To clarify, I have 2 DAC's...the one on the mobo and the one on the m-audio black-box...both which support more than good enough audio for my purposes. I even have a ****ty usb DAC (creatvie x-fi in stereo for the laptop) all of which should be more than good enough. The question is why the output is so friggin' low? I get a medium-volume output on the phones regardless of chosen output...which is loud enough for my purposes, but as this is max volume, just wondering why? Do I really need to find some tube headphone preamp? My guess is that this set of cans just has a very high impedance or something...and only sound good when really driven by a proper set of phone-amps...or something. Open to suggestions...but can't see a pcie board being part of that solution...may have to resort to some line-out to tubeamp/solid-state solution...(wow last time I got this involved was when I used to play guitar! As you know, tubes are all-important there!)...
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- First good headphones? Last post on 12/15/11 at 11:21am in Headphones (full-size)
- I really need some expertise Last post on 10/5/11 at 2:27pm in Headphones (full-size)
- headphone upgrade help! Last post on 8/24/11 at 10:25am in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado and AKG K601 / K701, *and* [added] Beyer DT880/250's Last post on 10/13/10 at 9:40pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Choosing between AKG 701, DT 880, AD900's and AH-D2000's Last post on 7/2/12 at 12:32pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Nuforce HEM4 – impressions and comparison with HEM2 After listening to the HEM2s recently courtesy of the Nuforce Massdrop, I managed to pick up a pair of the next model in their HEM series (the...
http://www.shozy-hk.com/zero-earphone/ Preamble: I was honored to receive an invitation to join in the Delta test of the pre-production Shozy Zero By NLNH around April 16th. I received...
Background: I am not an audiophile, I just like to enjoy music in good quality. This writing is more like a collection of subjective experience and impressions rather than a professional review....
These headphones need to be amped. If you choose to use them without doing so, they will sound weak and lifeless. The complaints I read about seem to me to be with people that haven't synergized...
For my taste are too analitical cans.I try to remove the high frequencies sibiling using several different tips...shure triple compy foam....nothing they remain too harsh for my tasty. I also...
AKG K601 & K612 Pro Owners... UNITE!! - Page 75
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1112 of 21983/19/14 at 5:46pmpost #1113 of 21983/19/14 at 5:49pm
Such as? Sorry...should have read the specs and realized they needed an external headphone amp (do we call it a preamp or amp? dunno, from guitar world here...)...
Remember have tried them through both a black box and m-audio speakers, all set to max...result low-medium volume...maybe somewhere in the signal chain it needs to get boosted earlier...
Edit: or there is some stupid windows setting...that would be typical...
Edited by squidman - 3/19/14 at 5:53pmpost #1114 of 21983/19/14 at 5:53pmpost #1115 of 21983/19/14 at 5:55pmpost #1116 of 21983/19/14 at 6:00pmAnd to clarify, yet again, these headphones require more juice than the average headphone. That is why, at max volume on your regular source, it only sounds average (at best).
You need a proper headphone amp for these, my friend... nothing more I can say...post #1117 of 21983/19/14 at 6:02pm
BTW change is good, you're not serious about the amp? Eller? a hahahahaha den var god! Uff da (ok I guess you are serious! But in Norwegian, the translation is **** Asgaard 2!....Classic name! You're a true viking!)...and the website is...you guessed it...http://schiit.com/products/asgard-2! Sorry, will have to lie down laughing for a bit here!!!post #1118 of 21983/19/14 at 6:06pm
Ok thanks mate...sent a post which may have been unsuitable for younger audiences (well you did have to reference the Asgard 2 amp! ahahaha...sounds great in Norwegian!)...but prbly got deleted by mod. Anyway, thanks for the heads-up, much appreciated. How on earth can they come up with a name like that?post #1119 of 21983/19/14 at 6:09pmQuote:
They need an amp that can drive them well and has good synergy with them. There are various amps you can get with them to bring out their potential. The Hifiman EF2A is another good match for the K612. They are inefficient headphones and a powerful headphone amp is a must for them.post #1120 of 21983/19/14 at 6:16pmQuote:Originally Posted by squidman
Ok thanks mate...sent a post which may have been unsuitable for younger audiences (well you did have to reference the Asgard 2 amp! ahahaha...sounds great in Norwegian!)...but prbly got deleted by mod. Anyway, thanks for the heads-up, much appreciated. How on earth can they come up with a name like that?
Don't want to go off topic, but here's a great read about how they came about...
And did I mention the K612 absolutely shines on the Asgard 2?!?post #1121 of 21983/19/14 at 6:28pm
Ok thanks mate...anything around the 200 buck mark? Will check out links, back up on the laptop (beast is rendering away)...disappointed the black box doesn't have the juice to power them...hilarious story regarding asgard...akg should really let peps know that they need an external headphone amp...again extremely disappointed. Will have a go again at resoldering beloved 141's, they were really a great set of cans.
Srry my bad wil check out your suggestions...
Edited by squidman - 3/19/14 at 6:29pmpost #1122 of 21983/19/14 at 6:37pmpost #1123 of 21983/19/14 at 6:41pmQuote:
Ask those questions in that thread. Let's try to stay on topic, here, with the K601/K612...post #1124 of 21983/20/14 at 3:52am
- AKG K601 & K612 Pro Owners... UNITE!!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 2 minutes ago
- › Audio GD Master-11(Combination from Master 7 and Master 9) 5 minutes ago
- › The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") 6 minutes ago
- › Audio Technica ATH-E70, ATH-E50, ATH-E40 IEMs announced at NAMM 2016 7 minutes ago
- › Official HIFIMAN HE1000 Impressions Thread 7 minutes ago
- › JVC HP-DX1000 Owners Unite! 13 minutes ago
- › Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread. 14 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 14 minutes ago
- › Shozy Zero: $50 IEMs with real rosewood, taking on the $500 big boys! 14 minutes ago
- › Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here. 15 minutes ago
- › NuForce HEM4 Reference Class Hi-Res In-Ear Headphones with Dual... by Jackpot77
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by TwinACStacks
- › Fostex TH-X00 Massdrop exclusive by bestula
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Headphone by DJ Liquid
- › Rockit Sounds R-50 by puccipaolo
- › Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon by Aornic
- › oBravo EAMT-3w Hybrid Dynamic Driver and Heil Air Motion Transducer... by glassmonkey
- › T-PEOS RASIEL by faithguy19
- › OPPO PM-3 by T Bone
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by TravAndAlex
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...