Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › argh.. PAIN on choosing custom made IEM. please help.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

argh.. PAIN on choosing custom made IEM. please help.

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
Hi, i am new to this place. i guess this is the place with the most custom made IEM users on world so i decided to put up a post here.
Hope experts can help.


i am using an IPOD 3rd generation.
i had been using B&O a8--> er6-i --> UM2 --> er4p-s
i liked the sound stage of UM2, but i like the super accuracy of sound and layers from the er4p-s.
i more like the combination of these two, probably with more bass which sounds like a nice .1 speaker in a big room, and more sense of "air", like i am in the live concert of the performer.

i have a pain on choosing 2xs, ES3, 10 Pro, 7PRO, 5PRO, 5C (or any other suggestion?)
which one these may suit my needs? (and a good partner to my ipod?)

ps.
1. i am a POP listener, but i am a more Jazz, vocal, and musical (but not classical) lover
2. I really need good seal and keep myself out of noise
3. comfortable ones will be appreciated. (i like the 2xs because it seems to be smaller and really "softer", not sure if it sounds good to me)
4. i will not attempt to bring an amp with me to go on the road
5. I can go try out some lower-end earphones (like the E5C, super fi 5pro etc.). which earphone's sound you want me to learn before i make my decision?
6. i do not need very analytical sound, on street, i more like joy of appreciating music (is that i need warmer sounds as you guys say? )


thanks very much!! i really appreciate your help, cause this is a really BIG investment to me


(more information can be given upon request... thanks again )
post #2 of 19
As far as UE goes, it seems to be the consensus that the 5 Pro are more "fun" and less clinically accurate than the 10s, but I'm sure plenty of people here are better positioned to advise.

Have you tried the Shure E500 (for which you can get custom sleeves if you so choose)? They're cheaper and you may find you don't need custom sleeves to get a good seal. They're also known to have quite a fun sound signature.
post #3 of 19
From reading the reviews and if I had the $$$, I'd go 10 Pro and never look back.
post #4 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
As far as UE goes, it seems to be the consensus that the 5 Pro are more "fun" and less clinically accurate than the 10s, but I'm sure plenty of people here are better positioned to advise.

Have you tried the Shure E500 (for which you can get custom sleeves if you so choose)? They're cheaper and you may find you don't need custom sleeves to get a good seal. They're also known to have quite a fun sound signature.

thanks for your quick reply.
to be honest, i am willing to spend on a custom made IEM, so i am not considering E500, i want the best thing for me
but surely i will try that out before i spend the big dollar.. haha

for good seal, i got very good seal with my er4p-s too, and i am a bit worried if custom made ones can do the same, cause i push my er4p-s really hard into my ears.
post #5 of 19
go with the UE10. i also love a more analytical sound... i've read alot of good things about the Westone ES-2 and almost pulled the trigger on it since it was almost $400 cheaper. but i couldn't live with the fact that i'll still be thinking what the UE10 would sound like, so i went straight to the top.
post #6 of 19
For your music tastes, you'll probably want the ES2. It has the UM2 sound signature but with Ety-level detail, and an overall improvement on the UM2 in nearly every way. The midrange is quite forward and is very full, and works very well for anything vocal, as well as jazz. It is not an analytical sound, but it is an accurate one. It's musical enough to be enjoyable but it doesn't sacrifice too much accuracy in the process.

Don't bother with the ES3. It's not designed for listening to pre-recorded material. It's specifically made for vocal and guitar monitoring on stage. Westone recommend the ES2 themselves for listening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aluren View Post
go with the UE10. i also love a more analytical sound... i've read alot of good things about the Westone ES-2 and almost pulled the trigger on it since it was almost $400 cheaper. but i couldn't live with the fact that i'll still be thinking what the UE10 would sound like, so i went straight to the top.
Being the most expensive doesn't mean that you're the best. People that own both the ES2 and the UE10 pro do not always unilaterally prefer the UE10, to say the least.
post #7 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by catscratch View Post
For your music tastes, you'll probably want the ES2. It has the UM2 sound signature but with Ety-level detail, and an overall improvement on the UM2 in nearly every way. The midrange is quite forward and is very full, and works very well for anything vocal, as well as jazz. It is not an analytical sound, but it is an accurate one. It's musical enough to be enjoyable but it doesn't sacrifice too much accuracy in the process.

Don't bother with the ES3. It's not designed for listening to pre-recorded material. It's specifically made for vocal and guitar monitoring on stage. Westone recommend the ES2 themselves for listening.



Being the most expensive doesn't mean that you're the best. People that own both the ES2 and the UE10 pro do not always unilaterally prefer the UE10, to say the least.
thanks for your reply.

for UM2, it sounds to me like, i am in a concert of a performer, but a really HUGE obscure is right in front of me, which makes me mad about that.

will ES2 do that?
post #8 of 19
Thread Starter 
after spending hours in this thread,
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=76328


it seems 2x-s is my cup of tea.. (at least more likely than 10PRO)
how do 2x-s compared to ES2?
is there any full comparison on this?

thanks
post #9 of 19
I know Digihead will hate me for saying this, but: send Digihead a PM. He has the 2X-S, the UE10 Pro, the ES2 and the ES3, and God knows what else besides. If there's one person who can answer your question with more than hearsay and speculation, that would be him.

I've heard that Sensaphonics have changed the voicing of their IEMs, and they no longer sound like the used to?

The ES2 does not really obscure anything to my ears. The UM2 always lacked resolution and top end; that lack prompted me to explore other canalphones but none ever really met the mark, until I took the plunge on the ES2. It was a good move, though I have at times regretted not waiting for the E500. On comparison between the E500 and the ES2, I prefer the ES2 sonically by a rather big margin and I think it's the better phone, though the E500 is no slouch. But, the versatility offered by a universal-fit IEM, not to mention the resale value, makes the E500 a much smarter purchase than any custom-molded canalphone out there.

In any case, I use the ES2 more than anything else in my collection, and sonically it's good enough for me (nothing else in terms of IEMs short of the E500 ever was).
post #10 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by catscratch View Post
I know Digihead will hate me for saying this, but: send Digihead a PM. He has the 2X-S, the UE10 Pro, the ES2 and the ES3, and God knows what else besides. If there's one person who can answer your question with more than hearsay and speculation, that would be him.

I've heard that Sensaphonics have changed the voicing of their IEMs, and they no longer sound like the used to?

The ES2 does not really obscure anything to my ears. The UM2 always lacked resolution and top end; that lack prompted me to explore other canalphones but none ever really met the mark, until I took the plunge on the ES2. It was a good move, though I have at times regretted not waiting for the E500. On comparison between the E500 and the ES2, I prefer the ES2 sonically by a rather big margin and I think it's the better phone, though the E500 is no slouch. But, the versatility offered by a universal-fit IEM, not to mention the resale value, makes the E500 a much smarter purchase than any custom-molded canalphone out there.

In any case, I use the ES2 more than anything else in my collection, and sonically it's good enough for me (nothing else in terms of IEMs short of the E500 ever was).
to be honest, i am not so sure if UM2-style suits me.

when i just switched to Er4p-s, I nearly cried. it sounds like what i dreamt it to be.

i only thing that i appreciate from UM2 is soundstage, and that's it..

of course, i consider myself newbie since I lack experience in listening to sounds from different manufacturer. Not yet to beyer, Grado... a lot more
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by platinum View Post
to be honest, i am not so sure if UM2-style suits me.

when i just switched to Er4p-s, I nearly cried. it sounds like what i dreamt it to be.

i only thing that i appreciate from UM2 is soundstage, and that's it..

of course, i consider myself newbie since I lack experience in listening to sounds from different manufacturer. Not yet to beyer, Grado... a lot more
Your missing the point. The ES2 isn't like the UM2 except for one thing: warmth. It has almost Ety-like detail with much more treble extension and tighter, yet not boomy bass.
post #12 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Your missing the point. The ES2 isn't like the UM2 except for one thing: warmth. It has almost Ety-like detail with much more treble extension and tighter, yet not boomy bass.
thanks for you reply.

after reading lengthy reviews,
i decided to go for 2x-s.

do 2x-s have any common flaws?
how much will it be? and how much for ear impressions in general?
is that the sound signature of Sensa changed? can i have some more details about that?

thanks!
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by catscratch View Post
Being the most expensive doesn't mean that you're the best. People that own both the ES2 and the UE10 pro do not always unilaterally prefer the UE10, to say the least.
Well I was trying to say that the UE10 is more analytical and I love to hear details. So if I get the ES2, I might miss out on the details that I could've gotten with the UE10. So that's what I meant by going straight to the top.
post #14 of 19
Try this link before pm-ing digihead. I asked him and here was his reply.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=208784
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dohdough View Post
Try this link before pm-ing digihead. I asked him and here was his reply.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=208784
UE-10's BABY!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › argh.. PAIN on choosing custom made IEM. please help.