Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › K1000 - Are they REALLY worth 2-3 times the price of K701?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

K1000 - Are they REALLY worth 2-3 times the price of K701? - Page 5

post #61 of 148
I am listening to K1000 with the following setup :
Wadia 830 > Grover Interconnects > RSA Raptor

With the Wadia mechanical and digital gain set to maximum the volume control on the Raptor is a little before the middle (around 11 o'clock). Sounds good to me !
post #62 of 148
Thread Starter 
Is the serial nr of k1000 important? For example i saw some 05402s on ebay with 450euro...Good price i think, considering the US >1000usd prices.
post #63 of 148
I have a Chang Lightspeed CLS6400 power conditioner ---> Supra SUPRA LoRad power cords ----> Analysis Plus Crystal Oval ICs ----> VPI Scout (dynavector Karat cart.), modded Sony XA777ES, or Cary 308T (Mullard tubes) ----> ASL AQ1001DT (RCA black plate NOS input tubes in triode mode), K-1000 with peice of crap standard cord....
post #64 of 148
Sometimes, I look at the equipment K1k users to make the earspeaker sound at its best, and feel I should set my limits. I'm sure it sounds splendid wtih the right set-up. But then my imagination runs free: a new amp, maybe a cable upgrade, hours of fretting over the fact that many of my tracks are too revealing to be musically palatable....

Two remarks in particular stood from the rest and made me think really hard. One user couldn't justify keeping a $1200 headphone around for 10% of the music, and another said it was ideal as a part of a headphone collection. (Oh, and there's also the classic K701/K1k girlfriend analogy.) I suppose I'm one of those guys who doesn't want to struggle with his music once he's found a sound he really digs.

Seconds ago, I watched a K1k closing on eBay for $1200. I know I'm missing out on something, but I can deal with it. Thanks to the information in this thread, I was able to clarify the issues more authoritatively

.
post #65 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinali View Post
Sometimes, I look at the equipment K1k users to make the earspeaker sound at its best, and feel I should set my limits. I'm sure it sounds splendid wtih the right set-up. But then my imagination runs free: a new amp, maybe a cable upgrade, hours of fretting over the fact that many of my tracks are too revealing to be musically palatable....

Two remarks in particular stood from the rest and made me think really hard. One user couldn't justify keeping a $1200 headphone around for 10% of the music, and another said it was ideal as a part of a headphone collection. (Oh, and there's also the classic K701/K1k girlfriend analogy.) I suppose I'm one of those guys who doesn't want to struggle with his music once he's found a sound he really digs.

Seconds ago, I watched a K1k closing on eBay for $1200. I know I'm missing out on something, but I can deal with it. Thanks to the information in this thread, I was able to clarify the issues more authoritatively

.
You don't have to rely on other people's opinions to justify your decision to not to purchase it you know
post #66 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Ghost View Post
Yes, i have read most of the k1000 vs k701 threads, but i can't decide if the K1000 are worth three times the price of K701. I mean, is there such a NIGHT&DAY difference between the two headphones, that can make me go ? I really don't think i have audiophile ears, as i didn't noticed a difference between a m-audio revo 5.1 and an audigy 2 (with a pair of grado sr60), so for me, the k1000 should sound incredible compared to k701, to justify the price difference.
This is a very good question, but the answer is a bit more complex.

I have owned the K701 and still own the K1000. When I got the K1000s properly cabled (Stefan AudioArts Equinox hardwire) and properly amplified (First Watt F1) nothing else could touch them. The K1000s have such incredible detail, immense soundstage, and adequate bass that my K701headphones just sat in their box ignored. Since that is no way to treat a pair of K701s, I sold them. So, my answer is yes, the K1000s are worth many times the price of the K701s - but only when properly cabled and amplified.

This of course presents a bit of a dilemma, since you stated that you would purchase the headphones first, then the amplifier, then the D to A. In the case of the K1000s, I would suggest that you add recabling to this list (right after the purchase of the headphones).

The drawback is that you won't really experience the incredible performance of these earspeakers until you assemble all of the components, and you might even be dissatisfied with them until you do. In my case, they sat in a closet for years until I finally read the reviews:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/akg/k1000_1.html

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/f...irs****t3.html

and was awakened to the potential of these incredible earspeakers.

Just my 2 cents.
post #67 of 148
Quote:
You don't have to rely on other people's opinions to justify your decision to not to purchase it you know
Fair enough, and I've considered this. But then a post comes in right after yours, outlining the need for additional, pricey components. For now, I'm satisfied justifying a decision in holding off buying something I don't really need.

post #68 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yikes View Post

Funny, when I purchased my K1000s (April 2004) there were only a few K1000 proponents, now that they've been discontinued it has become a freaking cult. I remember singing the praises of the K1000s to a resounding chorus of crickets and deafening silence.

They are a FOTM.

I’m also wondering when the K701 backlash will subside. Since they have been so popular it seems many enjoy trashing them. It’s as if some believe that if you trash what’s popular you’re somehow proving your audiophile credentials. It’s why audiophiles love to knock B&W and Krell.

The backlash will subside and then you will all join me genuflecting in front of the mighty K701s

i think the feed back for K1000 been so moderate few years ago is due to the lack of users discovering the "right power amp" for the K1000. the huge hype started when ppl start hearing the synergy with the passlab amps and now the firs****t amps. pretty sure the hype will continue as new poweramps been discovered that synergize with the K1000.

back on topic: i've auditioned about 6-7 different power amps with my K1000 few days ago. ranging from $10k intergrated to $300 tube amp. the $10k intergrated poweramp sounded much worse then a $800 british made 60watt class A. so expensive amp doesnt mean better.

K1000 been a very critical headphone it will reveal any flauds in your system or recording. so a good source is also important. you must prepare to build a system around the K1000 to do it justice...dont bother with the K1000 if you want to share the amp with anyother headphones.
post #69 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinali View Post
Sometimes, I look at the equipment K1k users to make the earspeaker sound at its best, and feel I should set my limits. I'm sure it sounds splendid wtih the right set-up.

.
I know one gets the impression on Head-Fi that it takes Herculean efforts and money to get a "K1000-optimized system," but that's not necessarily true.

K1000 does have a very distinguished sound signature. For example, on my Almarro A205a MkII tube amp, the set of tubes that sounds perfect with my speakers or K701 sounds terrible with K1000.

However, I flip in the other tube set for K1000 and world order is restored. In particular RCA blackplates cater to K1000 like foam and espresso.

So a good way to go is get a quality tube amp of reasonable price, such as Almarro or Cayin H1A and just roll tubes for K1000. As a bonus, both make a very nice amp for a speaker system...
post #70 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Ghost View Post
Yes, i have read most of the k1000 vs k701 threads, but i can't decide if the K1000 are worth three times the price of K701. I mean, is there such a NIGHT&DAY difference between the two headphones, that can make me go ? I really don't think i have audiophile ears, as i didn't noticed a difference between a m-audio revo 5.1 and an audigy 2 (with a pair of grado sr60), so for me, the k1000 should sound incredible compared to k701, to justify the price difference.

ps: sorry for my poor english skills.
With the right amp, yes it is.. I auditioned both & favored the 701's.. More Musical to me..But, ohh.. the K1000 is very special indeed.. So transparent, silky smooth, draws you in & holds you there. Very addicting. Great detail, & super sound stage. Would love to have the 1000 for a day or two to get a better opnion on them..
post #71 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen View Post
Proper aplification is a necessity and should be thought of as one component at this level of referance and cost.

Buy a Heed and the 701s for the price of the K-1000 used unamped; And know you have new components with at least all of 90% sonically vs. what you may eventually attain spending more for used. And develop a well balanced system with which to enjoy your daily musical journey.

Stay tuned~
having heard both the 701 and k1000 and the head the k1000 easily beat the 701 out of the head. Now the k1000 is not the match with the head and the ead combo is a good matc, so what does that tell you? There is no way the 701 is 90% IMHO
post #72 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yikes View Post
The K701s are selling so well that I seriously doubt that they are even entertaining bringing back the K1000. If used prices hit $2000+ they might consider it.

Funny, when I purchased my K1000s (April 2004) there were only a few K1000 proponents, now that they've been discontinued it has become a freaking cult. I remember singing the praises of the K1000s to a resounding chorus of crickets and deafening silence.

They are a FOTM.

I’m also wondering when the K701 backlash will subside. Since they have been so popular it seems many enjoy trashing them. It’s as if some believe that if you trash what’s popular you’re somehow proving your audiophile credentials. It’s why audiophiles love to knock B&W and Krell.

The backlash will subside and then you will all join me genuflecting in front of the mighty K701s
people knock Krell and b n w because they are not musical sounding, they both are fairly sterile ( I never owbed b n w but I did own a krell).

The backlash to the 701 IMHO is more about this is the best AKG could do as a reference can??? How could that be after they had the k1000. I will be the first to admit it took a bit untill I fell for the k1000. This was due to the amp requirement.
post #73 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp11801 View Post
The backlash to the 701 IMHO is more about this is the best AKG could do as a reference can??? How could that be after they had the k1000.
I for one long for the day AKG announces a pure electrostatic headphone in similar price range as Senn HE60, but without a silly POS amp and only with an "adapter" to use with any speaker amp.
post #74 of 148
i just got mine and they do many things superior than any other headphone. Although the way i have them, they are on par with aspects that are important to me like bass and mids with my previous headphones. Mind you i only have them out of a integrated speaker amp. Im still debating on completing the setup only for a k1000 or going more traditional with a reg headphone and tube amp/dac.
post #75 of 148
Thread Starter 
Thank you for all the talk here, it's really helping me make the right decision.


But can anyone please answer me this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Ghost View Post
Is the serial nr of k1000 important? For example i saw some 05402s on ebay with 450euro...Good price i think, considering the US >1000usd prices.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › K1000 - Are they REALLY worth 2-3 times the price of K701?