Head-Fi.org › Forums › Head-Fi Special Forums › Premier Sponsor Forums and Sponsor Forums › Sponsor Forums › Westone › Westone 3 - You asked for it, we listened !
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Westone 3 - You asked for it, we listened ! - Page 8

post #106 of 2524
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffS View Post
@p0wderh0und23

Ok, so is there any more info about the custom version of the new 3 yet?

I've been planning on pulling the trigger on a set of ES2s for quite some time. While I love my UM2+56 combo, I've got a bug in me that is itching for full customs. Any idea what the time frame for the custom version of the 3 will be?

-Jeff
Nothing official yet. It will most likely happen in the "not to distant future". Need to get this one launched, then we will start looking at the possibility of a custom, and no the ES3 is not the same as this might be.
post #107 of 2524
Any update on pictures of the phones'? I know that the weather has been terrible lately on the West Coast....

-The Grinman
post #108 of 2524
Hmmm... I wonder how this will stack up to Etys...... probably much fuller.
post #109 of 2524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Medeski View Post
Hmmm... I wonder how this will stack up to Etys...... probably much fuller.
Definitely. The UM2's are already much fuller. Where the Etys excel is in microdynamics, high frequency response and gobs and gobs and GOBS of detail.
post #110 of 2524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Medeski View Post
Hmmm... I wonder how this will stack up to Etys...... probably much fuller.
I'll let you know...I have a set of the 3's on order and already have the Ety's. I'm hoping for a bit fuller, deeper sound with the Westone's.
post #111 of 2524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanth View Post
Definitely. The UM2's are already much fuller. Where the Etys excel is in microdynamics, high frequency response and gobs and gobs and GOBS of detail.
No I know Westones are fuller but not as detailed. Thats what I love about my Etys, the detail..... if they can put that kinda detail with some nice fullness. Well lets hope I have $4000 soon.
post #112 of 2524
Quote:
Originally Posted by lohrm1@excite.co View Post
I'll let you know...I have a set of the 3's on order and already have the Ety's. I'm hoping for a bit fuller, deeper sound with the Westone's.
MMmmmmm.... chunky. Can't wait for a review.
post #113 of 2524
Quote:
Originally Posted by potatotron View Post
That's a pretty flawed argument. What do manufacturers stand to lose by including replaceable cords? If cords fail, they won't have to bear the costs of RMAing - instead, they'll be making money on people buying new cords. There's really no good reason for Westone to leave them out.
Reliability actually. Including a replaceable cord means 2 more areas where there is likely to be breakage (at the plug).

So far as I know UE is the only one that offers the replaceable cable, and they've had more than one or two breakages right where the cable plugs into the IEM. Then throw in the added cost of building it, and you've just increased the price.

So there's a couple of really good reasons not to have a replaceable cable.
post #114 of 2524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokieman View Post
Reliability actually. Including a replaceable cord means 2 more areas where there is likely to be breakage (at the plug).

So far as I know UE is the only one that offers the replaceable cable, and they've had more than one or two breakages right where the cable plugs into the IEM. Then throw in the added cost of building it, and you've just increased the price.

So there's a couple of really good reasons not to have a replaceable cable.

Couldn't agree more.
post #115 of 2524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio T View Post
Couldn't agree more.
With that logic then cars companies should invest more so that the tires never need to be replaced due to wear?

poor argument at best!
post #116 of 2524
Quote:
Originally Posted by trose49 View Post
With that logic then cars companies should invest more so that the tires never need to be replaced due to wear?

poor argument at best!
No, actually it's a great argument. Tires and extremely small scale plugs and jacks, like the ones that would need to be used in an IEM application, are as different as night and day so instead of fanning the flames try adding something useful to the discussion.

Ask yourself a question, wouldn't you chose whichever option was more reliable? I don't know about you but on just about every electronic device I've ever owned the headphone jack has been just about always the first thing that wore out. And that's a 3.5mm jack! UE uses a much smaller jack and plug at the IEM for their connections. I'm not saying UE didn't do their homework before coming out with a replaceable cable but if it comes at the cost of decreased reliability I'd look elsewhere for my next set of IEMs.
post #117 of 2524
The ES2 uses a replaceable cable right? Maybe Westone has it down so these issues aren't a concern for them? I have no idea about UE though. Ety's cables are replaceable as well. Are there many issues with those pins? I don't know, I haven't followed the discussions at all if there have been any. I will say that my Ety's have been nearly dead for >1 year nad this is because of rips in the cable. If I could replace the cable myself, I would have a 100% working pair of Etys. I'm not thrilled about sending them to Etymotic from Canada, spending what will amount to $100 minimum because they won't sell the cables commercially. I'm still contemplating sending my pair to Drew so he can whip me up some swanky Dragon cable.

In Etymotic's defense, I've read that they do some testing for linearity once a cable is attached. I doubt this really matters much though, a cable is a cable if all made the same.

So if my cable does die on an IEM, and provided the connectors are not a wink link, I like the option, but if it is going to cause problems, screw it. Reliability is far more important to me.
post #118 of 2524
Quote:
Originally Posted by n_maher View Post
No, actually it's a great argument. Tires and extremely small scale plugs and jacks, like the ones that would need to be used in an IEM application, are as different as night and day so instead of fanning the flames try adding something useful to the discussion.

Ask yourself a question, wouldn't you chose whichever option was more reliable? I don't know about you but on just about every electronic device I've ever owned the headphone jack has been just about always the first thing that wore out. And that's a 3.5mm jack! UE uses a much smaller jack and plug at the IEM for their connections. I'm not saying UE didn't do their homework before coming out with a replaceable cable but if it comes at the cost of decreased reliability I'd look elsewhere for my next set of IEMs.
my point is obvious. why replament buds,foamies, etc. and if the cables CAN BE replaced then IEMs become new again. UE's customer support is second to none. any issue taken care of period. granted they are not perfect and I have had problems with seried 1.0 cables. I get your point and E500's are built very well. But I don't think the intention was to save money on the original build. they would have changed the design in the new triple.fi's think about it they would not continue to take a loss replacing cables if the idea was to SAVE money I would say it backfired.
Don't rule out owning the holy grail of IEM's UE-10's of course. based on some cable being replaceable or not.
post #119 of 2524
Quote:
Originally Posted by trose49 View Post
Don't rule out owning the holy grail of IEM's UE-10's of course. based on some cable being replaceable or not.
Are they indeed the holy grail? Are Sensaphonics so far behind? Or the Westone E2's? If so then these new 3's (and when the customs come out whatever they will be called) have a lot to live up to and go after.
post #120 of 2524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanth View Post
Are they indeed the holy grail? Are Sensaphonics so far behind? Or the Westone E2's? If so then these new 3's (and when the customs come out whatever they will be called) have a lot to live up to and go after.
When they come out, when they are made into customs????

When and if they dethrone the champ I will bow gracefully and quickly place an order!

Gonna be tough! I hope they can escalate IEMs to the next level it would be great for the "sport"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Westone
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Head-Fi Special Forums › Premier Sponsor Forums and Sponsor Forums › Sponsor Forums › Westone › Westone 3 - You asked for it, we listened !