Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › C&C Box Portable Headphone Amp: not really a compete review.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

C&C Box Portable Headphone Amp: not really a compete review. - Page 3

post #31 of 104
I think the group buy is still open. I just ordered one and recieved a confirmation email about an hour ago.
post #32 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRefft View Post
I think the group buy is still open. I just ordered one and recieved a confirmation email about an hour ago.
The first group buy was closed. Congrats! You just got in on the second group buy that opened 1/12/07.
post #33 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrarroyo View Post
You are asking the wrong guy, I like the Hornet "M" but not the Tomahawk. So I would say get the C&C. Vorlon1 prefers the Tomahawk and would answer differently.

BTW the C&C is about the lenght of an iPod, height of the Tomahawk and width of Go-Vibe 5.
i tried the Hornet pior to buying C&C and i'll say take the C&C too. C&C is much more value for $ but details wise, not at Hornet level yet.
post #34 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by theory_87 View Post
i tried the Hornet pior to buying C&C and i'll say take the C&C too. C&C is much more value for $ but details wise, not at Hornet level yet.
When you say "details wise", are you meaning throughout all frequencies? And between the two, which would you say is more musical? Thanks
post #35 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Time View Post
When you say "details wise", are you meaning throughout all frequencies? And between the two, which would you say is more musical? Thanks
yes. Hornet contains much more details across the frequencies. i like the treble esp. It sound smooth and natural unlike some amps which make it sound asif it piercing my ear drum. if more musical, i'll go with Hornet. Hornet sounds warmer and forward which is what i like.
post #36 of 104
Hi jamato8, how does that C&C stacks up against the Xtra X-1?
post #37 of 104
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta_Nu View Post
Hi jamato8, how does that C&C stacks up against the Xtra X-1?
The C&C has a little more information like reverb but I don't always feel it is natural. It isn't that I don't enjoy it but after comparing it to my other amps like the SuperMacro LE, I notice that the LE has as much information but it is portrayed in a more natural and realistic way, without jumping out at you. The C&C is a little hyped in its presentation. It took me a while, and a few hundred hours of running it to make how it sounds and what it would level off to. The X-1 may not have as much information but is a little warmer and musical. If someone were to listen to the X-1 I think they would feel comfortable and they would enjoy the music. With the C&C they might go WOW and be carried away by it but I don't think this would be a fair assessment . The X-1 has a little smoother top end the C&C a little cooler sound with a bit more hall information but I feel this is because it is tipped up in the upper mid range.

They are both good amps but for the ultimate purist maybe not the top end. Music is about enjoyment and to this end I don't care if something is a little colored in what it does as no recording studio or hall ever has just one sound from day to day and neither will your ears. So I can't tell you what you may like of the two but I don't think I will get rid of either and I know I won't get rid of the X-1 as I feel it is very well made, has a great recharging system and has a nice feel. It is like a comfortable guitar that you can just sit and play and enjoy or like my harmonica that is about 25 years old, smooth and musical.
post #38 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamato8 View Post
The C&C has a little more information like reverb but I don't always feel it is natural. It isn't that I don't enjoy it but after comparing it to my other amps like the SuperMacro LE, I notice that the LE has as much information but it is portrayed in a more natural and realistic way, without jumping out at you. The C&C is a little hyped in its presentation. It took me a while, and a few hundred hours of running it to make how it sounds and what it would level off to. The X-1 may not have as much information but is a little warmer and musical. If someone were to listen to the X-1 I think they would feel comfortable and they would enjoy the music. With the C&C they might go WOW and be carried away by it but I don't think this would be a fair assessment . The X-1 has a little smoother top end the C&C a little cooler sound with a bit more hall information but I feel this is because it is tipped up in the upper mid range.

They are both good amps but for the ultimate purist maybe not the top end. Music is about enjoyment and to this end I don't care if something is a little colored in what it does as no recording studio or hall ever has just one sound from day to day and neither will your ears. So I can't tell you what you may like of the two but I don't think I will get rid of either and I know I won't get rid of the X-1 as I feel it is very well made, has a great recharging system and has a nice feel. It is like a comfortable guitar that you can just sit and play and enjoy or like my harmonica that is about 25 years old, smooth and musical.
Great, helpful insight, thank you!! I'm with you on this. I would give up a bit of spatial information for more refinement, and especially a better midrange coherence. I feel that the upper mids are a delicate portion of the spectrum, especially with acoustic music. A bit of midbass warmth can be quite a bit less harmful.
post #39 of 104

Anyone used C&C with ALO bling bling silver interconnect?

Hey Guys,
So I've had the C&C amp since Jan 2, and it now has probably 150 hours on it and I really like it. I'm not going to go into detail b/c the last time I said anything about the amp I got accused of street teaming and I don't feel like having to defend myself again.

I have been using my 4g ipod connected to the amp with an ALO bling bling silver interconnect (dock connector line out to miniplug) and then using my e500's out of the amp. I have found that with this set up I have very little play in the volume. By this I mean that I can move the volume knob on the amp about 5 degrees from zero (to about 7 o'clock with zero being at 6 o'clock) before the volume is basically too loud for me. When I use the regular mini plug to miniplug interconnect this problem disappears, but the sound is (obviously) not the same quality as with the ALO cable and when I use the headphone jack on the ipod the signal is going through the ipod's internal amp and then the C&C which seems a bit redundant.

While I guess it isn't really a big deal that that the volume gets so loud so quick (hey I get great battery life on the amp this way), but it would be nice to be able to fine tune the volume a little bit more than I can now.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance
post #40 of 104
Thread Starter 
The output of your device is higher than the other output. I don't know if you can adjust that but even if you can that means that a type of volume control is in the signal path. If it can be controlled digitally you might want to try that.
post #41 of 104
Apparently the eBay seller do not ship to Singapore, probably due to restrictions in shipping as the unit contains batteries(lithium?).

I guess I will have to wait for alternatives.
post #42 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robfow View Post
Apparently the eBay seller do not ship to Singapore, probably due to restrictions in shipping as the unit contains batteries(lithium?).

I guess I will have to wait for alternatives.
Jaben Network do stock them. Drop by to try..
post #43 of 104
how much are they selling for at Jaben Net?
post #44 of 104
When more people get the chance to test it, I hope this affordable amp comes up on top . Maybe then, other manufacturers/sellers would stop ripping us off.
post #45 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freed View Post
When more people get the chance to test it, I hope this affordable amp comes up on top . Maybe then, other manufacturers/sellers would stop ripping us off.
As much as I've been a big proponent of the C&C and think it's got a great price/performance ratio, this is going a bit far. There are even cheaper amps and there are some more expensive that have off-setting qualities like much better build quality, gain switches, higher battery life, etc. When you throw out a statement like "maybe then, other manufacturers/sellers would stop ripping us off" I'd love to hear exactly which ones are "ripping us off."
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › C&C Box Portable Headphone Amp: not really a compete review.