Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Whats the best headphone in the world?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Whats the best headphone in the world? - Page 2

post #16 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Because music is completely subjective. People prefer different types of sound reproduction (darker, brighter, colder, warmer, faster, slower, in-your-face, expansive soundstage, etc.). Listen to more higher end headphones and you'll see how there are many different sound signatures. For every plus there is a minus. High price doesn't equal the best in this hobby.
Bingo!

If there really is a best headphone in the world, there will only be one company selling one model to everyone who will be listening to only one genre of music.
post #17 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta_Nu View Post
Bingo!

If there really is a best headphone in the world, there will only be one company selling one model to everyone who will be listening to only one genre of music.
BOSE
post #18 of 44
The best is the one that kills for ever your upgraditis.
post #19 of 44
That would be the one that kills your hearing too ;-)
post #20 of 44
There is no best, but most respected headphones that are in "The King" category are

Sennheiser Orpheus
Sony MDR-R10
Audio Technica L3000
Grado HP1000
AKG K1000
Sony Qualia

and few others which i dont remember.
post #21 of 44
Well, I'd have to put the following on the list for sure. A few from experience, mostly from what I've read, though.

Sennheiser HD650
Sennheiser Orpheus
Beyerdynamic DT 880
AKG K 701
AKG K 1000
Etymotic ER-4
Ultimate Ears UE-10 Pro
Sony MDR-R10
Audio-Technica L3000
Audio-Technica AD2000

Sorry, but I don't think Grados cut it. They're not bad, but are a far cry from reference. I've used the DT 880s and HD 600s. I'll be getting the ER-4Ps soon, and based on my experience with the ER-6s, they should be pretty sweet. Cold, calculated, engineered neutrality wins. That's true hi-fi. No, really, it's the definition of the word!
post #22 of 44
Based on price alone (but still seem to be highly regarded around here):

AKG K1000
Audio-Technica ATH-L3000
Grado GS1000
Grado HP1000
Grado PS-1
Sennheiser HE60 "Baby Orpheus"
Sennheiser HE90 "Orpheus"
Sony MDR-R10
Sony Qualia 010
STAX SR-Omega I
STAX SR-Omega II
Ultimate Ears UE-10
Ultrasone Edition 9

I think we can agree that these are in "The King" category (Though some may not agree about the Grados), and that the rest (HD650, K701, etc.) are in the "hi-end" range.

EDIT: Or you could just call the above "hi-fi," and the rest (HD650, K701, etc.) as "mid-fi," as MaZa calls them.
post #23 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emon View Post
Well, I'd have to put the following on the list for sure. A few from experience, mostly from what I've read, though.

Sennheiser HD650
Sennheiser Orpheus
Beyerdynamic DT 880
AKG K 701
AKG K 1000
Etymotic ER-4
Ultimate Ears UE-10 Pro
Sony MDR-R10
Audio-Technica L3000
Audio-Technica AD2000

Sorry, but I don't think Grados cut it. They're not bad, but are a far cry from reference. I've used the DT 880s and HD 600s. I'll be getting the ER-4Ps soon, and based on my experience with the ER-6s, they should be pretty sweet. Cold, calculated, engineered neutrality wins. That's true hi-fi. No, really, it's the definition of the word!
I dont think midfi greats like DT880, K701 and HD650 and such is what thread started had in mind.

In current line of Grados they dont have "The King" (even though GS1000 is priced as one) headphone cuz they are way too specialty-type in sound IMHO, but old Joe Grado era HP1000 belongs up there AFAIK.
post #24 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emon View Post
Well, I'd have to put the following on the list for sure. A few from experience, mostly from what I've read, though.

Sennheiser HD650
Sennheiser Orpheus
Beyerdynamic DT 880
AKG K 701
AKG K 1000
Etymotic ER-4
Ultimate Ears UE-10 Pro
Sony MDR-R10
Audio-Technica L3000
Audio-Technica AD2000

Sorry, but I don't think Grados cut it. They're not bad, but are a far cry from reference. I've used the DT 880s and HD 600s. I'll be getting the ER-4Ps soon, and based on my experience with the ER-6s, they should be pretty sweet. Cold, calculated, engineered neutrality wins. That's true hi-fi. No, really, it's the definition of the word!
Because "best" is subjective, I'm sure you'll find many that disagree with you.

Note: Yes I use Grados, no, I'm not commenting on it because I've never tried Grados high end offerings.
post #25 of 44
I guess it's impossible to improve anything without compromises.But maybe there's a "best compromise so far" around.
post #26 of 44

W5000 @my corner

As commented by most, this is one of those hobbies (?) that is both personal and subjective. Audio presentation, price, design, build quality and not least the materials used are just some of the characteristics which are appreciated differently between listeners. Even within a single brand, there are different headphones catering for different taste. Many Audio Technica owners will find ATH-L3000 to be the quintessential AT head phone, but there are a number of us (2? ) who are happier with the ATH-W5000.

Then again, I’ve only heard a dozen or so headphones within that price range, and L3000 being the most. Having said that, W5000 has stemmed any further urge for head phone upgrade.
post #27 of 44
Yes it it personal. For example the other day, I took my E4s out and put on my old Senn PX100s, and was reminded of this cheap but "fun" 'phone I say if a can makes you bop your head and hear your music in a different light, then enjoy it
post #28 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaZa View Post
I dont think midfi greats like DT880, K701 and HD650 and such is what thread started had in mind.

In current line of Grados they dont have "The King" (even though GS1000 is priced as one) headphone cuz they are way too specialty-type in sound IMHO, but old Joe Grado era HP1000 belongs up there AFAIK.
They may not have the "King" status here on headfi where the majority use ipods and pc's as a source, but every professional review I've read has put them up with the best ever. They have compared them to the R10 (which is several times more expensive) and in at least 1 review, they preferred them to the R10. I definately prefer them to the R10, but I would put the HE-90 and O2 above the GS-1000.

The GS-1000 is new (not many owners yet) and they are still in production. As soon as they are discontinued, they will probably be legendary as that seems to be the case with all headphones. The HP-1000 was modestly priced and no one was screaming that they were an amazing deal. The same with the K-1000.

Who started the best ever headphone thread - there have been plenty of these and everyone seems to have different "bests", so it's an impossible question to answer.

My favorite of all time would be the K-1000 - I prefer it to the O2 and HE-90 and every other phone (obviously)

But I'd say the general consensus if that the HE-90 is hailed "King" by the majority - and for good reason. Its flat out amazing across the board.
post #29 of 44
The best headphone in current production is the Stax Omega II, IMO (although I must admit I don't own one). That's it. No contest. Given past contenders such as R10, Qualia 010, Omega I, HE90, K-1000, L3000, etc. are all gone, that does not bode well for the state of top headphones today.

Most of the models available today are very very good. However, IMO greatness eludes them.
post #30 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by robm321 View Post
Who started the best ever headphone thread - there have been plenty of these and everyone seems to have different "bests", so it's an impossible question to answer.
x2 Lets start naming every headphone known to man, since there's at least one big fan for every headphone. As for me, I recently got to try the k1000 and stats.....but still prefer my HD650 on my current rig. HD650 FTW!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Whats the best headphone in the world?