Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Just which is the most expensive headphone amp??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Just which is the most expensive headphone amp?? - Page 2

post #16 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhd812 View Post
if someone is buying a headphone only amp at $15k then its mostly for "ego" or "I got to have the biggest case" thing...

of course anyone who wants to defunk my statement then post a pic whats inside the table sized amp and we shall see if the size was really used/needed..

I am not saying there is anything wrong with needing/wanting something like that..I guess we all have to make up for size at times..lol
I don't know, there are some that prefer headphones to speakers. Would you say the same thing if someone spent $15,000 on a speaker amp? I doubt it. If you listen to headphones and you want what you feel is the best amp, have the money, who am you to say that they are doing it just for ego.
post #17 of 92
Even if it is for ego, so what? At least its contributing to the economy.
post #18 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by braillediver View Post
Who made the custom Electrostatic amp for NIK? I think that one was expensive.

Mitch
Sure you're not talking about the custom dynamic amp made for Nik?

Ahh, that's (now) my Angstrom Research Two Box amp. It's a one-off creation that (per Nik) had an original retail of $15k. I'm not sure if that's what he paid for it, but I suspect not. If it was, then he gave me one heck of a sweet deal on it! It's single ended only, but is the best headphone amp I've ever heard with the exception of the SDS-XLR in balanced mode. I'm anxiously awaitng the arrival of my SDS-XLR so that I can compare it to the Angstrom single ended to single ended.

At one time Hirsch had hosted/posted some pics of this beast (on behalf of Nik) that showed the inside of the Angstrom's amp and power supply cases. There are a total of 20 tubes of 4 different varieties, and the workmanship and parts quality is simply amazing to look at.
post #19 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilS View Post
Maybe you have your tongue planted firmly in your cheek (in which case, LOL), but I see comments like this everytime an really expensive product is discussed and I always wonder things like: Why can't it be that the amp sounds absolutely awesome, the only guy who makes it charges that much for it, and the guy who thinks it sounds awesome and wants to buy it believes, given his extremely "healthy" financial condition, that it is worth it? Why do we always assume that someone who pays a lot of money for something or buys a top-of-the-line product is on an "ego" trip? $1000 for a top-on-the-line IEM would seem absolutely insane to many people who listen with cheap earbuds and to whom $1000 is equal to a month's salary, but I would suspect many people on this forum would be upset if they were accused by such folks of being on a ego trip.
Well put. My ego thanks you for the repair work that you have just so masterfully done to it, and thankfully it was free of charge, thus freeing up much needed funds for any further self aggrandizing purchases I may seek next.
post #20 of 92
I can somewhat understand the $15,000 headphone amp being an ego thing.

The thing is that there's not really any headphones in a price bracket that would make a $15,000 headphone amp neccessary. Getting a $15000 amp for some $5000 headphones seems possibly pointless.

Speakers on the other hand can cost upwards of $100,000, and thus for some people (owners of said speakers) I could see that a $15,000 would be needed to bring the best out of their speakers.

Of course, I've never heard a $15000 headphone amp to be able to say whether or not it's an improvement over a $3000 one..... but the usual practice is for the speakers to cost the most, followed by the cdp and amp
post #21 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugz View Post
I can somewhat understand the $15,000 headphone amp being an ego thing.

The thing is that there's not really any headphones in a price bracket that would make a $15,000 headphone amp neccessary. Getting a $15000 amp for some $5000 headphones seems possibly pointless.

Speakers on the other hand can cost upwards of $100,000, and thus for some people (owners of said speakers) I could see that a $15,000 would be needed to bring the best out of their speakers.

Of course, I've never heard a $15000 headphone amp to be able to say whether or not it's an improvement over a $3000 one..... but the usual practice is for the speakers to cost the most, followed by the cdp and amp
But what if you're a millionaire and what the best headphone rig? Of course you'll go all out and get the $15k amp over the $3k one, even though the headphones will only cost a grand or two.
post #22 of 92
This RP1000 can break a bank, IIRC till now only three of them have been made, this pic was from the past Head-fi International Meeting ...

The sound is not for the faint of heart though....


post #23 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhd812 View Post
if someone is buying a headphone only amp at $15k then its mostly for "ego" or "I got to have the biggest case" thing...

of course anyone who wants to defunk my statement then post a pic whats inside the table sized amp and we shall see if the size was really used/needed..

I am not saying there is anything wrong with needing/wanting something like that..I guess we all have to make up for size at times..lol
Says the person with a $5000 headphone amp
post #24 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
But what if you're a millionaire and what the best headphone rig? Of course you'll go all out and get the $15k amp over the $3k one, even though the headphones will only cost a grand or two.
To the original OP... Singlepower amps can get well over $15K.

I'm glad not everyone needs to view everyone's choices with such negativity. I'm more of a speaker listener, but I like to keep a top notch rig around for the occasional listening session. I like having an amp that has the exact features and aesthetics that I want. I can't get that off the shelf, so I have someone build it for me. I keep my favorite reference transport/DAC combo with the setup and a few pair of cans that sound good to me. Sometimes it's just nice to be able to indulge without consideration of cost. I never buy things because of their cost, but often my choices end up costing me more than others would deem reasonable to spend.
post #25 of 92
Can we see some pics of the innards of these amps, or at least the amps themselves?

I don't see an amp as being an ego booster, a car, clothing, gun, or knife definitely, but a box that sits on a rack in your home, nah.
post #26 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmcmanus View Post
Well put. My ego thanks you for the repair work that you have just so masterfully done to it, and thankfully it was free of charge, thus freeing up much needed funds for any further self aggrandizing purchases I may seek next.
Wait a second. Now that I know it was valuable to you, I'll have to send you a bill. Let's see . . . half an hour to think of what to say . . . half an hour to write it . . . half an hour to edit it . . . yeah, 1.5 hours sounds about right. Oh, but what the hell. I'll throw in a 10% professional discount.
post #27 of 92
"The difference between men and boys, is the price of their toys" -- old saying, but true.
Another saying: "people that pay big bucks on something, do it because they CAN!".
Moral: work hard all your life, invest wisely, and at the right time, start spending your kids' inheritances! Because you CAN!
And you don't have to be a full millionare to do this, though it helps....
If you can't afford what some others can afford, don't call "sour grapes" or "ego trip" -- it makes you sound jealous.
If you're lucky, maybe one day YOUR day will come, too.
post #28 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
What if you rank in a 6 figure salary and can easily afford a $15k amp? If you have the assets, why shoot for a $1k amp when you get a $15k amp? You have a $4k CD PLAYER in your rig; someone could just as easily say that you only have that G08 for ego purposes. Just because you can't afford it doesn't mean that it's just for ego purposes, since this reasoning could be applied to nearly every level of gear (Including yours with your $4k cd player).

You could say the same thing about cables. If you're a multi-millionaire and you're building a stereo rig, why skimp on cables? You have the money, why shouldn't you spend spend a few thousand dollars on ICs? It goes for all levels as well. Some people here spend hundreds of dollars on cables because their budgets/mindset allow them to; others only spend $50 because that's what their budgets/mindset allow them to buy; and others use stock red & white cables because that's what their budgets/mindset allow them to buy.
yes you can, I agree with you complete. I never said there was anything wrong with buying an amp $15k. hell if I had the money sitting I would do the gold sp amp in a heart beat..
its like seeing someone drive a Ferrari in Downtown Chicago, the man wanted a ferrari so he bought it...regardless of the fact he couldnt get the car out of third gear while driving Downtown but he still has the right to buy it..

its like me jumping in the jacuzzi with the rs-1's it was purely a ego thing of "this is nuts" type pics...hey atleast i admit it.
post #29 of 92
The biggest difference between an expensive headphone amp and items that boost your ego- clothes, watches or expensive car is: No one sees the headphone amp and those that do don’t know what it is so what ego boost? Face it if I showed someone my PS-1’s they’d think my grandfather owned them in WW2. As for expensive cables- no one can see them and no one knows unless I tell them.

So no it’s not ego- it’s personal satisfaction. There’s something personally satisfying owning and using a finely made piece of equipment whether it is a handgun, stereo component, knife, frying pan or what ever. I personally marvel at fine engineering, quality components and thoughtful execution. There’s something-wonderful about tube audio- it’s functional art. It’s as beautiful to look at as it is enjoyable to listen to.


Take any hobby or past time and take it to the limit. You’ll find the “$15,000 headphone amp” there. Whether it is cooking, biking, skiing, playing pool or photography.


Heck go look at bathroom fixtures at home depot if you want to see excess.

Mitch
post #30 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
What if you rank in a 6 figure salary and can easily afford a $15k amp? If you have the assets, why shoot for a $1k amp when you get a $15k amp? You have a $4k CD PLAYER in your rig; someone could just as easily say that you only have that G08 for ego purposes. Just because you can't afford it doesn't mean that it's just for ego purposes, since this reasoning could be applied to nearly every level of gear (Including yours with your $4k cd player).

You could say the same thing about cables. If you're a multi-millionaire and you're building a stereo rig, why skimp on cables? You have the money, why shouldn't you spend spend a few thousand dollars on ICs? It goes for all levels as well. Some people here spend hundreds of dollars on cables because their budgets/mindset allow them to; others only spend $50 because that's what their budgets/mindset allow them to buy; and others use stock red & white cables because that's what their budgets/mindset allow them to buy.
This isn't aimed at you, but rather, the statement in general about "being able to afford it".

Because you don't become rich by blowing your money on very trivial things. now I could understand buying it if it actually WERE better, and you had the money...but lets face it here....it can't possibly be.

I know people who have indispensible income. I mean INDISPENSIBLE. They bought a $40K motorcycle, an MV Agusta Tamburini. When the F4CC came out, it was the new "king of exotics" at $120K and many of them scoughed at it. You have to get an invitation to buy this bike, much like Ferrari did with the Enzo. They could buy 3 with 1 months salary, yet, they chose not to, as well, it really wasn't THAT MUCH of a better bike.

Also, you don't buy the bling things for the ego, for people that don't know about it...you buy it to feed the ego for people who DO know about it. Do you really think people buy Breitling watches because it's a superior watch? No. Half the people on this planet don't know jack about watches, and if they saw that, the first thing they would think of is "Why didn't you get a Rolex?". Because, you buy it for the ego feeding of the people who KNOW about it.

It's not a matter of being able to afford it, it's a matter if it's a smart decision. And buying a $20,000 24K gold amp, if it sonically is no better than a $1K amp is a stupid decision whether you have the money or not.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Just which is the most expensive headphone amp??