Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Gear-Fi: Non-Audio Gear and Gadgets › Pen-Fi (FPs, RBs, BPs, etc...) [56k Warning]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pen-Fi (FPs, RBs, BPs, etc...) [56k Warning] - Page 103

post #1531 of 2623
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisSSK View Post

wow talk about long lasting. Is ink/nib a big factor at this point? Or should I worry about that later?

You know, I own a few vintage pens and the thing that is the last thing to worry about I find is the nib! I also have a Parker Duofold made in 1928. It has the original nib and the only thing that has been done to it since it was made was a new ink sac replacement! and I write with it every day! in fact, it could be said that the older pens are much better made and more reliable, remember, back then there was no alternative to write with so fountain pens were huge business and it was a very competitive industry so pens had to be hardwearing and reliable for the makers to last.

That did not mean they had to be expensive either, look at Esterbrooks with their interchangeable nibs, not expensive pens and amongst pen collectors today very desirable.

With vintage always check to see if it has been serviced, if so and they usually are, then you will probably be good to go for another twenty/thirty years before an ink sac needs replacing! For the Aerometric 51's, well they are all but bullet proof! I recently got a 51 special from ebay, I won it for $25 as it was being sold as is. Once it arrived I flushed it in warm soapy water till all the old ink was gone, then clean water and then filled it with ink. The pen writes like a dream and that was all that was needed doing, very rare a sac needs replacing on those models and the one I got was made over 55 years ago!
post #1532 of 2623
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmedium View Post


You know, I own a few vintage pens and the thing that is the last thing to worry about I find is the nib! I also have a Parker Duofold made in 1928. It has the original nib and the only thing that has been done to it since it was made was a new ink sac replacement! and I write with it every day! in fact, it could be said that the older pens are much better made and more reliable, remember, back then there was no alternative to write with so fountain pens were huge business and it was a very competitive industry so pens had to be hardwearing and reliable for the makers to last.
That did not mean they had to be expensive either, look at Esterbrooks with their interchangeable nibs, not expensive pens and amongst pen collectors today very desirable.
With vintage always check to see if it has been serviced, if so and they usually are, then you will probably be good to go for another twenty/thirty years before an ink sac needs replacing! For the Aerometric 51's, well they are all but bullet proof! I recently got a 51 special from ebay, I won it for $25 as it was being sold as is. Once it arrived I flushed it in warm soapy water till all the old ink was gone, then clean water and then filled it with ink. The pen writes like a dream and that was all that was needed doing, very rare a sac needs replacing on those models and the one I got was made over 55 years ago!

Wow now I want a vintage pen lol.

post #1533 of 2623

wink_face.gif Another thing to consider is ink...in quantity. How much will your pen hold, considering you'll be chasing lecture notes and lots of them. I currently use a Lamy Safari for letters, notes, cards and graffiti ( rolleyes.gif joking about that last one) and the cart runs out rather quickly!

 

Capacity is one more thing that I find attractive about my soon to purchase Pilot Falcon - larger cart.wink.gif

post #1534 of 2623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post

wink_face.gif  Another thing to consider is ink...in quantity. How much will your pen hold, considering you'll be chasing lecture notes and lots of them. I currently use a Lamy Safari for letters, notes, cards and graffiti ( rolleyes.gif  joking about that last one) and the cart runs out rather quickly!

Capacity is one more thing that I find attractive about my soon to purchase Pilot Falcon - larger cart.wink.gif

Yeah, that is why I suggested the TWSBI, CC's just don't hold enough ink. I guess the only way to combat that is to use cartridges which are easily replaceable on the fly or carry a bottle of ink around but I would not want to risk that.

Another option is to use an eye dropper pen but that can get messy!

Probably one of the best modern pens for this use has to be the new TWSBI Vac, that holds a ton of ink and has an ink valve which will switch off ink flow when not needed but that one is a $100
post #1535 of 2623

Great! I'll need to look at that, thanks to you. I hope our fellow member has "back up," as taking lecture notes may require speed.

post #1536 of 2623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post

Great! I'll need to look at that, thanks to you. I hope our fellow member has "back up," as taking lecture notes may require speed.

Your welcome, I think a back up is a great idea! So how about this which covers all bases. A TWSBI Vac and a vintage 51 both with fine or medium nibs so that they can write on any type of paper. I reckon probably $150 should get you both, then a nice simple black or blue ink, say waterman or montblanc as they seem to have fewer issues than a lot of other inks and in my experience are slightly drier writing inks and your set to go with two bullet proof pens and ink and not only that but highly enjoyable pens to write with as well!
post #1537 of 2623

This should work well for him! I'm sure he'll find a way to deal with being the envy of classmates later. biggrin.gif

post #1538 of 2623

Well I went to a stationary/bookstore and found a corner with watermans/parkers/lamys/pelicanos/some other brands and got myself a lamy safari so that I can start practicing my penmanship :P.
All in all, it cost about ~45 dollars for the pen + 2 ink packets (10 ink cartridges). I think I'll upgrade to a TWSBI once I get used to using a fountain pen :D

post #1539 of 2623

Good to hear! Perhaps, now I can lie down for some quality sleep. What color Lamy? You go medium-fine-extra fine??

beerchug.gif


Edited by Silent One - 8/13/12 at 2:46am
post #1540 of 2623

I find the fine nibs on Lamy Safari to be more on the medium side.

post #1541 of 2623

I got a fine nib and its sort of a matte black color. 

post #1542 of 2623

I bought the Lamy Charcoal - Fine point. I didn't have the luxury of scribbling in person but did learn that Lamy's Fine is another's Medium. Will likely go finer with the upcoming Pilot Falcon.

 

On another note - tongue_smile.gif pun intended - as much as I love my iPhones and have been getting near annual upgrades, they still cannot touch the handwritten note. Sometimes, I'll carry a few notes, different styles in a leather portfolio (10.5x8x2"). Whatever the choices, I always make sure a few stark white envelopes are available. To see ink from a fountain pen scribed onto a stark white crisp linen envelope...wow! In this digital era, this can still take a recipient's breath away!


Edited by Silent One - 8/13/12 at 11:02pm
post #1543 of 2623

Not to retract anyone from the joy that is a good fountain pen or other exclusive writing instruments... But I present you my favorite ballpoint that I find vastly superior to any pen I have tried.

700

It's the Pentel Energel BLN35 retractable. It has a non-retractable cousin but the retractables have always sat in my hand much better. I was saddened when I heard that Pentel is discontinuing them however Cultpens seem to still stock them.

 

What are your favorites from the ballpoint bunch? Or just from more pedestrian writing instruments.

post #1544 of 2623
 
 
 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudeWolf View Post

What are your favorites from the ballpoint bunch? Or just from more pedestrian writing instruments.

 

Well I really like the Zebra H-8000, and UNI Laknock Fine ballpoints

700

700

But my favorite is the Rotring 600

700

 

 
post #1545 of 2623

The Rotring 600 looks interesting. :thumb: Very nice.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Gear-Fi: Non-Audio Gear and Gadgets › Pen-Fi (FPs, RBs, BPs, etc...) [56k Warning]