or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 580 vs. HD 600 ?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD 580 vs. HD 600 ? - Page 4

post #46 of 53
If what i'm hearing is due to manufacturing differences... then my HD580s must've come from a really bad batch!!

There is a VAST difference between the two... not so much at quiet to mid volumes admittedly, but crank up the sound that little bit more, and the HD600s remain taut and strong whereas the HD580s turn to mush in comparison...
post #47 of 53
Thread Starter 
I've read that the metal mesh on the HD 600s, are easily dented in if your not careful, any comments?
post #48 of 53
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by Duncan
If what i'm hearing is due to manufacturing differences... then my HD580s must've come from a really bad batch!!

There is a VAST difference between the two... not so much at quiet to mid volumes admittedly, but crank up the sound that little bit more, and the HD600s remain taut and strong whereas the HD580s turn to mush in comparison...
Hey Duncan -> I just got my Senn' HD 580's, and all I can say is WOW! I'll do a mini review once their broken in a bit..... Can I ask you this? Just how LOUD do you listen to them? Out of curiosity, I cranked them out as loud as my ears could tolerate (VERY LOUD), and sounded super clean to my ears. Maybe your 580's DID come from a "bad batch"?..... Buy the way Duncan, I think you should take easy on your ears, man. You don't want to have to go into semi-retirement like Chadbang did, do you? GlowWorm
post #49 of 53
It depends on the music GlowWorm...

Dance music ~ I try to re-create the club

But, soft ~ mellow vocals, nice and quiet

I go up to about 1 o'clock on my x-can when it suits me, and someone else here (who's name eludes me) says that he can't go above 10 o'clock without it being unbearably loud if that helps you to know?!
post #50 of 53
Quote:
I've read that the metal mesh on the HD 600s, are easily dented in if your not careful, any comments?
This is true - my 600s have a slight dent when I accidentally sat on them once. Thankfully that was the only damage.

Quote:
anyone ever try testing 2 hd580's against each other (or 2 hd600's)? there are variations due to manufacturing (i mean if every driver off the line sounded the same, why would they have to be matched? )
I have two pairs of 580s and one pair of 600s. The 580s (bought several years apart) sound indistinguishable from each other after running in.

The 600s sound different from the 580s - a little darker, a little tighter; the 580s are a shade softer, there is a tiny amount less detail with the 580s but the sound is fuller and a little warmer. All of these differences are marginal. The 580s are more comfortable.

I have two Cardas blue cables, so I have been able to do a direct comparison between all of these headphones from the same amp simultaneously. (I used to own the Clou blue and red cables, but the Cardas is much better.)

I actually prefer the 580s.

Ross
post #51 of 53
Quote:
Originally posted by Ross
The 600s sound different from the 580s - a little darker, a little tighter; the 580s are a shade softer, there is a tiny amount less detail with the 580s but the sound is fuller and a little warmer. All of these differences are marginal. The 580s are more comfortable.
I agree with the comfort thing, the HD600s tend to pinch a little more...

Its interesting the assesment that you make between the 600s and the 580s... It fits the story of the HD565 / HD580 perfectly....

Tighter, definetly, the HD600 bass is a lot more there... the warmness of the HD580s detracts from them a little bit for me... to me personally it makes them sound a little congested...

All this bashing that i've been doing in the past few days, you'd think I hate the HD580s... you'd be wrong if you thought that, I still think that they are great 'phones, and I also think that they might well suit vocal orientated music better than the HD600s where the mushyness can be classed as warmth in the vocals... You certainly won't see mine in the FS forum anytime soon anyway
post #52 of 53

I don't believe they were sold with around or  > 3db difference, since this is clearly audible as a left or right orientation in the soundstage. While it might be acceptable as a US/Chinese standard; it won't do a as a 'Deutsche Industrie Norm' (DIN):-). I call BS on this.

post #53 of 53
Subscribed.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 580 vs. HD 600 ?