Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › There's Something About Ultrasone…
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

There's Something About Ultrasone… - Page 11

post #151 of 5935
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sovkiller View Post
The burn in has two components, as we all know, one is psycological, the other the actual burn in, in which the diaphragm loosens up a little bit, and tightens the sound of the driver...
From my experience with the titanium-plated driver of the PROline 2500, 200 hours seemed pretty necessary for it to fully blossom; the HFI-650, with the gold-plated driver, came on song at around 125 hours. For me, the psychological aspect of the different presentation wasn't much of a factor since I wasn't a hardcore headphone listener attached to any particular type beforehand, and also because I was accustomed to a more diffuse loudspeaker presentation with my omnis.

Of course, everybody's experience will differ, and also there's no way Ultrasone is gonna recommend 200 hour burn-ins, as it would likely discourage folks from trying them. But for those willing to hang in there, they will be rewarded!
post #152 of 5935
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by miroslav View Post
Any further comparison between HFI-650 and 650/750 PROline is most welcomed. I`m trying to determine if the sound improvement is worth the price differences between these models.

I mean, I like the HFI-650s so much that the improvenets in SQ should be considerable to make me decide to go for any PROline model.
miroslav, I believe that you will be pleasantly surprised should you decide to make the leap either to the PROline 650 or 750.

I'm really enjoying my HFI-650, which have quickly become my favorite portable headphone. Their gold-plated drivers are more forgiving of source quality than the titanium-drivers of my 2500, so they are ideal for use with lower bit-rate AAC files on my iPod and therefore ideal for on-the-go. But since they have a smaller cup diameter than the PROline 650, their S-Logic presentation is slightly less effective.

Stepping up to the PROline 750 should provide you with highs like you've never experienced before. The resolution and detail of the titanium-driver is really quite astonishing, providing you're using top-quality source material.

So with either the PROline 650 or 750, I think you're in for a real treat!

Cheers, Dex
post #153 of 5935
I got my Proline 650 along with the HD650 this week and I just can't seem to be able to take the Proline 650 of my head.

The amount of bass (more than either the HD650 and Beyers 990) makes me enjoy them much more. They seem a little less detailed than the HD650 and Beyer 990 but this might change since I've only run them for around 100 hours.
post #154 of 5935
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartins View Post
The amount of bass (more than either the HD650 and Beyers 990) makes me enjoy them much more. They seem a little less detailed than the HD650 and Beyer 990 but this might change since I've only run them for around 100 hours.
Yes! Look for the PROline 650 to really come around in the detail department very, very soon, if my experience with the HFI-650 is any indication as they share the same driver. And please tell us all about it here once they do.

The HFI-2200 ULE has the same driver as well (and it should really be named PROline 2200, since it shares the cup configuration, cord and ear-pad switch ability, and MU-metal shielding of that range; it is the open-can compliment to the PROline 650 as the PROline 2500 is to the PROline 750). So its sound should be just a tiny bit more spacious, full and detailed than the 650.

Actually, I've got my sights set on a pair of PROline 750 for when others are in the living room, since Mrs. Dex doesn't appreciate the open nature of the 2500s.

miroslav, look for a PM from me shortly!
post #155 of 5935
I've decided I want to give the 2200s a go. Unfortunately, because of Ultrasone's MAP it's impossible to find any good deals on them. Anyone know somewhere that has a good price for them?
post #156 of 5935
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl View Post
I've decided I want to give the 2200s a go. Unfortunately, because of Ultrasone's MAP it's impossible to find any good deals on them. Anyone know somewhere that has a good price for them?
Carl, you've got PM!
post #157 of 5935
Since Carl is jumping on the wagon, i guess as fellow kiwi, i will too.
but i would get Proline 750 as it will be for my office.
can you pm me your best source too? currently the best one i know is US$300 shipped.

Thanks
post #158 of 5935
Thread Starter 
PM sent, nelda!
post #159 of 5935

Update after > 125 hours burn-in

Bass showed up. Pretty good too. On par with HD650.
Sizzling sounds in the high frequencies are gone. No sibilance whatsoever.
Tonal balance is VERY good.
I listened to some piano music. A close-mic 'ed recording of Listz' "Funerailles" played by Naum Grubert. I know both the recording and the live performance very well (I have heard the piece played by Grubert several times in the Concertgebouw).
I have never heard a piano this realistic on headphones before.
This sounds absolutely amazing. Speed, articulation and tonal balance are perfect.
I am VERY happy so far.

But it is not perfect (yet?):
Bass could be a bit tighter.
There is a weakness in the lower midrange. A lack of energy that takes the punch and drive a bit out of more energetic rock music.


Burn-in continues......
post #160 of 5935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
Bass showed up. Pretty good too. On par with HD650.
Sizzling sounds in the high frequencies are gone. No sibilance whatsoever.
Tonal balance is VERY good.
I listened to some piano music. A close-mic 'ed recording of Listz' "Funerailles" played by Naum Grubert. I know both the recording and the live performance very well (I have heard the piece played by Grubert several times in the Concertgebouw).
I have never heard a piano this realistic on headphones before.
This sounds absolutely amazing. Speed, articulation and tonal balance are perfect.
I am VERY happy so far.

But it is not perfect (yet?):
Bass could be a bit tighter.
There is a weakness in the lower midrange. A lack of energy that takes the punch and drive a bit out of more energetic rock music.


Burn-in continues......
It will improve definitelly, also keep in mind that you absolutelly need a very good amp, with high current, if you want to make it shine, the better the amp the better they will perform, as any other headphone...maybe you are hearing some limitations of the source/amp and not the headphone...
post #161 of 5935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sovkiller View Post
It will improve definitelly, also keep in mind that you absolutelly need a very good amp, with high current, if you want to make it shine, the better the amp the better they will perform, as any other headphone...maybe you are hearing some limitations of the source/amp and not the headphone...
My source is Marantz CD12/DA12 LE (IMO one of the best CD-players ever made) and for amping I used a Corda Prehead MkII SE and Rudistor NX-33.
I don't think they are the weak link.
Don't misunderstand me: I am very happy with what I am hearing now.
post #162 of 5935
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
...I have never heard a piano this realistic on headphones before.
This sounds absolutely amazing. Speed, articulation and tonal balance are perfect.
I am VERY happy so far....

Burn-in continues......
Well done, Kees, you're almost there!
post #163 of 5935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
My source is Marantz CD12/DA12 LE (IMO one of the best CD-players ever made) and for amping I used a Corda Prehead MkII SE and Rudistor NX-33.
I don't think they are the weak link.
Don't misunderstand me: I am very happy with what I am hearing now.
Curious to know which you prefer with the Ultrasone : Corda or Rudistor ? and why...
post #164 of 5935
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
Curious to know which you prefer with the Ultrasone : Corda or Rudistor ? and why...
I've read that the Rudistors have a particular synergy with Ultrasone. In fact, Ultrasone USA sells one especially voiced for the PROlines:



Would love to hear it one day!
post #165 of 5935
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
Curious to know which you prefer with the Ultrasone : Corda or Rudistor ? and why...
I have yet to find out.
I originally bought the Prehead as a (possibly temporary) replacement for my deceased AVM v3 pre-amp. I don't much like its pre-amp capabilities, but it turned out to be a very good match with my JVC/DX1000, who tend to have a rather difficult (read overpowering) bass. The Prehead is dry as a bone and very analytical, which controls this bass perfectly, but leaves the warm "woody" sound intact. It is probably a bit too much for the also very analytical Prolines. The Prolines are becoming a bit warmer with burn-in, so it is difficult to tell yet.
I also tried the single ended jack of the DX-33. This I find of a bit lesser quality than the balanced output I'm afraid. The overall sound signature though (a bit more warmth, a bit more body/power and a bit more bass), seems to fit the character of the Prolines a bit better so far.
I also have a Stealth coming up, to try as a replacement for the Prehead as a pre-amp. Altough I have heard that this amp is not the be-all-end-all of headphone amps, especially for lower impedance headphones, I am still also curious how this amp will perform with the Prolines.

To be continued.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › There's Something About Ultrasone…