or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Borat the movie - Page 5

post #61 of 139
Did you see that it opened at #1 with $26.4m and only 837 cinemas showing it, as opposed to The Santa Clause 3 with $20m and 3,458 cinemas? There was only one place showing it here, and they were sold out for the whole weekend. Yay Borat!
post #62 of 139
Thread Starter 
They lost over $50 million because they cut down the number of theatres.
post #63 of 139
The Running of the Jew. Funniest $hit ever. This film is an aisle rollers paradise.

I'm so glad he proved that fratboy stereotypes are simply not stereotypes. Those kids will lose any and all respect from their friends and family assuming they ever see the film. Kids attending an "institution of higher learning" that were actually more ignorant than the old cowboy? Simply amazing. An absolute perfect example of the current supposed trendiness towards willfull ignorance and the apathetic nature surrounding it. Yeah we should bring back slavery.
post #64 of 139
I would bet any money that those kids were just actors.

That was my only problem with the movie, that some of it was clearly staged.
post #65 of 139
I saw the movie on Sunday afternoon and I agree that it was indeed hilarious. One of the better movies I have seen in a long time. I also found that although the internet hype helped the movie, it also ruined it to an extent because I knew what was coming...but it was still funny.

I think it's ironic that Cohen himself is Jewish (correct me if I'm wrong) and completely trashes the Jewish people with his character (the 9/11 joke got a huge "ohhh!" from the audience) As far as I know the language he and Azamat Bagatov are speaking is Hebrew...lol hilarious!
post #66 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by JahJahBinks
They lost over $50 million because they cut down the number of theatres.
That's impossible to calculate (surely no one will see it next week instead!), though I don't doubt someone ventured that guess. Surely they lost something as they didn't have the confidence in the film they obviously should have had.

It would be interesting to find out what jokes caused the most discomfort (even if laughing during) in different parts of the country (and world). Don't want to give any spoilers out so won't list the couple jokes that you could hear a collective gasp at my screening, but I wouldn't doubt there would be slightly different reactions in different parts of the country/world over etiquette, etc.
post #67 of 139
As threads like this show, people's response to/interpretation of this movie can be as funny as the movie itself.
post #68 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless
I saw the movie on Sunday afternoon and I agree that it was indeed hilarious. One of the better movies I have seen in a long time. I also found that although the internet hype helped the movie, it also ruined it to an extent because I knew what was coming...but it was still funny.

I think it's ironic that Cohen himself is Jewish (correct me if I'm wrong) and completely trashes the Jewish people with his character (the 9/11 joke got a huge "ohhh!" from the audience) As far as I know the language he and Azamat Bagatov are speaking is Hebrew...lol hilarious!
Yeh they were speaking Hebrew...I am a Jew and found it funny that Jews in the cinema were laughing, but I find that he can be overly antisemetic at points (throwing money at the insects...). Think about how easily those people got wound up with "throw the jew down the well".

Borat brings out the worst in a society, and does it in a hilarious way, there is a completely different level to Borat over the pure decadent behaviour. Alot of people there don't know he is Jewish, so take him literally; I hope that people do not take him seriously, we really don't need more antisemetism in the current world.
post #69 of 139
I've been enjoying Borat for the past few years when my friend started sending me Ali G episodes from England. Then , of course on HBO. Can't wait to see this movie later today.

For the record, yes SBC is Jewish and he went to Cambridge. His first comedic effort was a small spoof video he did dressed up as a Hasidic Jew.
post #70 of 139
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessingx
That's impossible to calculate (surely no one will see it next week instead!), though I don't doubt someone ventured that guess. Surely they lost something as they didn't have the confidence in the film they obviously should have had.
Actually I got that figure from a source:

http://www.boratrules.com/live/story.cfm?storyID=5148

On a side note, I am a bit surprised that the filming crew didn't get shot when driving down in ghetto neighborhoods in Atlanta.
post #71 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1GTR
I'm so glad he proved that fratboy stereotypes are simply not stereotypes.
How ironic. How does filming one group of frat boys, likely selected and used in the film for their outrageousness, prove that a stereotype is not just a stereotype?


Quote:
Originally Posted by JahJahBinks
Actually I got that figure from a source:

http://www.boratrules.com/live/story.cfm?storyID=5148
Getting the figure from a source doesn't make it magically true. And even the source comments that it isn't a realistic way of figuring the number.
post #72 of 139
Hey, sorry, I didn't mean to be racist in my last post -- I was only throwing out a theory of how the U.S.'s collective unconciousness might be reacting to Borat.


But stereotyping? Absolutely. Comedy is BUILT on stereotypes. I took a sitcom writing course while in USC film school. The gist of the course is that all sitcoms (Comedies) are built on stereotype. The list goes on and on. From "Friends" (Phoebe=flake, Joey=Dumb swarthy type, Chandler=neurotic jewish, and the rest, "dumb blonde" etc.) to "Barney Miller" ("The Gambler" "The Curmudgeon" "Vanity" "The cheapskate" etc.) The key, according to our prof., is that all these stereotyped characters are immediately recognizable to the audience within the first few words they speak. The PC crowd may lose their nut over this, but it's COMEDY - FARCE. It ain't highbrow. It isn't politically correct. It's supposed to be FUNNY. Laughing at our failures or another's. Laughing at recognizeable stereotypes e.g. the absurdity of common human traits.

When Borat sings "Throw the Jew down the Well," you can either find it offensive or laugh at it as a send-up of racism. If you find it offensive, pity you.
post #73 of 139
I do not find it offensive, I think it is hilarious. However, some uneducated people get reved up at such songs, and it could lead to doing things that would otherwise not do. There should be some kind of disclaimer that is is comedy, because i'm telling you, some people do not know better.


Quote:
Originally Posted by chadbang
Hey, sorry, I didn't mean to be racist in my last post -- I was only throwing out a theory of how the U.S.'s collective unconciousness might be reacting to Borat.


But stereotyping? Absolutely. Comedy is BUILT on stereotypes. I took a sitcom writing course while in USC film school. The gist of the course is that all sitcoms (Comedies) are built on stereotype. The list goes on and on. From "Friends" (Phoebe=flake, Joey=Dumb swarthy type, Chandler=neurotic jewish, and the rest, "dumb blonde" etc.) to "Barney Miller" ("The Gambler" "The Curmudgeon" "Vanity" "The cheapskate" etc.) The key, according to our prof., is that all these stereotyped characters are immediately recognizable to the audience within the first few words they speak. The PC crowd may lose their nut over this, but it's COMEDY - FARCE. It ain't highbrow. It isn't politically correct. It's supposed to be FUNNY. Laughing at our failures or another's. Laughing at recognizeable stereotypes e.g. the absurdity of common human traits.

When Borat sings "Throw the Jew down the Well," you can either find it offensive or laugh at it as a send-up of racism. If you find it offensive, pity you.
post #74 of 139
I haven't seen it yet, but I've been reading reviews at Metacritic and no doubt spoiling it for myself. I can imagine the distributors saying, "Well, uh, do you think we could lose the whole, uh, naked guy thing?"

I'm looking forward to the Bruno movie, but maybe that's just me.
post #75 of 139
Borat is not for everyone. Comedy is a personal preference. Basically, there are maybe 2 types of comedies:

The silly slapstick and the intellectual humour. I like both actually. If you tend to favor the more intellectual humour with subdued silliness, you probably won't like Borat. If you expect a good plot in a movie, you will dislike the movie since the plot is thin.

To me, it's a great movie but I happen to like comedy that's on the extreme edge and I still find this movie to be creative and original in my opinion. If crude humour is not your cup of tea, you may want to avoid this film.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home