Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Wooaudio new stax amp for O2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Wooaudio new stax amp for O2 - Page 12

post #166 of 174
I really appreciate the recommendations for good 12AX7 tubes, and I'll get some of them to try. What I'd also like to know is whether the Sylvania 6S4A tubes, that I'm now using, are likely to be as good as it gets. Or, what additional brands I should try.
post #167 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg View Post
I really appreciate the recommendations for good 12AX7 tubes, and I'll get some of them to try. What I'd also like to know is whether the Sylvania 6S4A tubes, that I'm now using, are likely to be as good as it gets. Or, what additional brands I should try.
I don't have any experience with that tube but RCA u getter seem to be favored by some. Maybe jamato8 has some thoughts on them though. All the brands of these seem to be US made and when this is the case, Sylvania, Tung-sol, RCA, and Raytheon are some of the usual suspects.
post #168 of 174
Soooo has anyone done any tuberolling yet ? Mikeg ,any further impressions,thoughts or ideas on it ?
post #169 of 174
Sorry to disappoint, but I've immersed myself in the great sound of my newly purchased JBL LSR 6328P nearfield studio monitors. That's why I haven't spent any time with my HE90 headphone setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekbmn View Post
Soooo has anyone done any tuberolling yet ? Mikeg ,any further impressions,thoughts or ideas on it ?
post #170 of 174
Any further impressions on the sound and perhaps tuberolling?

I've just tried the HE90 from an 007tMk2 yesterday and the sound, compared to an elderly Stax T1, despite having a better bass, clarity and resolution capabilities, was also drier, more brittle, and simply didn't let the music flow as naturally as the Omega II 'phones, which had problems on their own but were also more liquid, pratty and engaging on many circumstances.
post #171 of 174
I'll bring my HE90/GES rig to the meet in Tampa, FL, this Saturday. An HE90/Aristaeus rig may also be there. Hopefully, this will result in some comments regarding the GES' performance versus the Aristaeus'. As for tube rolling with the GES, I haven't done that yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saint.panda View Post
Any further impressions on the sound and perhaps tuberolling?

I've just tried the HE90 from an 007tMk2 yesterday and the sound, compared to an elderly Stax T1, despite having a better bass, clarity and resolution capabilities, was also drier, more brittle, and simply didn't let the music flow as naturally as the Omega II 'phones, which had problems on their own but were also more liquid, pratty and engaging on many circumstances.
post #172 of 174
Ah Aristaeus vs Woo Audio through well acquainted ears will definitely be an exciting thing to hear
post #173 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by saint.panda View Post
Any further impressions on the sound and perhaps tuberolling?

I've just tried the HE90 from an 007tMk2 yesterday and the sound, compared to an elderly Stax T1, despite having a better bass, clarity and resolution capabilities, was also drier, more brittle, and simply didn't let the music flow as naturally as the Omega II 'phones, which had problems on their own but were also more liquid, pratty and engaging on many circumstances.
I don't know what Stax did to the newer amps but I like the T1 much more then any of them. It's a nice match to the He90 because it doesn't shine a spotlight on their flaws and it has enough transparency to let them do their thing. The bass is a bit loose but I can live with it. The T1's main problem is parts quality and aging electrolytic's so I'm going to finally overhaul it with new wires, caps, resistors and connectors and it should improve quite a bit.
post #174 of 174
Any further thoughts on tube rolling for the GES?

I refuse to pay what some expect for some 12AX7's what about the 12BZ7's?

Using EH-1.2B's

Thanks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Wooaudio new stax amp for O2