New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tea-Fi? - Page 46

post #676 of 690


Thank you so much for this, bookmarking it now. :)

post #677 of 690
Great thread needs a bump.



-bump-
post #678 of 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudu View Post

Great thread needs a bump.



-bump-


Yummy! Jasmine green?

post #679 of 690
Gyokuro actually, but very yummy - buttery, grassy, um greeny...
post #680 of 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudu View Post

Gyokuro actually, but very yummy - buttery, grassy, um greeny...


Interesting. Been meaning to try some Gyokuro tea sometime. I'm still new to loose leaf brewing, but I am enjoying more variety of teas than I have ever before.  Most of the green teas I've ever tried are either Jasmine, matcha, or sencha.

post #681 of 690
All good choices!

I recommend you avoid gyokuro - or if you do try it, don't mention it to your bank account. It's probably still grumpy about your matcha.
post #682 of 690

Does anybody know what kind of oolong they use at generic "chinese" restaurants?

 

It has a really toasty flavor

post #683 of 690
No idea. Have you tried genmaicha? The toasted rice brings an almost popcorny element.
post #684 of 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudu View Post

All good choices!

I recommend you avoid gyokuro - or if you do try it, don't mention it to your bank account. It's probably still grumpy about your matcha.


Gyokuro is really picky about temperature and steep times, and if you mess up it's going to be as bitter. I also order my gyokuro from a Japanese company, so it tends to get stuck in customs for a month, and that always sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKENEDPLAGUE View Post
 

Does anybody know what kind of oolong they use at generic "chinese" restaurants?

 

It has a really toasty flavor


Not sure exactly what it is, but you can get similar results with a traditional roasted Tieguanyin or Wuyi-style Oolongs. I'm personally a huge fan of Wuyi's, and I highly recommend Da Hong Pao (big red robe). Good roasted Tieguanyin's are hard to find and usually in fairly limited quantities, but decent Da Hong Pao is easy to come by.

post #685 of 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty1110 View Post
 

Not sure exactly what it is, but you can get similar results with a traditional roasted Tieguanyin or Wuyi-style Oolongs. I'm personally a huge fan of Wuyi's, and I highly recommend Da Hong Pao (big red robe). Good roasted Tieguanyin's are hard to find and usually in fairly limited quantities, but decent Da Hong Pao is easy to come by.

 

Oh I know all about tie guan yin, it's a favorite. I have yet to get da hong pao though so that might be my next order (as well as a formosa oolong of some sort)

post #686 of 690
Yup, nothing worse than rushing your water and scalding your precious gyokuro frown.gif . But when you do it right it is so delicious and kind of addictive - complex depth of flavours that keep coming from different directions. Jade dew is aptly named.

The weird thing is I too order from Japan and, so far, mine have never made any kind of stop with customs (and my shipping address is probably ridiculously close to yours confused.gif).


This morning began thus -





but is forecasted to move towards a sencha Zuiko later in the morning, with the possibility of gyokuro by mid-late afternoon.
post #687 of 690

You both mention imported Japanese tea, where are your sources if I may ask?

post #688 of 690
There are quite a few options, but a couple I like are:

logo.png

logo.gif



and if you haven't tried

HD-DensTea2014.png

yet, you should - they operate out of the US and some of their teas are very good, and comparatively well priced.



Edited to fix image links.
Edited by Pudu - Yesterday at 8:32 pm
post #689 of 690

bookmarked them all.

 

I love getting new sources

post #690 of 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKENEDPLAGUE View Post
 

bookmarked them all.

 

I love getting new sources


I get Japanese teas from Den's Tea and Hibiki-An. Hibiki-An is the one that tends to get tied up in customs. I get most of my Chinese Teas from Verdant Tea, and with some free samples that I got from various places when I had more free time to do reviews. Those were the days...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home