Post
We Bay-Area K1000 owners should have a K1000-only meet, since Leeav now has an Aleph 30, and I want to see how it performs.
Well if you guys do it, I'd love to come along as the "non-K1000 owner contingent". I have yet to hear these headphones for a good period of time, even though I owned them at one point.

Neil
post #65 of 160
I'm in. At least I'll try to be. If I can't make it to the meet myself I'll see to it that the Sig 30 is made available.

Who'd have guessed that such a controversy would be stirred up? Except maybe Voltron -- see what you're getting me into? No more posts for me!!!
post #66 of 160
what! i want to hear that...
post #67 of 160
lol ill come if im off, ill bring the most budget setup. It will be a stock k1000 w/stock cable powered by an intergrated. I wonder whose got the most optimized setup. Then we can compare the two and find the best bang for buck in middle.
post #68 of 160

he90 = curse

u mean its possible to terminate the k1000 cable with spades and use it on any speaker amps????!!!!

Neil, a very honest piece of advice for you. Having 2 he90 = committing a great head-fi sin. A terrible curse will befall upon you. You can send it over me and I can take around 5 years to remove the curse free of charge. I dont mind paying the postage as well since it concerns the welfare of a head-fi fellow.
post #69 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konig View Post
u mean its possible to terminate the k1000 cable with spades and use it on any speaker amps????!!!!
Jeez where have you been?
post #70 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konig View Post
u mean its possible to terminate the k1000 cable with spades and use it on any speaker amps????!!!!
It is the standard way of driving them....
post #71 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by humanflyz View Post
Jeez where have you been?
OMG................

can u order custom made cables from other cable manufacturers other than the usual ones? (e.g. argento, audio revelation, acrolink, nordost) I doubt those guys even know how to recable the k1000.
post #72 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilPeart View Post
Guess who just bought an Aleph 30...




Loved the F1 and its unbelievable control over the AKGs and the Sig 30 evoked a warmer, more tube-like sound from the K1000, somewhat reminiscent of the EAR V20, if my memory serves me well (which it probably doesn’t).

Brownies+10 sec microwave tweak=bliss, HE90 be damned

Bruce - it wasn't your scent but I had a valid reason (recall your youthful days )

Neil,
Gracious host as always - where's that HEV70 PSU?

I think there were 4 pairs of K1000s present:
Bruce's hardwired Equinox
Mine (with the Belden tail) - Nicola you still have my Equinox tail!
humanflyz's with Blue dragon (and black box)
bob's (forgot what tail)

Regarding the HE90: I've been an outspoken fanboy of these cans for too long. I hate their vertical soundstage capabilities and their disappearing character. I really loathe their ability to retrieve such astounding detail and yet remain so smooth and listenable (yes Qualia, you are the most detailed but you're just not as endearing as the HE90 to these ears and really the HE90 is just a micron less detailed than you in the bass department). I'm not sure which amp I prefer with the HE90 because the HEV90/HE90 system is the smoothest I've ever heard. The ES-1s I've heard were pretty amazing too, and probably the most revealing I've ever heard the HE90s. The Blue Hawaii and KGSS may not sound the best with the HE60 or HE90 but I prefer the Omega II with the Blue Hawaii over any other amp (Stax or otherwise), but the HE90 easily outclasses the OII even when the mighty BH is driving it (IMO of course). When Neil finally receives that elusive ES-1 MAXXED OUT!!11!! I will be there to snatch a quick listen (if he allows my presence to besmirch his good name).

I had a blast as always and I promise I will pass on the crazy beer next time...

Nicola I hope you have an opportunity to hear the HE90 one day.

Hi Leeav,

nice to meet you again...

Yes, I still have your tail Equinox. What about that "Belden" cable you have?

I hope to hear one day an Orpheus, as I hope you will hear the K1000 with an outstanding SET 300B as the Air Tight is. I have no doubt about the quality of the HE90, but I know myself, and I'm a dynamic man
post #73 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konig View Post
u mean its possible to terminate the k1000 cable with spades and use it on any speaker amps????!!!!

Neil, a very honest piece of advice for you. Having 2 he90 = committing a great head-fi sin. A terrible curse will befall upon you. You can send it over me and I can take around 5 years to remove the curse free of charge. I dont mind paying the postage as well since it concerns the welfare of a head-fi fellow.
Where did you come from? Anyway, luckily I'm immune to your curse and as such, cannot be swayed to part with one of my HE90's. Go find one yourself. It is quite easy, in fact, I found another one the other day (no joke), and I am giving it to someone who has been wanting a pair for a while.

So you see, I do in fact try to help out (the right people) when I can

Btw - sometimes posting meaningful comments in impressions threads (like everyone else) can be a good thing; try it.

Neil
post #74 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwayswantmore View Post

Both tmarshal and I have had both units in-house. In my case I returned the F1 (for a refund and stuck with the Sig 30). Tmarshal still owns both, so I’ll leave it to him to represent his feelings on the two units.

.....
tmarshal and I have different sources, different ICs, and he has the Equinox hardwire, where I’m using an Anti-cable pigtail and stock cord to the phones.

IMO:

The F1 is very impressive, but (at least with my source) lacks the warmth and 3D depth I was able to obtain with the Sig 30. I say impressive in that it does have balls and detail – which are very obvious to pick out in a brief listening session. Some of the Sig 30’s virtues are pretty subtle – and may take a more time (or a more relaxed environment) to fully appreciate.
First of all let me thank everyone who attended this meet and gave their impressions. As a devoted K1000 owner, I appreciate all of your observations.

Regarding the First Watt F1 versus Signature 30 debate, I still hold to the conclusions that I drew in the following post:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpo...&postcount=100

I still own both amplifiers and can't see parting with either one. I use the F1 for critical listening and I use the Sig 30 for "relaxation" listening, and I love them both.

Even though I can't see parting with either amplifier, I have parted with a number of other high-quality headphones (O2, K701, HD650) just because they weren't getting used once my K1000 setup was configured.

I was surprised to hear that several of you didn't like the Equinox hardwire with the F1. My experience is different, but of course YMMV particularly in regard to which K1000 drivers you may be using, interconnects, balanced, etc. I haven't heard the Moon Audio cabling on the K1000s and would love the opportunity to do an A/B comparison.

A good source of information on the SAA Equinox Hardwire upgrade can be found at 6Moons:

http://6moons.com/audioreviews/stefa...rt2/k1000.html

I would love to hear more on this subject of K1000 cabling alternatives.

Again, my thanks to all for making this such a fun avocation.
post #75 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmarshl View Post
First of all let me thank everyone who attended this meet and gave their impressions. As a devoted K1000 owner, I appreciate all of your observations.

Regarding the First Watt F1 versus Signature 30 debate, I still hold to the conclusions that I drew in the following post:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpo...&postcount=100

I still own both amplifiers and can't see parting with either one. I use the F1 for critical listening and I use the Sig 30 for "relaxation" listening, and I love them both.

Even though I can't see parting with either amplifier, I have parted with a number of other high-quality headphones (O2, K701, HD650) just because they weren't getting used once my K1000 setup was configured.

I was surprised to hear that several of you didn't like the Equinox hardwire with the F1. My experience is different, but of course YMMV particularly in regard to which K1000 drivers you may be using, interconnects, balanced, etc. I haven't heard the Moon Audio cabling on the K1000s and would love the opportunity to do an A/B comparison.

A good source of information on the SAA Equinox Hardwire upgrade can be found at 6Moons:

http://6moons.com/audioreviews/stefa...rt2/k1000.html

I would love to hear more on this subject of K1000 cabling alternatives.

Again, my thanks to all for making this such a fun avocation.
Actually your comparison between the F1 and the RWA was what originally led me towards the F1. So I have you to thank for that

But my experiences with both them, albeit brief, don't exactly conform to yours. I actually found the F1 to be smoother AND more dynamic at the same time. This, however, is just based on a brief audition, and I would really have to get an in-home audition to make more assessments, which I'm hoping to do. But I doubt that I will be persuaded to switch amps for my K1000s, because like you said, the F1 controls the K1000s the best, hands down. The sense of power, dynamics, and fullness is much more palpable. I don't hear any of the usual complaints that are leveraged against the K1000s: brightness and lack of body.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Meets, Get-Togethers, Factory Tours › Head-Fi Meet Impressions, Trade Show Reports, Factory Tours › Party at Neil's Orpheus/K1000 Meet Impressions