Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › There's Something About Ultrasone…
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

There's Something About Ultrasone… - Page 8

post #106 of 5935
Thread Starter 
Heh-Heh, nice one, ralph!

The smilies are from HiFi Wigwam, another forum I've been known to frequent. Not much in the way of headphones there, however, but a jolly lot all the same!

For the time being, I think we can safely commandeer that HD280 smilie, 'cos everyone knows that Senn model is pants!

Just waitin' for the fur to fly, Dex
Head-Fi.org
[curl] 28: Connection timed out after 1034 milliseconds [url] http://sws.pricegrabber.com/search_xml.php?pid=1818&version=2.54&masterid=873391452&mode=huddler_headfiorg_pg_20&key=591e244f37df8221303625d6faffe3cf600b4ffad28a0f99e7862422

There Seems to be a Problem

We're sorry, but there's been an error in our system, and we can't complete your request. Please report this error to us, using our feedback system. Thanks!

post #107 of 5935
Does anyone read my posts?!!

It is like here is the smiley for me
post #108 of 5935
I've recently purchased the PROline 750 and 2500 models from Jan Meier (they have arrived in Florida, but I haven't had a chance to listen to them yet). I had also purchased my Edition 7 (way back when from Jan), so in our email exchange this time, we got to talking about the the Ultrasone sound and what I could expect to hear when my package arrived.

Jan is the King of Crossfeed. In fact, the man invented the idea (or at least he was the first to impliment it in a meaningful way in his headphone amps).

Here is part of our exchange (Jan, I hope you don't mind my quoting you!):

"> I'll have to try crossfeed with these new Ultrasones when they arrive.
> Great idea, but of course you would think of it! I'd imagine you do 90%
> of your headphone listening with crossfeed.

Actually 100%!

The effect is very pronounced with the Edition 7 but less with the other models.

Nonetheless, the Ultrasone has in-front-localisation by using the typical ear-shape of the listener. The crossfeed mimics the mixing and time-delays of the two channels. Thus both "systems" complement each other nicely."
post #109 of 5935
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolos View Post
Does anyone read my posts?!!

It is like here is the smiley for me
Yes, I read your posts but I don't the answers since a) I don't own the 2200 ULE headphones and b) I do own several different headphone amps, both portable and nonportable, so even if I did own the 2200 ULEs I would be using them with an amp.

The headphones are listed as having an impedance of 75 Ohms which is borderline for using without an amp. Most likely they would not play all that loud without an amp nor would they sound their best.

What exactly would you be driving them with?
post #110 of 5935
Hey Ralph,

Thanks for your reply. I will be using it out of Kenwood HD30GB9.

If it is easier to drive the 2500 (40 ohms), I will buy it instead. However, i don't really believe in ohms. for instance, Senn HD201 is extremely hard to drive and it has very low ohms. The Yuin PK1 earbus 130 ohms are relatively easy to drive.

If you can give a try unamped, I would really appreciate it. I am a click away from purchasing an ultrasone headphone.

I tried Grado sound and didn't like it. i liked Senn. better, but most of tried ultrasone 2200 enjoyed far better than the HD595 - I don't want to carry any amps, that is why I was considering the HD595.

Thanks!
post #111 of 5935
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolos View Post
Does anyone read my posts?!!

It is like here is the smiley for me
lolos, old fruit, you poor, poor fellow!

Yes, I have just gone through your posts only to discover that you have asked your HFI-2200 question on no less than 5 separate occasions spanning 3 different threads.

The good news is that help is close at hand! (special lolos smiley)

If you look back earlier in the thread, you'll find that I demoed the HFI-2200 through a bog-standard Marantz CD player, hardly a headphone powerhouse. Nonetheless, gain was excellent and the sound was fullsome and lush. So I don't believe that the 2200s are a terribly demanding drive.

And you could always shoot a PM over to spaceage, who posted this thread about the HFI-2200.

But my question to you is, are you aware that the 2200 are full-sized and open-back? Will you be using them in a portable setting?

If so, you might want to consider the HFI-650 instead.



They're smaller than the 2200 and the PROlines, and just about as large as I'd feel comfortable wearing in public. Not to mention, cheaper. Technically, they're no longer available in the States, but I'm sure if you pestered Ultrasone USA (but don't let them try to sell you the HFI-700, more suited for movie watching), they'd come through for you.

Regards, Dex
post #112 of 5935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmcmanus View Post
I've recently purchased the PROline 750 and 2500 models from Jan Meier (they have arrived in Florida, but I haven't had a chance to listen to them yet). I had also purchased my Edition 7 (way back when from Jan), so in our email exchange this time, we got to talking about the the Ultrasone sound and what I could expect to hear when my package arrived.

Jan is the King of Crossfeed. In fact, the man invented the idea (or at least he was the first to impliment it in a meaningful way in his headphone amps).

Here is part of our exchange (Jan, I hope you don't mind my quoting you!):

"> I'll have to try crossfeed with these new Ultrasones when they arrive.
> Great idea, but of course you would think of it! I'd imagine you do 90%
> of your headphone listening with crossfeed.

Actually 100%!

The effect is very pronounced with the Edition 7 but less with the other models.

Nonetheless, the Ultrasone has in-front-localisation by using the typical ear-shape of the listener. The crossfeed mimics the mixing and time-delays of the two channels. Thus both "systems" complement each other nicely."
How do you find the 2500 ? I just bought it and I am somewhat disappointed. The sound is very "soft". Bass is well defined, highs are not harsh, nothing stands out. But there is some "depth" lacking, the sound is too distant. Very relaxed listening - too relaxed !

Comfort is also an issue.

These impressions are based on comparison with the HD650 and Qualia, using an RSA Raptor amp out of the Resolution Audio Opus 21 player.

Edit : I can see how some would prefer this sound as it could be perceived as having a more "natural" tonal balance. Could take some time to get used to ... will not give up immediately... more to come.
post #113 of 5935
Thread Starter 
Hi gaijin,

How long did you allow the 2500 to run-in before making your comparisons?

Cheers, Dex
post #114 of 5935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexdexter View Post
Hi gaijin,

How long did you allow the 2500 to run-in before making your comparisons?

Cheers, Dex
As I said, more to come...

I am not big on burn-in. A few hours should do I believe. The point is these cans do deserve some more time - not for burn in per se, but for ear adjustment.
post #115 of 5935
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolos View Post
Someone please let me know the answer to this:

Can 2200 ULE be used without a headphone amp?

Thanks
Yes, you can use them without an amp, but just barely. Out of my DAP, I have to just about max the sound for my usual listening level, and they definately sound thinner without the amp. Hence, I always run them out of an amp.
post #116 of 5935
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
I am not big on burn-in. A few hours should do I believe.
gaijin, I do believe that you are in for a very pleasant surprise!
post #117 of 5935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceage View Post
Yes, you can use them without an amp, but just barely. Out of my DAP, I have to just about max the sound for my usual listening level, and they definately sound thinner without the amp. Hence, I always run them out of an amp.
I have used mine out of the Panasonic 570 and at full volume it offers a very decent sound and enough for a happy listening, and BTW no thin at all, very robust sound with no bass boost...IMO that depends of the capability of source used, but anyway I'm not planning ot use them as portable heapdhones, as they are too big for that....I have the portapros for that purpose...
post #118 of 5935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmcmanus View Post
"....Jan is the King of Crossfeed. In fact, the man invented the idea (or at least he was the first to impliment it in a meaningful way in his headphone amps).

Here is part of our exchange (Jan, I hope you don't mind my quoting you!):

"> I'll have to try crossfeed with these new Ultrasones when they arrive.
> Great idea, but of course you would think of it! I'd imagine you do 90%
> of your headphone listening with crossfeed.

Actually 100%!

The effect is very pronounced with the Edition 7 but less with the other models.

Nonetheless, the Ultrasone has in-front-localisation by using the typical ear-shape of the listener. The crossfeed mimics the mixing and time-delays of the two channels. Thus both "systems" complement each other nicely."
I agree on that 100%, there is no way of substitute the crossfeed with the S-Logic, as the bleeding from one channel to the other is still missing, and if you applies it, the result is far better than with any other heapdhone, the sound comes completelly infront of you, like while listening speakers...
post #119 of 5935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sovkiller View Post
I agree on that 100%, there is no way of substitute the crossfeed with the S-Logic, as the bleeding from one channel to the other is still missing, and if you applies it, the result is far better than with any other heapdhone, the sound comes completelly infront of you, like while listening speakers...
I use my Proline 750s with a Headroom Desktop amp with the crossfeed turned on and I completely agree with Sovkiller, in fact I have the effect that the S-Logic has in almost the exact same way as the quote above. Very "speaker like" is a good way to put it.
post #120 of 5935
Thread Starter 
BTW, have I mentioned that my PROline 2500s have recently acquired an Ultrasone sibling here at Chez Dex?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › There's Something About Ultrasone…