or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Borat the movie - Page 8

post #106 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_baseball_08
I don't like this statement for a couple of reasons but mostly for the moronic assumption that just because a school is located in the South, that the people who attend are ignorant.
You're the one making the moronic assumption here while generalizing to the Nth degree. Nowhere did I say EVERYONE that attends an institution of higher learning in the Old South is ignorant or because you live there you are ignorant. In a roundabout way I said that I wasn't surprised at all to hear ignorant "women should be in the kitchen" and slavery related comments coming from frat boys attending a school in the Old South, specifically South Carolina where the state flag has been a debate. The truth hurts sometimes and I'm not making any assumptions. Having lived in Texas most of my life, and Georgia for five years, I speak from experience. I also had some family living in Tupelo for awhile so I've seen it all.

If you don't believe the Old South has a unique and pervasive ignorance, you either haven't lived anywhere else long enough to become aware of it or you're in denial.
post #107 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisets
Totally agree with both of these comments. The movie was hilarious, but the fake story parts really turned me off. What's the point of even having a plot in something like this? It added nothing to the movie, because the reason people see this movie is to see all the the skits within. The plot added nothing to the social commentary aspect.
So, if I understand correctly, you are a Family Guy fan?
post #108 of 139
<SPOILERS>

Salon's What's Real in Borat? is worth a read.

</SPOILERS>
post #109 of 139
I saw the movie last night. I really liked it, but I think the TV show had some harder-hitting segments. For instance, a lot of the movie is predicated on the idea that Borat will run into people who share his anti-semitism, but the only anti-semitic comment in the movie is from a drunken frat kid. So it kind of makes Borat's anti-semitism a little gratuitous. There's really nothing in the movie that shows western society in a really negative light, in contrast to the TV show. Moments like "Throw the Jew Down the Well", the guy who shot the Pere David deer, etc. aren't in the movie. I guess I wanted more social commentary. But overall it's still a very funny movie.
post #110 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachary80
So, if I understand correctly, you are a Family Guy fan?
You are correct sir.
post #111 of 139
Such a great movie. Other than Snakes on a Plane is was the most fun I've had in a theater. The wrestling scene was just too much, my face still hurts from laughing so much.
post #112 of 139
Oh no.. i have to wait 2 weeks to see it..
Out tomorrow, study for exams next weekend, exams the week after that

But when that weekend comes..
Really can't wait, loved those Ali G clips, especially the one where he goes around to companies showing his inventions.. ice cream glove? CLASSIC!
post #113 of 139
Saw it last night. Did not like it. After leaving the theatre my first comment to my friends was "It made me laugh, but it wasn't funny". I was in the minority. I will also say that I have never seen SBC do anything other than commercials for Ali G and his part in Ricky Bobby.

I found the scripted bits took away from the experience and most of the unscripted bits were just downright mean. I fail to see what is funny in picking on the etiquette people. They seemed like reasonable people to me.

Scared anti-Semites throwing money at Jewish roaches, when the anti-semite is in reality Jewish. LMAO...pause-not! The B & B scene was totally lame

The church scene wasn't funny, the church folk were genuine and did nothing wrong. Instead Borat invades their service and preys on their good intentions for the purpose of ridicule? Not funny. Where is the humour or satire. It was funny that a foreign bum crashed on their stoop, but they seemed to accept him as you would expect from their beliefs.

The majority of the fight scene wasn't funny because it was scripted. It was only once they were in the elevator that it became funny. I admire their courage. But even then, where is the satire?

I get that Borat the character is satire, but I fail to see how the movie itself is satire or social commentary. Only the rodeo, rang true as real satire to me. Even then he pushed it too far with his scorched earth comments.

A bunch of drunk dumb frats, do not provide any insight into American culture. I do not excuse their behaviour, they are responsible for what they do and say (and for the state they were in) but alcohol does tend to make people do and say things they wouldn't otherwise. Again I think SBC preyed on them because he saw them as easy targets. Disturbing racist/sexist comments from drunk frat boys? How Shocking I mean boring.

I much perfer South Park(TV and Movie) and Team America for shining a light in those dark areas we would prefer not to look.

And for low humour, nothing was funnier than watching Johnny Knoxville get kicked in the nuts by an entire kindergarten class.
post #114 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyC
..."It made me laugh, but it wasn't funny".
?
post #115 of 139
i saw the movie last weekend and liked it. sbc plays the clown borat well, and borat is as much a clown as fully made-up clarabell or bozo, right down to the funny underwear and pathos.

just to keep things in perspective, here is a short and incomplete list of movies funnier than borat:
the producers (1968)
some like it hot
7 year itch
blazing saddles
duck soup
a fish called wanda
life of brian

makes me think chadbang may be on to something.
post #116 of 139
Just don't understand that such an idiot get so much attention. All my colleague are really crazy about the stupidity that he shows. Playing with people minds this way isn't funny, however for me this is one more prove how low you can sink in your illusions about the world. If I need an simple humor I will watch DUMB&DUMBER! I am not from Kazakhstan or South of US but I would be furious if I were. Racism is everywhere, not only US South. Look at Russia and OLD West Europe, yeah. Or try to start your life in Japan with your whiteness and wide eyes, a-ha…
If this guy really BRAVE, like someone said up here, than he must go to IRAN and make some fun up there. Or even in Russia, where his movie is forbidden at the moment.
What I am trying to say is that I were never an supporter of such humor that based on other people problems. This is LOW in all ways, IMO. People laugh about things that they don't even know or heard before. Please tell me, why are you laugh then? What make this so funny for you? If you laugh about something do not mean that this was or is funny at all. I like an intelligent humor. Humor that based on culture and life. Humor that is part of your life as well. Otherwise this has nothing to do with humor at all, PURE COMMERCIAL BULL ****, nothing more...

PS FYI. I like the humor, like make some fun and go crazy sometimes. But by generalizing he puts all of you in the same corner. He makes laugh of you even that's not directly about you. The idea of been on the same boat full with sheep's where the wolf is the captain don't give me a positive feeling of free life. Freedom isn't pack of candy that can taste the same in every part of the world. Freedom is when you love you country, love your family and love been who you are. And as last but not least, getting respect for it.
And please don't give me this FREE YOUR MIND thing, because this has nothing to do with it. If you ask me what I would choose to make some statement about freedom. This kind of humor or possibility to smoke a joint, I choose JOINT.


ONLY BY RESPECTING AND KNOWING SOMEONE VERY WELL, YOU MAY MAKE SOME FUN ABOUT THEM.

BE REAL, STAY COOL, GIVE RESPECT TO GET ONE BACK AND SMILE TO ANYONE EVEN THEY DONT LOOK LIKE YOU. THIS IS HARD BUT WORTH ALL GOLD IN THE WORLD.
post #117 of 139
Quote:
IMO. People laugh about things that they don't even know or heard before. Please tell me, why are you laugh then? What make this so funny for you? If you laugh about something do not mean that this was or is funny at all. I like an intelligent humor. Humor that based on culture and life. Humor that is part of your life as well. Otherwise this has nothing to do with humor at all, PURE COMMERCIAL BULL ****, nothing more...
I'm not sure what you mean by "things they don't even know or heard before". You yourself say that racism is everywhere and not limited to Kazakhstan or the Southern U.S. Everyone, everywhere, knows about it and can relate to some degree from one side of it, if not both.

I think perhaps some of us are losing the sight of the fact that this movie is a comedy .... designed to be entertaining and to make people laugh. In that light, IMO, Borat is aa overwhelming success. If it wasn't, you wouldn't have theatres full of people laughing hysterically.

There are all types of comedy. Some comedy pokes fun at society, some pokes fun at others, and some pokes fun at ourselves. Some comedy points out serious social issues. Some comedy is simple slapstick like slipping on a banana peel. Different people find different things funny. Jackass for example is nothing more than people physically hurting themselves and others ... yet many people find that extremely funny. Everyone has their own take on what is funny. Believing that only one's own sense of humour is valid, is very narrow thinking IMO.
post #118 of 139
There is someone who wrote like this: "Did you ever heard about Kazakhstan before Borat movie came out?" Something like that, just look through threads and you will see.
Maybe it is like you say, for every person his own humor, NP with me. But there is one tinny line between, LAUGHING because you know the situation or LAUGHING because you think/feel it is funny...
I wasn't even trying to convince someone to change his mind. This is my thoughts only and how I feel about this particular situation, not anybody else...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbriant
I'm not sure what you mean by "things they don't even know or heard before". You yourself say that racism is everywhere and not limited to Kazakhstan or the Southern U.S. Everyone, everywhere, knows about it and can relate to some degree from one side of it, if not both.

I think perhaps some of us are losing the sight of the fact that this movie is a comedy .... designed to be entertaining and to make people laugh. In that light, IMO, Borat is aa overwhelming success. If it wasn't, you wouldn't have theatres full of people laughing hysterically.

There are all types of comedy. Some comedy pokes fun at society, some pokes fun at others, and some pokes fun at ourselves. Some comedy points out serious social issues. Some comedy is simple slapstick like slipping on a banana peel. Different people find different things funny. Jackass for example is nothing more than people physically hurting themselves and others ... yet many people find that extremely funny. Everyone has their own take on what is funny. Believing that only one's own sense of humour is valid, is very narrow thinking IMO.
post #119 of 139
Borat is so brilliant and so popular because it works on several levels. The dumbest people and the smartest people will both love this movie, and for different reasons.

Borat works excellently as social satire, but not nearly as well as the TV show does.

For example, most people think its funny because they like to laugh at social sterotypes and foriegners. In reality, he is making fun of these people, and simply playing into American arrogance and narcissm. The film isnt funny because nobody has heard of Kazakhstan, it is funny because of how many people actually believe this is what Kazakh people are like. For those who think you are 'too smart' for this movie, and for those of you who think 'its just a stupid movie' you are BOTH missing the point. I would suggest studying up a bit of the serious film criticism of this movie.

Here is a quick place to start:
http://solomonrothman.com/blog/2006/...al-commentary/
post #120 of 139
Sacha Cohen had some thoughts on the controversy in some quarters...

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Movi...eut/index.html

Personally, I think that's all obvious...but then again, I don't find the movie reallly controversial. Just gleefully and fearlessly offensive.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home