Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › I've got 2 Grand
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I've got 2 Grand

post #1 of 77
Thread Starter 
I'm totally new at this. All my audio background is with 2 ch speakers etc. Can you guys get me the most bang for the buck on a headphone amp and some headphones? I've got $2K to spend.

The only qualifications I might have are these: the headphones be closed so as to be able to use them at work. Canalphones might be acceptable only if they are sonically so superior that they have to be considered.

I am coming from a pretty good speaker setup. (RWA Sig 70s + Zu Druids). So bear that in mind.
post #2 of 77
AKG 1000's or UE 10 Pro. I don't know much about amps.
post #3 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by exX08 View Post
AKG 1000's
Do you even know what the AKG K1000 is (and yet you're recommending it to someone that needs a closed headphone)? You do know that they'll require a beefy power amp that'll be a PAIN to transport, right (Oh wait, you don't know much about amps...)?

I'm guessing you don't know anything about the K1000s, but you're just recommending them because...?
post #4 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Do you even know what the AKG K1000 is (and yet you're recommending it to someone that needs a closed headphone)? You do know that they'll require a beefy power amp that'll be a PAIN to transport, right (Oh wait, you don't know much about amps...)?

I'm guessing you don't know anything about the K1000s, but you're just recommending them because...?
I'm just recomending them because everyone says there uber good. I didn't see that he needed closed headphones either.
post #5 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Do you even know what the AKG K1000 is (and yet you're recommending it to someone that needs a closed headphone)? You do know that they'll require a beefy power amp that'll be a PAIN to transport, right (Oh wait, you don't know much about amps...)?

I'm guessing you don't know anything about the K1000s, but you're just recommending them because...?
Yeah, in all of his reccomendations posts he hasn't even heard any of the phones he recommends. If you don't have experience, don't post.
post #6 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by exX08 View Post
AKG 1000's or UE 10 Pro. I don't know much about amps.
The K1000 is not a closed headphone. Technically its not a headphone either. You should do some research before you decide to give out poor information.

however, you are very correct about the UE10 pro.

Tot he OP: many of the high end headphones are open, so you are limited. However, there are some good choices you have. What kind of music do you listen to?

The UE10pro is a custom in ear monitor, that has a very good reputation. It will run you about $1000.

For an actual over the ear headphone, you could be looking at the Audio-Technica line, such as the W5000.

Amps will vary depending on which one you choose. the W500 has a mathcing amplifier, the HA5000, and the UE10 has many options... Im my opinion, you should look to land a used PINT, or contact Mister X for his XP amp.
post #7 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seminarian View Post
I'm totally new at this. All my audio background is with 2 ch speakers etc. Can you guys get me the most bang for the buck on a headphone amp and some headphones? I've got $2K to spend.

The only qualifications I might have are these: the headphones be closed so as to be able to use them at work. Canalphones might be acceptable only if they are sonically so superior that they have to be considered.

I am coming from a pretty good speaker setup. (RWA Sig 70s + Zu Druids). So bear that in mind.
At5000 plus the AT5000 amp..AT-HA5000. I hear the synergy is magical together.. Total cost would be around 1,750.

If you are looking for a better bang for your buck.. I'd go with the Sen 650's which can be had for 230.00 new. Solid state HEED canamp cost 360.00 but can hold it's own with 800.00 amps.. The BADA12 is a great bargain at 450.00.. Its a hybrid amp.. I can vouch for it, especially with the right tubes..
post #8 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGTL View Post
Yeah, in all of his reccomendations posts he hasn't even heard any of the phones he recommends. If you don't have experience, don't post.
I don't recomend alot of phones. Usually just ER4P's. Actually I think this is my first headphone recomendation other than the 4P's and I'm just basing it off of what everyone els says is good.
post #9 of 77
If you read the previous post I didn't see he needed closed headphones.
post #10 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by exX08 View Post
I don't recomend alot of phones. Usually just ER4P's. Actually I think this is my first headphone recomendation other than the 4P's and I'm just basing it off of what everyone els says is good.
The AKG1000 are great phones, but closed they are not.. & they are more like ear speakers.. Few amps can drivew them properly..
post #11 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by exX08 View Post
I'm just basing it off of what everyone els says is good.
Which isn't exactly the best practice to do around here, but if you feel compelled to do so at least mention that piece of information (That you're just basing it off what everybody else says is good and that you have not heard the headphones that you're recommending).
post #12 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by kool bubba ice View Post
The AKG1000 are great phones, but closed they are not.. & they are more like ear speakers.. Few amps can drivew them properly..

Again I did not see he needed closed phones.

My bad for misleading op... I haven't heard them but that is what people around here say is good.
post #13 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Which isn't exactly the best practice to do around here, but if you feel compelled to do so at least mention that piece of information (That you're just basing it off what everybody else says is good and that you have not heard the headphones that you're recommending).
Bingo.

Although your best bet is to only recommend headphones you have heard.
post #14 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seminarian View Post
I'm totally new at this. All my audio background is with 2 ch speakers etc. Can you guys get me the most bang for the buck on a headphone amp and some headphones? I've got $2K to spend.
Folks will probably want to know what type of music you listen too?

EDIT: Wow you guys type fast. Sorry for the double post.
post #15 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by exX08 View Post
Again I did not see he needed closed phones.

My bad for misleading op... I haven't heard them but that is what people around here say is good.
I know. It's cool..
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › I've got 2 Grand