Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG K601 & K612 Pro Owners... UNITE!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AKG K601 & K612 Pro Owners... UNITE!! - Page 81

post #1201 of 1709
Quote:
Originally Posted by appsmarsterx View Post

no. I was talking about 712pro hype smily_headphones1.gif

I've owned the K712, before, and now own the K612. Just had them both side by side, recently, and while more refined, it did not make we want to upgrade back to it.

The K702 pads on the K612 had a lot to do with that decision, though. I'd probably pick the K712 over the stock K612, but not the K612 w/702 pads...
post #1202 of 1709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Change is Good View Post


I've owned the K712, before, and now own the K612. Just had them both side by side, recently, and while more refined, it did not make we want to upgrade back to it.

The K702 pads on the K612 had a lot to do with that decision, though. I'd probably pick the K712 over the stock K612, but not the K612 w/702 pads...

I traded my K702 because I liked the 601 w/ 702 pads so much better. They beat them out in every way.

post #1203 of 1709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punnisher View Post
 

I traded my K702 because I liked the 601 w/ 702 pads so much better. They beat them out in every way.


The biggest thing I found to be better about the K601 and K612 over the K7 series is that they are much more transparent. I have the K712 but I never really get the sense that I am not listening to a headphone with the K712, it's just not all that transparent. I can always tell I'm listening to a headphone. My K612 and my HD 545 on the other hand I pretty much never get the sense I am listening to a headphone.


Edited by kman1211 - 5/1/14 at 10:48pm
post #1204 of 1709
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman1211 View Post
 


The biggest thing I found to be better about the K601 and K612 over the K7 series is that they are much more transparent. I have the K712 but I never get the sense that I am not listening to a headphone with the K712, it's just not all that transparent. I can always tell I'm listening to a headphone. My K612 and my HD 545 on the other hand I pretty much never get the sense I am listening to a headphone.

 

Not only are they more transparent, they are also the most versatile when pad switching... :cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punnisher View Post
 

I traded my K702 because I liked the 601 w/ 702 pads so much better. They beat them out in every way.

 

That's what I'm sayin'!

post #1205 of 1709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Change is Good View Post
 

 

Not only are they more transparent, they are also the most versatile when pad switching... :cool:

 

That's what I'm sayin'!


That is true, heck I think they sound pretty good on the K712 pads, a bit too bassy but otherwise fine, doesn't seem to impact the transparency any. I am debating whether to trade my K712 in for an HD 600. I know clamping force is an issue but thankfully I have the HD 545 and I can just use the HD 545s wider and less clampy headband.


Edited by kman1211 - 5/1/14 at 10:55pm
post #1206 of 1709
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman1211 View Post
 


That is true, heck I think they sound pretty good on the K712 pads, a bit too bassy but otherwise fine, doesn't seem to impact the transparency any. I am debating whether to trade my K712 in for an HD 600. I know clamping force is an issue but thankfully I have the HD 545 and I can just use the HD 545s wider and less clampy headband.

 

Hmmmm... I wish I had one to trade with ya! 

post #1207 of 1709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Change is Good View Post
 

 

Hmmmm... I wish I had one to trade with ya! 


I'm still debating it, going to give the K712 more time. And I need to compared the HD 600 to the HD 545 first as I'm not really sure if the HD 600 is really any better.

post #1208 of 1709
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman1211 View Post
 


I'm still debating it, going to give the K712 more time. And I need to compared the HD 600 to the HD 545 first as I'm not really sure if the HD 600 is really any better.

 

may be give 712pro just another week ?.. so meantime, can you please do a full in-depth comparison between 612pro vs 712pro ?  that ll really help some folks here too.

post #1209 of 1709
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman1211 View Post
 


I'm still debating it, going to give the K712 more time. And I need to compared the HD 600 to the HD 545 first as I'm not really sure if the HD 600 is really any better.

 

I wish you could give it, here, like I said! Maybe once you decide to sell them I'll have some spare funds... :wink_face:

post #1210 of 1709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Change is Good View Post
 

 

I wish you could give it, here, like I said! Maybe once you decide to sell them I'll have some spare funds... :wink_face:


I have to give the K712 more time as I found the K612 somewhat lacking in transparency the first few weeks of use, they took some time to open up in terms of transparency. I haven't quite decided to sell them yet, I just didn't think it to be this hard to decide which I like better. If I do sell them, I'll keep you in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by appsmarsterx View Post
 

 

may be give 712pro just another week ?.. so meantime, can you please do a full in-depth comparison between 612pro vs 712pro ?  that ll really help some folks here too.


I'm giving it at least a month or two. I will be doing a comprehensive comparison of the two headphones, probably in the form of it's own thread like the MA900 vs K612 comparison but more in-depth. My system has had a big upgrade since that review, especially since my new DAC and new tubes which are very transparent.


Edited by kman1211 - 5/2/14 at 12:04am
post #1211 of 1709

Kman check your PMs

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman1211 View Post
 


I have to give the K712 more time as I found the K612 somewhat lacking in transparency the first few weeks of use, they took some time to open up in terms of transparency. I haven't quite decided to sell them yet, I just didn't think it to be this hard to decide which I like better. If I do sell them, I'll keep you in mind.


 

 

Are they the same ohms? I would have thought the amplifier plays a part in this.

 

The 612s have been proving harder to power than I initially thought. I tried them with a Schiit Vali and it strained to give them high volume and more importantly any punch. Where as the Objective 2 with it's +gain button manages to feed them the juice they require and put authority behind it. Having said that, I am aware that the Vali offers 4 gain as standard, in contrast to the O2's 2.5 and 6.5 (low/high respectively). Yet the difference between the Vali's 4 and the O2's 6.5 is very noticeable. I would think this is down to the ohms impedence on the O2 being lower than the Vali. Meanwhile the RMS at 600 ohms is apparently higher on the Vali than the O2. 

 

I don't understand then why it's more quite - other than the less gain.


Edited by Saraya - 5/3/14 at 6:52am
post #1212 of 1709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraya View Post
 

Kman check your PMs

 

 

 

Are they the same ohms? I would have thought the amplifier plays a part in this.

 

The 612s have been proving harder to power than I initially thought. I tried them with a Schiit Vali and it strained to give them high volume and more importantly any punch. Where as the Objective two with it's +gain button manages to feed them the juice they require and put authority behind it.

Weird, even my Xonar DG has no problem driving my 612pro

post #1213 of 1709

The DG is quite powerful all things considered. However that's when in headphone mode and you're using one of the amp settings, such as Pro or Exciter.

I posted my comparisons of the feature settings here http://www.head-fi.org/t/716099/what-output-gain-is-best-safe-612s-asus-o2

 

 

I no longer use the headphone setting, and instead choose two speaker. Two speaker equates to the Headphone setting with Pro amplifier level, in terms of volume. It also has a bit better soundstage, if albeit slightly. The more useful result is that Two speaker + 8 channel provides better quality than headphone + 8 channel, and the 8 channel is important to me for games.


Edited by Saraya - 5/3/14 at 7:03am
post #1214 of 1709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraya View Post
 

The DG is quite powerful all things considered. However that's when in headphone mode and you're using one of the amp settings, such as Pro or Exciter.

I posted my comparisons of the feature settings here http://www.head-fi.org/t/716099/what-output-gain-is-best-safe-612s-asus-o2

 

 

I no longer use the headphone setting, and instead choose two speaker. Two speaker equates to the Headphone setting with Pro amplifier level, in terms of volume. It also has a bit better soundstage, if albeit slightly. The more useful result is that Two speaker + 8 channel provides better quality than headphone + 8 channel, and the 8 channel is important to me for games.

Setting it to speaker gives you a line level output which I assume is bypassing the amp. All the different gain modes do is add volume, they shouldn't sound any different at the same volume levels.

post #1215 of 1709

Yes, bypassing the amp is probably what's happening, and would be the cleaner way to do things. This is the exact reason I made the other thread, to get people's thoughts on whether I should double amp in order to get the volume/punch I wanted, or use the line out and O2's high gain instead. 

Though I answered my own question in the end, and that raised the curiosity concerning the Vali. Without the additional gain, it can't make my 612s strong enough, no matter what speaker mode I use.


Edited by Saraya - 5/3/14 at 7:22am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG K601 & K612 Pro Owners... UNITE!!