- 2,920 Posts. Joined 1/2008
- Location: In Your Head
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- AKG or Bose? Last post on 2/10/14 at 3:08am in Headphones (full-size)
- Auditioning headphones in Indiana area Last post on 2/10/12 at 10:35am in Headphones (full-size)
- Question about AKGs... Last post on 12/18/11 at 11:48pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Does anywhere still sell Sennheiser HD590 drivers? Last post on 11/10/11 at 1:34am in Headphones (full-size)
- The HD590's sound better than the K701's am I crazy? Last post on 10/9/11 at 11:08pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
RockJaw is an up and coming headphone company from Great Britain starting strong with a huge lineup. The Alfa Genus is one of their midrange offerings and offers a certain special something that is...
Bought the active noise cancelling version of these as a daily deal on Amazon for <$20. Active noise cancelling completely broken on both my original unit and the replacement - so on one hand...
Thanks to Oppo Digital Japan for allowing us to borrow the PM-1 and HA-1. Oppo coming out with a pair of headphones was quite a surprised, especially a pair of planars. Likewise the HA-1,...
Brainwavs are at it again with their new 10mm dynamic driver based IEM named "S5". I must say I was intrigued to try the new sample and where they'd come from Brainwavs B2 I owned many months...
A decade ago; I had bought into the crappy Logitech Bluetooth devices which I swore NEVER to buy again deeming it a bad technology. Ten years later; I now needed an in wireless in-ear device for...
The Headphone Driver Pics Thread - Page 8post #106 of 3145/24/09 at 4:06pmAn 55 mm orthodynamic driver:
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #107 of 3145/26/09 at 11:13ampost #108 of 3145/31/09 at 1:21pmpost #109 of 3141/5/10 at 3:23ampost #110 of 3141/5/10 at 6:23ampost #111 of 3141/6/10 at 7:21ampost #112 of 3141/6/10 at 12:28pmIt resembles to a Magnifying glass hehe, nice!...
post #113 of 3142/20/10 at 3:38ampost #114 of 31410/20/10 at 12:01pm
This excellent thread deserves wider attention and more contributions. Let me add a rarity: the original 40 mm Sony V7 sapphire evaporated diaphragm, modified with some damping felt:
Note that the sapphire surface of the membrane looks like titanium drivers.
Edited by MDR30 - 10/6/11 at 2:24pmpost #115 of 31410/20/10 at 9:33pmpost #116 of 31410/21/10 at 4:05am
Sennheiser HD590 driver. This often criticised but underrated 1999 headphone, that also had many admirerers though, seemed to be a typical love/hate object. It's not much talked about these days. I think many listeners expected a model to bridge the (admittedly very small) gap between the HD580 (1994) and HD600 (1996) but found something else.
The unusual thing with this driver is the ventilation (and the aluminium voice coil). If you look at the edge of the dome you can se several slits that allow air movement through the diaphragm. I haven't seen this construction anywhere else, except in developed form in the HD800 where the centre part of the dome is completely removed.
Promo copy from Sennheiser:
"SENNHEISER HD590 Prestige Headphones. Top of the range high definition open-back hi-fi stereo headphones. Exceptionally natural, spatial and accurate sound. Large-surface Duofoil diaphragm eliminates standing waves in the capsule. Extremely lightweight 18mm aluminium voice coils ensure highest transient response with excellent linearity, suitable for quality monitoring. Mew sintered damping element for controlling diaphragm oscillation. Computer-optimised neodymium ferrous magnet system minimises harmonic distortion. Single-sided, detachable connecting cable made from kevlar-reinforced OFC copper. Very comfortable to wear due to BioNetic design."
Edited by MDR30 - 10/21/10 at 5:54ampost #117 of 31410/28/10 at 9:37ampost #118 of 31410/31/10 at 2:35pm
HD800 driver coming from the HD590? Wow. A bit of an exaggeration if you ask me, mdr30. But to follow that track - look at the HD565 driver 5-6 posts above. To me it seems to have those ventilation slits as well. And how about the HD580-600-650, anyone got closeups of those?
Cheerspost #119 of 3141/1/11 at 7:09am
- The Headphone Driver Pics Thread
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Does Dolby Headphone virtualize 7.1 or 5.1 ? 39 seconds ago
- › Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Norne Audio (Was: Norse Audio): Feedback & Impression Thread 1 minute ago
- › Light Harmonic Geek Out EM/1000 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014:... 1 minute ago
- › ZMF x Vibro Review, Impressions, & Discussion Thread! 2 minutes ago
- › HiFiMan HE-400 3 minutes ago
- › DigiZoid ZO FS & ZO FS+ (a.k.a. ZO3) Updates & Discussion Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Looking for headphones with angled drivers 5 minutes ago
- › New guy, looking for suggestions sub $250 (Not your standard request) 6 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by hans030390
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by Ishcabible
- › Phiaton PS 20 Half In-Ear Premium Earphone (Glossy Black) by DrikTheTroll
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › ASUS Essence STX II by raymond555
- › iFi Nano iDSD by elmura
- › AKG K267 by Blinxat
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)