Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum) › ERS Paper - picture and video thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ERS Paper - picture and video thread - Page 18

post #256 of 376
Geeze Patrick, you're still going strong on the ERS paper! Perhaps it's time for a new hobby? :/
post #257 of 376
you guys are well aware that he is clinically nuts right? I'm quite serious about this.
post #258 of 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNoob View Post
you guys are well aware that he is clinically nuts right? I'm quite serious about this.
Until you hear his system!

And you know even high end system are made crappy. Lots of room for improvements. I bet patricks setup is as good as 200.000 dollar bought setup.
post #259 of 376
Did you watch his video?

my precioussss. hehehehe... ugh
post #260 of 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNoob View Post
Did you watch his video?

my precioussss. hehehehe... ugh
Patrick is a pioneer! We all could learn something from his work. Some is not that practical but lots of things are. Now we know the magix feet are the best feet to get, for instance. And it's not that hard to put a few sheets of ers paper in your dac or cdplayer. It all helps to get the best sound. I wouldn't go as far as patrick does and cover it all in paper, but at least we know the paper works!
post #261 of 376
How the hell does a toroid vibrate. If you can explain please...
post #262 of 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelkernel8 View Post
How the hell does a toroid vibrate. If you can explain please...
Usually the question is "How do I stop my torroid from humming?"

Any DC offset on the line will cause it to vibrate, plus its position and rotation compared with other components, and the quality of its construction all contribute.
post #263 of 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelkernel8 View Post
How the hell does a toroid vibrate. If you can explain please...

If i am correct, the lorenzt forces cause fibration in the coils. The bigger the toroid, the more fibration.
post #264 of 376
Thread Starter 

Removed ERS Paper around transport's power cord = more jitter!

I removed the dual layer ERS from Cary transport's Valhalla power cord and the difference was HUGE! It sounded very edgy with lack of low-level detail. The boosted whiteness gave fake blackness and transparency, it's a little fatiguing but I like it more.

When I compare Cary against computer the difference is bigger than ever before. Computer sounds very full, warm and hairy with more low-level detail, it sounds greyer but there is more true transparency.


Adding noise into the transport doesn't matter to me, it's still the same performance but a different flavor of jitter. ERS Paper for the DAC and amp gave extended frequencies, it made it sound whiter and more revealing. But ERS Paper for the transport does the opposite, it removes the whiteness because of less jitter.

It's crazy how different my two transports sound from each other now! I like them both.



Edit: It is weird how people care about the source of the signal so much, it doesn't magically make the system more revealing, it's just the jitter that changes. Even mp3 is good enough. Tweaking the DAC and amp give the real improvements in performance!

I still use 192kbps mp3 as my reference albums. I'm not listening to the music, I'm listening to my DAC and amp. Even the digital cable doesn't matter. Cheap Toslink is good enough. Jittery transport and fully tweaked DAC and amp is the way to go. If it sounds too edgy and fatiguing, put some ERS Paper into the transport.
post #265 of 376
I have to say, this product seems entirely useless.

You are entirely destroying the airflow within the amps, which would lead in an increase in temperature within the amp. In solid state amps, the Capacitors characteristics are greatly changed as they heat up.


So any benefit that could be had from this product, would be negated by the fact that it is causing an increase in temperature.

And not only would the benefits be non-existant, but the lifespan of the amp would be diminished, as heat is the biggest enemy of capacitors.



EDIT: Just to mention, I will believe it when there is more evidence than people's oppinion. As the fact they just spent alot of money on it, is enough to sway their views subconciously.
You would be better off creating some sort of cooling design to keep the amp cool, than shoving it full of ERS paper, and making it an oven.
post #266 of 376
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnGnome View Post
I have to say, this product seems entirely useless.
It's only useless if you don't have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnGnome View Post
You are entirely destroying the airflow within the amps, which would lead in an increase in temperature within the amp. In solid state amps, the Capacitors characteristics are greatly changed as they heat up.
Before I tweaked the Benchmark DAC1 it didn't have any holes for air to leave or enter. But now there is.

My amp is much cooler than DAC1. The chassis is bigger too. But I still haven't blocked the small holes at the bottom for airflow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnGnome View Post
So any benefit that could be had from this product, would be negated by the fact that it is causing an increase in temperature.

And not only would the benefits be non-existant, but the lifespan of the amp would be diminished, as heat is the biggest enemy of capacitors.
That's the good thing with cheap gear, once they blow up you just get new ones after a couple months of fasting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnGnome View Post
EDIT: Just to mention, I will believe it when there is more evidence than people's oppinion. As the fact they just spent alot of money on it, is enough to sway their views subconciously.
That's why I keep buying more paper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnGnome View Post
You would be better off creating some sort of cooling design to keep the amp cool, than shoving it full of ERS paper, and making it an oven.
That's why I'm using an ICEpower amp, it's cooler than my modem.
post #267 of 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick82 View Post
I'm not listening to the music, I'm listening to my DAC and amp.
I think you're getting your priorities mixed up
post #268 of 376
yeah, you realize patrick that the reason you may not feel the heat, is because its not being dissipated from the components.

Also, just considering how defensive you have gotten, I wouldnt think you could make a unbiased opinion on this product. You dont seem to be thinking very objectively about it.


Also, like walie pointed out. when your listening to the equipment, and not the music, youve forgotten what its about.
post #269 of 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walie View Post
I think you're getting your priorities mixed up
Quoted for the greatest truth there is to people like Patrick.
post #270 of 376
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnGnome View Post
yeah, you realize patrick that the reason you may not feel the heat, is because its not being dissipated from the components.
My amp has always felt like room temperature before and after I put ERS Paper inside it. I don't feel a difference.


Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnGnome View Post
Also, just considering how defensive you have gotten, I wouldnt think you could make a unbiased opinion on this product. You dont seem to be thinking very objectively about it.
If ERS Paper wouldn't make a difference I would remove it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnGnome View Post
Also, like walie pointed out. when your listening to the equipment, and not the music, youve forgotten what its about.
What it's all about is getting better audio. How do you get better audio if you just listen to the music? Using the music to listen to the audio system is the way to go.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum) › ERS Paper - picture and video thread