or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG K601 & K612 Pro Owners... UNITE!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AKG K601 & K612 Pro Owners... UNITE!! - Page 66

post #976 of 2232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraya View Post
 

Thanks kman,

 

And considering you are open minded about the closed back, have you heard or know much on the K171? I like their physical design the best, but I question whether they would have the sound stage or the clarity that the K612 might. Also they come with some amenities, like detachable cord and etc.


Well I do find the majority of open-backs to sound better. It's really hard to find a truly good closed back. The K171 won't have the soundstage, clarity, detail, refinement, naturalness of sound, etc. when compared to the K612. The K612 is going to be the better headphone by a large margin without a doubt. I do wish the K612 came with a detachable cord but ended up not being that big of a deal for me at least.

post #977 of 2232

I'll start off by saying that I own the K240 Studio and K601.

 

The 601, 612, K240, K171 and K270 all have a similar elastic band setup. The 601 and 612 are just a more modern take on the classic design. That's where the similarities end though. The build quality of the K601's drivers, frame, cups, pads and cable are far better than the K240 Studio and the rest of the pro line. I really have nothing against the pro line of AKG's headphones, but the build quality and sonics of the audiophile line is far better in my opinion. The cost of the K612 isn't much more, either.

 

Based on my listening (K240 and K601), there's much more resolving detail and frequency range in the K601. It's more refined and less peaky, likely because of the design of the driver units and cups. Using K702 pads on my K601 resulted in a massive upgrade as well. Pad rolling on my K240 hasn't made a positive difference. 

 

What would you rather spend your money on?

 

This:

http://cdn.head-fi.org/1/11/350x700px-LL-1123dd43_akg-240-5.jpeg

 

Or this:

http://cdn.head-fi.org/f/f2/350x700px-LL-f2373b5d_k612-03.jpeg

 

Keep in mind the pro line share very similar drivers and overall construction. Seeing the inside of my K240 Studio was enough to make me want to ignore all but AKG's flagship line.

post #978 of 2232
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman1211 View Post
 


Well I do find the majority of open-backs to sound better. It's really hard to find a truly good closed back. The K171 won't have the soundstage, clarity, detail, refinement, naturalness of sound, etc. when compared to the K612. The K612 is going to be the better headphone by a large margin without a doubt. I do wish the K612 came with a detachable cord but ended up not being that big of a deal for me at least.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punnisher View Post
 

I'll start off by saying that I own the K240 Studio and K601.

 

The 601, 612, K240, K171 and K270 all have a similar elastic band setup. The 601 and 612 are just a more modern take on the classic design. That's where the similarities end though. The build quality of the K601's drivers, frame, cups, pads and cable are far better than the K240 Studio and the rest of the pro line. I really have nothing against the pro line of AKG's headphones, but the build quality and sonics of the audiophile line is far better in my opinion. The cost of the K612 isn't much more, either.

 

Based on my listening (K240 and K601), there's much more resolving detail and frequency range in the K601. It's more refined and less peaky, likely because of the design of the driver units and cups. Using K702 pads on my K601 resulted in a massive upgrade as well. Pad rolling on my K240 hasn't made a positive difference. 

 

What would you rather spend your money on?

 

This:

http://cdn.head-fi.org/1/11/350x700px-LL-1123dd43_akg-240-5.jpeg

 

Or this:

http://cdn.head-fi.org/f/f2/350x700px-LL-f2373b5d_k612-03.jpeg

 

Keep in mind the pro line share very similar drivers and overall construction. Seeing the inside of my K240 Studio was enough to make me want to ignore all but AKG's flagship line.

 

Thanks gentlemen for the generous responses.

 

I can't at this point see any glaring reason then to not get the K612s.

post #979 of 2232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraya View Post
 

 

 

 

Thanks gentlemen for the generous responses.

 

I can't at this point see any glaring reason then to not get the K612s.


No problem. The K612 is a bit on the demanding side and I found it like forward and dynamic sounding amps to sound it's best.

post #980 of 2232
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman1211 View Post
 


No problem. The K612 is a bit on the demanding side and I found it like forward and dynamic sounding amps to sound it's best.

I'll be going ampless into the DAC for a while, and then deciding on an amp.

Lastly, in the event the cord should get damaged/need recabling, or those headband stretchers snap, is it going to have to be a DIY, or do AKG have licensed repair companies?

post #981 of 2232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraya View Post
 

I'll be going ampless into the DAC for a while, and then deciding on an amp.

Lastly, in the event the cord should get damaged/need recabling, or those headband stretchers snap, is it going to have to be a DIY, or do AKG have licensed repair companies?


Oh I see. I would do some research into amps with the headphone, the K612 is a bit on the picky side.

Well I believe you can contact AKG to get it fixed if that happens, never had to mess with repairs before so I don't really know.

post #982 of 2232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraya View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman1211 View Post
 


No problem. The K612 is a bit on the demanding side and I found it like forward and dynamic sounding amps to sound it's best.

I'll be going ampless into the DAC for a while, and then deciding on an amp.

Lastly, in the event the cord should get damaged/need recabling, or those headband stretchers snap, is it going to have to be a DIY, or do AKG have licensed repair companies?

 

Yup you can send to AKG to repair. I would send to them for things like the recable, but the headband is pretty easy to repair. 

post #983 of 2232

To further my impressions of the K701 pads from page 64, with additional listening I've got more of an idea on how I believe the K701 pads affect the treble on the K601. What I'm hearing is a loss of impact from the treble, with high pitched sounds losing some snap, and cymbals losing some of their crash. In fact, I think there's a loss of impact from all regions of the sound. Brass instruments lose some of their rasp, and woodwind instruments drop some of their resonance. The punch of drums is reduced, and bass is rounded off.

 

 

It's interesting to note that with a (must be said not entirely thorough) search of this thread, I seem to be the only one with impressions of the K701 pads on the K601. All other impressions I can find are of the K702 pads. Whether there are actually any differences between the K701 and K702 pads other than colour I don't know, so perhaps later I will trawl through some of the K701/K702 threads to see if any comparisons have been made there.

 

That being said, not all impressions of the K702 pads disagree with mine entirely, especially the older ones. I think there's a lot of personal taste involved here (which is unsurprising as ever), not to mention variations in equipment. Nonetheless, I certainly don't want my experience with the pads to sway others from trying them, as they're a relatively inexpensive tweak that may or may not improve the K601 to your liking. But think of them as just that - a "tweak"; if you don't like the overall presentation of the K601, don't expect the K701/2 pads to work miracles.

post #984 of 2232
Soon I'll be buying a pair of K712 pads to try on my K612. Will report back when I do...
post #985 of 2232

G'day...I'm a gamer. ARMA 2/3 Mainly.

 

I grabbed the Philips X1's recently but they are too heavy for me (430 grams vs average AKG @ 240grams) when using a TrackIR unit.

 

Has anyone here been using the K612 Pro's for FPS gaming and what's your experience with them...are they TOO bright at all? I'll be running them through a XF-i Titanium HD card and then amped via a JDS Labs O2 amp.

 

Help appreciated guys

 

Cheers

 

motorwayne

post #986 of 2232
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorwayne View Post

G'day...I'm a gamer. ARMA 2/3 Mainly.

I grabbed the Philips X1's recently but they are too heavy for me (430 grams vs average AKG @ 240grams) when using a TrackIR unit.

Has anyone here been using the K612 Pro's for FPS gaming and what's your experience with them...are they TOO bright at all? I'll be running them through a XF-i Titanium HD card and then amped via a JDS Labs O2 amp.

Help appreciated guys

Cheers

motorwayne

Not bright at all. I play BF4 with them all the time since I've had them.

Razordog has the K612 for $165 using promo code K612PRO
post #987 of 2232
Bass big enough?
post #988 of 2232

These headphones are nuetral from bottom (with a little warmth) to top, for my taste.

 

Bass is far from X1 big if that is what you're asking...


Edited by Change is Good - 1/30/14 at 3:51pm
post #989 of 2232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Change is Good View Post

These headphones are nuetral from bottom (with a little warmth) to top, for my taste.

Bass is far from X1 big if that is what you're asking...

No, not trying to get X1 level, just more talking about how the bass appear in BF4 as I have that too.

cheers and thanks
post #990 of 2232
Well I have taken the plunge and grabbed some K612 Pro's :-) Hope they rock and roll in ARMA. Will give feedback.

cheers
Edited by motorwayne - 1/30/14 at 7:36pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG K601 & K612 Pro Owners... UNITE!!