To clarify, I have 2 DAC's...the one on the mobo and the one on the m-audio black-box...both which support more than good enough audio for my purposes. I even have a ****ty usb DAC (creatvie x-fi in stereo for the laptop) all of which should be more than good enough. The question is why the output is so friggin' low? I get a medium-volume output on the phones regardless of chosen output...which is loud enough for my purposes, but as this is max volume, just wondering why? Do I really need to find some tube headphone preamp? My guess is that this set of cans just has a very high impedance or something...and only sound good when really driven by a proper set of phone-amps...or something. Open to suggestions...but can't see a pcie board being part of that solution...may have to resort to some line-out to tubeamp/solid-state solution...(wow last time I got this involved was when I used to play guitar! As you know, tubes are all-important there!)...
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- First good headphones? Last post on 12/15/11 at 11:21am in Headphones (full-size)
- I really need some expertise Last post on 10/5/11 at 2:27pm in Headphones (full-size)
- headphone upgrade help! Last post on 8/24/11 at 10:25am in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado and AKG K601 / K701, *and* [added] Beyer DT880/250's Last post on 10/13/10 at 9:40pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Choosing between AKG 701, DT 880, AD900's and AH-D2000's Last post on 7/2/12 at 12:32pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Background and listening experience: I bought these as a complementary headphone for my ZMF Vibros. I wanted something open and I've been curious about Audio Technica for a while. In the past, I've...
I don’t get asked very often about the Private 333 amongst the Fitear customs I own. Nor do you hear people raving about it as you might in respect of the C435, the MH 334 and the MH335DW....
Before I begin with my review of the Beyerdynamic XP1, all of the below are solely what I’ve managed to get out of the IEM, I suggest to try it out or read some other people’s review to get a...
See The Whole Review With Pictures Here: http://db-headphones.blogspot.com ... Oh and ignore the sliders for the audio quality, value etc. I can't edit the slider scoring on mobile. Disclaimer: I...
Disclaimer First of all, huge thanks to Audrey and the Brainwavz team for giving me the opportunity to write this review. Please note that I was not paid to write this review, nor am I...
AKG K601 & K612 Pro Owners... UNITE!! - Page 75
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1112 of 16193/19/14 at 5:46pmpost #1113 of 16193/19/14 at 5:49pm
Such as? Sorry...should have read the specs and realized they needed an external headphone amp (do we call it a preamp or amp? dunno, from guitar world here...)...
Remember have tried them through both a black box and m-audio speakers, all set to max...result low-medium volume...maybe somewhere in the signal chain it needs to get boosted earlier...
Edit: or there is some stupid windows setting...that would be typical...
Edited by squidman - 3/19/14 at 5:53pmpost #1114 of 16193/19/14 at 5:53pmpost #1115 of 16193/19/14 at 5:55pmpost #1116 of 16193/19/14 at 6:00pmAnd to clarify, yet again, these headphones require more juice than the average headphone. That is why, at max volume on your regular source, it only sounds average (at best).
You need a proper headphone amp for these, my friend... nothing more I can say...post #1117 of 16193/19/14 at 6:02pm
BTW change is good, you're not serious about the amp? Eller? a hahahahaha den var god! Uff da (ok I guess you are serious! But in Norwegian, the translation is **** Asgaard 2!....Classic name! You're a true viking!)...and the website is...you guessed it...http://schiit.com/products/asgard-2! Sorry, will have to lie down laughing for a bit here!!!post #1118 of 16193/19/14 at 6:06pm
Ok thanks mate...sent a post which may have been unsuitable for younger audiences (well you did have to reference the Asgard 2 amp! ahahaha...sounds great in Norwegian!)...but prbly got deleted by mod. Anyway, thanks for the heads-up, much appreciated. How on earth can they come up with a name like that?post #1119 of 16193/19/14 at 6:09pmQuote:
They need an amp that can drive them well and has good synergy with them. There are various amps you can get with them to bring out their potential. The Hifiman EF2A is another good match for the K612. They are inefficient headphones and a powerful headphone amp is a must for them.post #1120 of 16193/19/14 at 6:16pmQuote:Originally Posted by squidman
Ok thanks mate...sent a post which may have been unsuitable for younger audiences (well you did have to reference the Asgard 2 amp! ahahaha...sounds great in Norwegian!)...but prbly got deleted by mod. Anyway, thanks for the heads-up, much appreciated. How on earth can they come up with a name like that?
Don't want to go off topic, but here's a great read about how they came about...
And did I mention the K612 absolutely shines on the Asgard 2?!?post #1121 of 16193/19/14 at 6:28pm
Ok thanks mate...anything around the 200 buck mark? Will check out links, back up on the laptop (beast is rendering away)...disappointed the black box doesn't have the juice to power them...hilarious story regarding asgard...akg should really let peps know that they need an external headphone amp...again extremely disappointed. Will have a go again at resoldering beloved 141's, they were really a great set of cans.
Srry my bad wil check out your suggestions...
Edited by squidman - 3/19/14 at 6:29pmpost #1122 of 16193/19/14 at 6:37pmpost #1123 of 16193/19/14 at 6:41pmQuote:
Ask those questions in that thread. Let's try to stay on topic, here, with the K601/K612...post #1124 of 16193/20/14 at 3:52am
- AKG K601 & K612 Pro Owners... UNITE!!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 20 seconds ago
- › Pictures of Your *Budget-Fi* Portable Rig (< $200) 38 seconds ago
- › Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics! 56 seconds ago
- › JH Roxanne with AK 240 special edition for japan market only AKR 03 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › Music Game IX 1 minute ago
- › Audio Technica ATH- ES 10 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › The all-purpose ultracapacitor-powered Vinnie Rossi LIO 3 minutes ago
- › JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC appreciation +... 3 minutes ago
- › IHIFI 760 + NEW 770 (lucky pg#13) : From makers of the 812V2 / 960 5 minutes ago
- › Audio-technica AIR Dynamic Headphones Ath-ad900x by manbear
- › FitEar Private 333 by Kiats
- › Beyerdynamic XP1 by SawItComing
- › Audio-Technica ATH-WS77 SOLID BASS Portable Headphones (Japan Import) by DisCHORDDubstep
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by thatBeatsguy
- › Fostex TH 900 by smitty1110
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by aquamacs
- › Audio Technica ATH-IM02 balanced amature inner earphone by thatonenoob
- › DUNU DN-2000 Hybrid 3 way earphone by thatonenoob
- › Fidue A83 Reference Class Triple Hybrid IEM by H20Fidelity
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)