Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Beresford TC-7510 DAC MKII
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Beresford TC-7510 DAC MKII

post #1 of 338
Thread Starter 
Hi,

I am using an 0404, analogue output to pre-amp for my PC based jukebox system, obviously encoded in FLAC. I also have a satellite TV box with a SPIDF output.

I came across the above DAC and have read some of the reviews/comments made regarding this unit.

I wondered if anyone had done a direct comparison to see if there is a realistic improvement using this DAC (with an 0404) as compared with the direct analogue output of the 0404.

I'm very tempted to give it a try, but should I wait until I can afford a more expensive unit.

Advice/comments appreciated, bearing in mind I am in the UK.

Cheers

John
post #2 of 338
Expensive doesn't mean better. I am yet to find a DAC that can wipe the floor clean with the Beresford TC-7510 MKII in terms of anything up to U$1000 that I and a number of other users have so far compared it to. And neither have I read any comments from others who can dispute that claim. But in the end it is your own ears that would have the final say. See which of the companies will allow you to try their unit out on a "return if not satisfied" basis. Then test them for yourself with your set up. You'll probably find that only Beresford offers such a service. I wonder why the others don't have the same level of confidence in their product.
I think that guy Beresford should increase his price several times just so that more people would be willing to buy it. Many people say it is dirt cheap, as if a high price means a better sound experience. You could fool me.
post #3 of 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herandu View Post
See which of the companies will allow you to try their unit out on a "return if not satisfied" basis. Then test them for yourself with your set up. You'll probably find that only Beresford offers such a service. I wonder why the others don't have the same level of confidence in their product.
I have one these although mine is a TC-7510 Mk1 but we are in full agreement that this 'return if not satisfied' offer shows complete confidence in the sellers product and not matched by any other manafacturer IME.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Herandu View Post
I think that guy Beresford should increase his price several times just so that more people would be willing to buy it. Many people say it is dirt cheap, as if a high price means a better sound experience. You could fool me.
I'm not sure this is really the correct advice, it could happen that Mr B may read this thread and heed your suggestion.


post #4 of 338
I just remembered that I forgot to post what the mods on my PCB are.

R18 and R19 = 6K8.
R40 and R41 = 100K
EC15 = 1F
post #5 of 338
I can see R18 and R19 also EC 15 on my photos but I'll be damned if I can find R40 & R41, I presume EC 15 changed to 1F means 1.0uF ?




post #6 of 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herandu View Post
Expensive doesn't mean better. I am yet to find a DAC that can wipe the floor clean with the Beresford TC-7510 MKII in terms of anything up to U$1000 that I and a number of other users have so far compared it to. And neither have I read any comments from others who can dispute that claim. But in the end it is your own ears that would have the final say. See which of the companies will allow you to try their unit out on a "return if not satisfied" basis. Then test them for yourself with your set up. You'll probably find that only Beresford offers such a service. I wonder why the others don't have the same level of confidence in their product.
I think that guy Beresford should increase his price several times just so that more people would be willing to buy it. Many people say it is dirt cheap, as if a high price means a better sound experience. You could fool me.
So this would blow away my modded XDAC3??
post #7 of 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by kool bubba ice View Post
So this would blow away my modded XDAC3??
How did the sound change from stock ?

I tried X-DAC V3 from RME HDSP 9632 and I found it very bassy which I'd find good if it would be controlled tight, clean and got resolution, but the bass was quite bloated and boomy, lacked that so called PRaT. To me it was quite a bit difference, cause usually difference between sources is small.

I could not hear the space and effects like panning, delays, echoes, reverbs etc. with X-DAC, it also hided distortions and background noise of albums, but wasn't smooth at all. It was a bit smoother in highs than RME, but it lacked extension and airyness.
post #8 of 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone4T View Post
I can see R18 and R19 also EC 15 on my photos but I'll be damned if I can find R40 & R41, I presume EC 15 changed to 1F means 1.0uF ?
R40 and R41 are the ones next to the headphone socket. They are 10K on the MKI. I posted a pic of that location some time ago, and you commented on it.
EC15 is 220uF on the stock unit. You need to go up to 1000uF. I might experiment with an even bigger cap.
post #9 of 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by kool bubba ice View Post
So this would blow away my modded XDAC3??
You got it. But don't take my word for it. See if the manufacurer is prepared to loan you a unit to compare the two. He loaned me one once I agreed to the financial side in case I did a runner with his DAC. Not that I would mind you.
post #10 of 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herandu View Post
R40 and R41 are the ones next to the headphone socket. They are 10K on the MKI. I posted a pic of that location some time ago, and you commented on it.
EC15 is 220uF on the stock unit. You need to go up to 1000uF. I might experiment with an even bigger cap.
This is Stanley own word: (Sorry Stanley, i quote you without your permission)

"After changing the main PSU cap from 220uF to 1000uF, the bass has opened up even more. I listen to reggae music in order to test the bass response. If you are a modder, consider trying out 1000uF as well."
post #11 of 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiChael. View Post
How did the sound change from stock ?

I tried X-DAC V3 from RME HDSP 9632 and I found it very bassy which I'd find good if it would be controlled tight, clean and got resolution, but the bass was quite bloated and boomy, lacked that so called PRaT. To me it was quite a bit difference, cause usually difference between sources is small.

I could not hear the space and effects like panning, delays, echoes, reverbs etc. with X-DAC, it also hided distortions and background noise of albums, but wasn't smooth at all. It was a bit smoother in highs than RME, but it lacked extension and airyness.
Becomes more alive, & is smoother..
post #12 of 338

Why Aren't There Any Reviews Then Sounds Like More Scam Spam!

I can't prove that these posts which repeatedly say the same thing on the Beresford TC-7510 are scam spams but I find it incredibly suspicious that I can't find one single review on this or even a review comment on the US version of this on Amazon.com. Nothing personal bub, you too overhyped this thing to have any creditability in my book & overdid your same posts using the exact or similar language. None of you foreign guys know how to properly scam Americans- you don't know how to
make things more subdued that they may seem believable. If your comments are honest & sincere as a consumer without financial interest, well all you succeeded in doing was make this thing not creditable to me. In short, I don't believe a thing you and your foreign cronies are saying about this.
post #13 of 338

Viral marketing?

I must say I have been having the same sentiments as Hershon2000.
Namely that none of us "foreigners" can scam real americans :P

No really, there are 3-4 people that just go way out of their way to promote the Beresford DAC. At first I thought about buying it. But after reading all their posts it just seemed so over the top.
I am sorry if I am mistaken and the product is the best thing since sliced bread, but I can not fathom how that non-assuming (im putting it nicely) box can be one of the best DACs
I do not know anything about electrical engineering, but judging from the photos it looks like the insides of a toy. Not a hifi product.

What I do think is that there is going to be a lot of viral marketing from now on and in the future. Coca cola recently hired a marketing agency to do viral marketing on many forums in Norway. Not very popular when people found out. Well if coca cola does it, it's not very unlikely that some upstart company would do it to target a select audience, imho.
post #14 of 338
Hi there - I'm one of the scammers that are hyping the Beresford TC-7510 DAC to a ridiculous extent. There's just one problem - it's not a scam and the Beresford DAC really is that good. Beresford even gives a money back guarantee, so why not try one and see for yourself? Think of all the $$$ you can pocket by selling your over-priced Mark Levinson / Krell & even Benchmark etc gear!

I am one ecstatically happy customer - with no links whatsoever to Beresford except that, on a whim really I bought a DAC from him on eBay based on initial comments on this forum- I usually get expensive kit (see my photo of Avantgarde speakers and Musical Fidelity kit in a previous system of mine). I currently use it into about $10k of Kharma speakers - superb!
post #15 of 338

If it were really that Good then Where Are the Reviews, etc.

If this product were as good as you're saying then surely some reputable hi-fi magazines would have reviewed them & properly marketed (advertised) them. I did a search online & found nothing other then the same over the top posts from a group of 3-4 people, repeatedly bombarding audio forums with claims that on the surface appear totally ridiculous. To say this is as good as the $1,000 Benchmark Dac 1 is totally ridiculous. It's like saying, that a little League team could beat the NY Yankees. If I read just a couple of reviews even alluding to this, OK it would have some credibility. Anyway, for whatever your intentions, if your group wants to hype something, don't do it so over the top that none of us will believe you.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Beresford TC-7510 DAC MKII