Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › STAX Omega II vs. Ultrasone Edition 7
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

STAX Omega II vs. Ultrasone Edition 7 - Page 5

post #61 of 105
I do not try to do crap-posting, and I enjoy seeing the enthusiasm in our fellows very often; after all this is a hobby and we do it for fun. But this ultrasone fever reminds me of the AKG K701 when it appeared. They seemed to be the best thing after the invention of the wheel and penicillin. A while later, this has settled down to a reasonable degree. I think the same will happen here. But I can be wrong, of course
post #62 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjf View Post
I do not try to do crap-posting, and I enjoy seeing the enthusiasm in our fellows very often; after all this is a hobby and we do it for fun. But this ultrasone fever reminds me of the AKG K701 when it appeared. They seemed to be the best thing after the invention of the wheel and penicillin. A while later, this has settled down to a reasonable degree. I think the same will happen here. But I can be wrong, of course
Well, they were villified for well over a year for no good reason, so think of it as making up for lost time.
post #63 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl View Post
Well, they were villified for well over a year for no good reason, so think of it as making up for lost time.
The craze is real, the 2500 after 90% burn-in could turn into an excellent phone.
Call it the Dr. Jeckyl & Mr. Hyde effect.
Alot of folks initially appear to be turned off the Ultrasone sound, but after screwing in the cable and/or burn-in there appears to be a big difference in Ultrasone sound.
I saw a pair of 2500 in the FS/FT, I may mosey on over there for a look-see...
Or I may just wait and see what new and upcoming products they have in the pipeline.
post #64 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjf View Post
I do not try to do crap-posting, and I enjoy seeing the enthusiasm in our fellows very often; after all this is a hobby and we do it for fun. But this ultrasone fever reminds me of the AKG K701 when it appeared. They seemed to be the best thing after the invention of the wheel and penicillin. A while later, this has settled down to a reasonable degree. I think the same will happen here. But I can be wrong, of course

Ultrasones have been available for quite some time now, so its not about new-product hype. Ultrasones have always been sort of odd-ball and never got enough air here in headfi, or so i have gathered from what i have browsed old threads. Ultrasones has stayed in the closet (LOL, Closet-Ultrasonistas ) amongst few of fans, but now they seem to have have opened up and they are declaring that there are other products, and possibly even superior in some things, than standard AKG/Senn/Grado lines.
post #65 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaZa View Post
Ultrasones have been available for quite some time now, so its not about new-product hype. Ultrasones have always been sort of odd-ball and never got enough air here in headfi, or so i have gathered from what i have browsed old threads. Ultrasones has stayed in the closet (LOL, Closet-Ultrasonistas ) amongst few of fans, but now they seem to have have opened up and they are declaring that there are other products, and possibly even superior in some things, than standard AKG/Senn/Grado lines.
And according to this review, add STAX O2, and possibly HE 90 to the list.
I'm on a mission to try and pair and see what all the hype is about.
If the 2500 is the gateway, then that's the one that I want to hear.
Although, for insurance purposes, I may order from a retailer with a good return policy.
post #66 of 105
Do we get more detailed comparison or not anymore?..
When I see those percentage - I like to write in front of every - "Why?".
If it's a valid method of comparison -
so I can write:" Stax headphones are all worse than Ulltrasonics!" without any explanation and you have to take it as absolute truth...
post #67 of 105
Can someone explain me why should we buy Edition 9 or even 7 (used of course)
if Proline 2500 sound (after proper burn in - that even not exists for some HeadFi'ers) 90% of those expensive ones? And what is those last 10% that cost 1500$ soundwise?...
post #68 of 105
Just because...

Have we gotten there yet?

All kidding aside, maybe there are 900$ better, maybe not. But I really will not know till it get mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agogic View Post
Can someone explain me why should we buy Edition 9 or even 7 (used of course)
if Proline 2500 sound (after proper burn in - that even not exists for some HeadFi'ers) 90% of those expensive ones? And what is those last 10% that cost 1500$ soundwise?...
post #69 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjf View Post
I do not try to do crap-posting, and I enjoy seeing the enthusiasm in our fellows very often; after all this is a hobby and we do it for fun. But this ultrasone fever reminds me of the AKG K701 when it appeared. They seemed to be the best thing after the invention of the wheel and penicillin. A while later, this has settled down to a reasonable degree. I think the same will happen here. But I can be wrong, of course
Sorry but I definitely wonder this myself.

So far Sovkiller says the 2500 is nowhere near the SQ of the ED9.

Supermansears says the 2500 is up with the top 3 headphones in the world at $200+.

The only real reason given that the ED 7 was significantly better than the O2 was "tone (something)" I assume he means timbre.

In the 2500 thread most people are saying the 2500 competes with the usual 880/HD650/K701, some saying those 3 are preferred to the 2500.

A German hifi magazine rates the ED9 below the GS-1000 (priced at 1/3 less).

Mulvelin (spelling?) said that so far the ED9 doesn't have that extra bit of sizzle (or something like that) that the tops cans have, and he's owned a good amount of those.

Way too many inconsistencies for me to assume that all other headphones are a mute point and Ultrasones get it all right. I too think the HE-90, O2 have that electrostat sound which is amazing in some areas, but artificial sounding in other areas. But they are up with the top headphones (the HE-90 to me is the top if broken down into parts) and excel above any dynamics in certain areas.

I have some 2500s on the way and would very much be more than happy to eat my skeptical words till then I remain
post #70 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by robm321 View Post
I have some 2500s on the way and would very much be more than happy to eat my skeptical words till then I remain
To be honest, I'm a bit skeptical about all this love for the 2500s, but, having never listened to them, I am also prepared to eat my cans (or something). I'd be very interested to hear how you get along with them. Please post your impressions when you can!
post #71 of 105
Just remember they do sound weird with the right tracks. But they sound magical with other tracks. So they compliment my ATH-W5000s very well.

I hope to get an E9 before the end of May and others will as well. So by the end of May there will be many more reviews of them and possibly many available for sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robm321 View Post

I have some 2500s on the way and would very much be more than happy to eat my skeptical words till then I remain
post #72 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by robm321 View Post

A German hifi magazine rates the ED9 below the GS-1000 (priced at 1/3 less).
which german magazine
post #73 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedalhead View Post
To be honest, I'm a bit skeptical about all this love for the 2500s, but, having never listened to them, I am also prepared to eat my cans (or something). I'd be very interested to hear how you get along with them. Please post your impressions when you can!
Will do

Quote:
Originally Posted by slwiser
I hope to get an E9 before the end of May and other will as well. So by the end of May there will be many more reviews of them and possibly many available for sale.
I will most likely get these as well. I will need some sound isolation soon, but I just couldn't see putting up that kind of money and having to wait 3 months. So, I will wait and then put up the money and then maybe have to wait again
post #74 of 105
I will always be a little skeptical of anyone listening to an Ultrasone for a short amount of time and coming any real conclusions about them. They sound so different with some tracks and so special with others. It really is in the sound mix where it works or it doesn't with the Ultrasones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedalhead View Post
To be honest, I'm a bit skeptical about all this love for the 2500s, but, having never listened to them, I am also prepared to eat my cans (or something). I'd be very interested to hear how you get along with them. Please post your impressions when you can!
post #75 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agogic View Post
so I can write:" Stax headphones are all worse than Ulltrasonics!" without any explanation and you have to take it as absolute truth...
And this is why you take audio reviews with a grain of salt. No matter who's doing the review....it's all subjective ears anyway. I wonder if this same German magazine that Robm321 mentions is the same one that draurthurwells was using to claim that the SA5000 was the best all time headphone (happened on this thread a little while ago and is great LOL material):

Quote:
Originally Posted by drarthurwells View Post
Art: Well according to German reviews of many headphones, and Germans would be inclined to rate the German-made AKG high, you could argue that the SA5000 is superior to the AKG K1000.

Chisum's 6/16/04 post of German "Stereoplay" magazine test reports
Rated the Grado RS-1 ahead of the AKG K1000.

Results of headphone test in German magazine "Audio" 02/2006, posted on this forum by Superman's ears on 1/28/06, rated the SA5000 and RS-1 as both equal and better than any dynamic headphone they tested.

Conclusion: The SA5000 is better than the K1000.



Here are some results of the "Audio" 2/06 ratings (ranking by points):
===========================================
90 points = Grado RS-1
90 points = Koss ESP 950
90 points = Sony MDR-SA 5000
-------------------------------------------
85 points = Grado RS-2
-------------------------------------------
80 points = Sennheiser HD 650
-------------------------------------------
75 points = AKG K701
75 points = Beyerdynamic DT990
75 points = Beyerdynamic DT880
75 points = STAX SR 001 MK2
75 points = Ultimate Ears SF5 Pro
-------------------------------------------
70 points = AKG K601
70 points = Philips SBC HP 1000
70 points = Shure E4C
So whether it's written words, points, or percentages....it's still opinion, and one man's ranking system.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › STAX Omega II vs. Ultrasone Edition 7