To clarify, I have 2 DAC's...the one on the mobo and the one on the m-audio black-box...both which support more than good enough audio for my purposes. I even have a ****ty usb DAC (creatvie x-fi in stereo for the laptop) all of which should be more than good enough. The question is why the output is so friggin' low? I get a medium-volume output on the phones regardless of chosen output...which is loud enough for my purposes, but as this is max volume, just wondering why? Do I really need to find some tube headphone preamp? My guess is that this set of cans just has a very high impedance or something...and only sound good when really driven by a proper set of phone-amps...or something. Open to suggestions...but can't see a pcie board being part of that solution...may have to resort to some line-out to tubeamp/solid-state solution...(wow last time I got this involved was when I used to play guitar! As you know, tubes are all-important there!)...
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- First good headphones? Last post on 12/15/11 at 11:21am in Headphones (full-size)
- I really need some expertise Last post on 10/5/11 at 2:27pm in Headphones (full-size)
- headphone upgrade help! Last post on 8/24/11 at 10:25am in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado and AKG K601 / K701, *and* [added] Beyer DT880/250's Last post on 10/13/10 at 9:40pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Choosing between AKG 701, DT 880, AD900's and AH-D2000's Last post on 7/2/12 at 12:32pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I got a sansa clip+ for my pair of custom iems. Really small, really portable, big nice clip to clip on something while training. Almost perfect sound, some audible noise (really really low, like...
overall nice headphones, with proper bass and sound and i am still burning it, rest of things i will discuss after complete burning process
I had to finally put my Shure 4ECs to rest and have been on the search for months to find a replacement. I like sub bass and a balanced sound and value build quality. My Shures were built tough...
Me: I am a 21 year old student living in a small town in India. I would like to call myself a music enthusiast, rather than an audiophile. I was inspired by music since childhood, and as the time...
Brainwavz continues to step up their game. This time it's in the realm of Bluetooth! The BLU-100 is a budget-priced IEM that is very well-designed and offers very good sound for anyone that needs...
AKG K601 & K612 Pro Owners... UNITE!! - Page 75
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1112 of 19103/19/14 at 5:46pmpost #1113 of 19103/19/14 at 5:49pm
Such as? Sorry...should have read the specs and realized they needed an external headphone amp (do we call it a preamp or amp? dunno, from guitar world here...)...
Remember have tried them through both a black box and m-audio speakers, all set to max...result low-medium volume...maybe somewhere in the signal chain it needs to get boosted earlier...
Edit: or there is some stupid windows setting...that would be typical...
Edited by squidman - 3/19/14 at 5:53pmpost #1114 of 19103/19/14 at 5:53pmpost #1115 of 19103/19/14 at 5:55pmpost #1116 of 19103/19/14 at 6:00pmAnd to clarify, yet again, these headphones require more juice than the average headphone. That is why, at max volume on your regular source, it only sounds average (at best).
You need a proper headphone amp for these, my friend... nothing more I can say...post #1117 of 19103/19/14 at 6:02pm
BTW change is good, you're not serious about the amp? Eller? a hahahahaha den var god! Uff da (ok I guess you are serious! But in Norwegian, the translation is **** Asgaard 2!....Classic name! You're a true viking!)...and the website is...you guessed it...http://schiit.com/products/asgard-2! Sorry, will have to lie down laughing for a bit here!!!post #1118 of 19103/19/14 at 6:06pm
Ok thanks mate...sent a post which may have been unsuitable for younger audiences (well you did have to reference the Asgard 2 amp! ahahaha...sounds great in Norwegian!)...but prbly got deleted by mod. Anyway, thanks for the heads-up, much appreciated. How on earth can they come up with a name like that?post #1119 of 19103/19/14 at 6:09pmQuote:
They need an amp that can drive them well and has good synergy with them. There are various amps you can get with them to bring out their potential. The Hifiman EF2A is another good match for the K612. They are inefficient headphones and a powerful headphone amp is a must for them.post #1120 of 19103/19/14 at 6:16pmQuote:Originally Posted by squidman
Ok thanks mate...sent a post which may have been unsuitable for younger audiences (well you did have to reference the Asgard 2 amp! ahahaha...sounds great in Norwegian!)...but prbly got deleted by mod. Anyway, thanks for the heads-up, much appreciated. How on earth can they come up with a name like that?
Don't want to go off topic, but here's a great read about how they came about...
And did I mention the K612 absolutely shines on the Asgard 2?!?post #1121 of 19103/19/14 at 6:28pm
Ok thanks mate...anything around the 200 buck mark? Will check out links, back up on the laptop (beast is rendering away)...disappointed the black box doesn't have the juice to power them...hilarious story regarding asgard...akg should really let peps know that they need an external headphone amp...again extremely disappointed. Will have a go again at resoldering beloved 141's, they were really a great set of cans.
Srry my bad wil check out your suggestions...
Edited by squidman - 3/19/14 at 6:29pmpost #1122 of 19103/19/14 at 6:37pmpost #1123 of 19103/19/14 at 6:41pmQuote:
Ask those questions in that thread. Let's try to stay on topic, here, with the K601/K612...post #1124 of 19103/20/14 at 3:52am
- AKG K601 & K612 Pro Owners... UNITE!!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › FiiO Mont Blanc/E12 portable headphone amp, 880mW, slim design,... 39 seconds ago
- › Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable 1 minute ago
- › Roll Call for Team AKG 1 minute ago
- › Denon AHM-M400 2 minutes ago
- › Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7 3 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 3 minutes ago
- › Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II 4 minutes ago
- › Reviews + impressions thread: Final Audio Design Pandora Hope VI... 4 minutes ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 5 minutes ago
- › Best Closed Cans for Classical Music, $200 max. 5 minutes ago
- › SanDisk Sansa Clip+ 8 GB MP3 Player (Black) by ardacer
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by sagar khichi
- › RHA MA750i by Onthecoast
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by YoYo JoKeR
- › Brainwavz BLU-100 Bluetooth IEMs by JoeDoe
- › Edifier Hi-Fi Stereo Headphone (H180 Black) by sharonbava
- › Ultimate Ears 200vi Noise-Isolating Headset, Blue by dkshifat
- › T-Peos Altone 150 in-ear monitor with detachable cables, mic and... by Hisoundfi
- › Beyerdynamic EDT 250 Velour Padded Earcushions for DT250, DT280,... by Trevayne10
- › Xiaomi Pistion III Youth Edition by julian67
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2