To clarify, I have 2 DAC's...the one on the mobo and the one on the m-audio black-box...both which support more than good enough audio for my purposes. I even have a ****ty usb DAC (creatvie x-fi in stereo for the laptop) all of which should be more than good enough. The question is why the output is so friggin' low? I get a medium-volume output on the phones regardless of chosen output...which is loud enough for my purposes, but as this is max volume, just wondering why? Do I really need to find some tube headphone preamp? My guess is that this set of cans just has a very high impedance or something...and only sound good when really driven by a proper set of phone-amps...or something. Open to suggestions...but can't see a pcie board being part of that solution...may have to resort to some line-out to tubeamp/solid-state solution...(wow last time I got this involved was when I used to play guitar! As you know, tubes are all-important there!)...
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- First good headphones? Last post on 12/15/11 at 11:21am in Headphones (full-size)
- I really need some expertise Last post on 10/5/11 at 2:27pm in Headphones (full-size)
- headphone upgrade help! Last post on 8/24/11 at 10:25am in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado and AKG K601 / K701, *and* [added] Beyer DT880/250's Last post on 10/13/10 at 9:40pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Choosing between AKG 701, DT 880, AD900's and AH-D2000's Last post on 7/2/12 at 12:32pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I remember browsing the ebay like many of you guys do to see what is out there in portable amplifier land and this one caught my attention because for one it looked very nice and second it...
Intro The HE-400i is the latest headphone from Hifiman. It was released recently as a replacement for the popular HE-400. This write-up will give my initial impressions of the HE-400i as well as...
There's not much that haven't been said about this amazing universal IEM so I'll try not to repeat. I bought the TG334 at Fujiya Avic...thanks to AnakChan for his strong recommendation and for...
This is a review of Logitech/Ultimate Ears UE900s multi-driver in-ear monitors. http://www.ultimateears.com/en-us/900s The original UE900 was my first pair of hi-fi IEMs, the one which opened...
Brainwavz S5 Review: There are questions, and then there are questions that you get asked constantly. One of the most common requests of knowledge from me are on if unit X is better than unit...
AKG K601 & K612 Pro Owners... UNITE!! - Page 75
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1112 of 14193/19/14 at 5:46pmpost #1113 of 14193/19/14 at 5:49pm
Such as? Sorry...should have read the specs and realized they needed an external headphone amp (do we call it a preamp or amp? dunno, from guitar world here...)...
Remember have tried them through both a black box and m-audio speakers, all set to max...result low-medium volume...maybe somewhere in the signal chain it needs to get boosted earlier...
Edit: or there is some stupid windows setting...that would be typical...
Edited by squidman - 3/19/14 at 5:53pmpost #1114 of 14193/19/14 at 5:53pmpost #1115 of 14193/19/14 at 5:55pmpost #1116 of 14193/19/14 at 6:00pmAnd to clarify, yet again, these headphones require more juice than the average headphone. That is why, at max volume on your regular source, it only sounds average (at best).
You need a proper headphone amp for these, my friend... nothing more I can say...post #1117 of 14193/19/14 at 6:02pm
BTW change is good, you're not serious about the amp? Eller? a hahahahaha den var god! Uff da (ok I guess you are serious! But in Norwegian, the translation is **** Asgaard 2!....Classic name! You're a true viking!)...and the website is...you guessed it...http://schiit.com/products/asgard-2! Sorry, will have to lie down laughing for a bit here!!!post #1118 of 14193/19/14 at 6:06pm
Ok thanks mate...sent a post which may have been unsuitable for younger audiences (well you did have to reference the Asgard 2 amp! ahahaha...sounds great in Norwegian!)...but prbly got deleted by mod. Anyway, thanks for the heads-up, much appreciated. How on earth can they come up with a name like that?post #1119 of 14193/19/14 at 6:09pmQuote:
They need an amp that can drive them well and has good synergy with them. There are various amps you can get with them to bring out their potential. The Hifiman EF2A is another good match for the K612. They are inefficient headphones and a powerful headphone amp is a must for them.post #1120 of 14193/19/14 at 6:16pmQuote:Originally Posted by squidman
Ok thanks mate...sent a post which may have been unsuitable for younger audiences (well you did have to reference the Asgard 2 amp! ahahaha...sounds great in Norwegian!)...but prbly got deleted by mod. Anyway, thanks for the heads-up, much appreciated. How on earth can they come up with a name like that?
Don't want to go off topic, but here's a great read about how they came about...
And did I mention the K612 absolutely shines on the Asgard 2?!?post #1121 of 14193/19/14 at 6:28pm
Ok thanks mate...anything around the 200 buck mark? Will check out links, back up on the laptop (beast is rendering away)...disappointed the black box doesn't have the juice to power them...hilarious story regarding asgard...akg should really let peps know that they need an external headphone amp...again extremely disappointed. Will have a go again at resoldering beloved 141's, they were really a great set of cans.
Srry my bad wil check out your suggestions...
Edited by squidman - 3/19/14 at 6:29pmpost #1122 of 14193/19/14 at 6:37pmpost #1123 of 14193/19/14 at 6:41pmQuote:
Ask those questions in that thread. Let's try to stay on topic, here, with the K601/K612...post #1124 of 14193/20/14 at 3:52am
- AKG K601 & K612 Pro Owners... UNITE!!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 2 minutes ago
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 2 minutes ago
- › Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones 3 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-X 7 minutes ago
- › What is the next big event for audio in Orange County? 8 minutes ago
- › Headphone-palooza shoot-out! 8 cans reviewed here! 8 minutes ago
- › HM-901 9 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 10 minutes ago
- › I need help choosing headphones? 10 minutes ago
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by Dsnuts
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by canuckavelli
- › FitEar TO GO! 334 by Francisk
- › Logitech UE 900 by twister6
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by bowei006
- › Resonessence Labs Concero HP by cleg
- › JDS Labs C5D by TheGame21x
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by twister6
- › Shure SE215 by Existence
- › Audiofly AF140 In-Ear Headphones (Gray) by Loquah
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)