- 2,943 Posts. Joined 1/2008
- Location: In Your Head
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- AKG or Bose? Last post on 2/10/14 at 3:08am in Headphones (full-size)
- Auditioning headphones in Indiana area Last post on 2/10/12 at 10:35am in Headphones (full-size)
- Question about AKGs... Last post on 12/18/11 at 11:48pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Does anywhere still sell Sennheiser HD590 drivers? Last post on 11/10/11 at 1:34am in Headphones (full-size)
- The HD590's sound better than the K701's am I crazy? Last post on 10/9/11 at 11:08pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I'd say this is a great set of IEMs for its price if you're looking for that consumer v-shaped sound sig. It's not the most balanced sound sig, but for what it is, it sounds pretty good. The mids...
As of September 2014, the HE-400 has been discontinued, and it's successor, the HE-400i is being sold in its place. So why publish, or even read, a review now? First, there are many used...
DAC OCU(B) 1866 — very interesting portable DAC/amp combo from Russian manufacturer Myst. Things I like: — Nice look. As OCUB is made in small quantities, it uses stock case, but case is fully...
Note: I'm not sure why, but for whatever reason the little bars at the side aren't matching what I put them to. Audio Quality, Design, and Value I all consider to be top notch, with comfort having...
This is a review of Bowers & Wilkins B&W C5 Series 2 (new 2014 version) in-ear premium headphones with in-line remote....
The Headphone Driver Pics Thread - Page 8post #106 of 3155/24/09 at 4:06pmAn 55 mm orthodynamic driver:
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #107 of 3155/26/09 at 11:13ampost #108 of 3155/31/09 at 1:21pmpost #109 of 3151/5/10 at 3:23ampost #110 of 3151/5/10 at 6:23ampost #111 of 3151/6/10 at 7:21ampost #112 of 3151/6/10 at 12:28pmIt resembles to a Magnifying glass hehe, nice!...
post #113 of 3152/20/10 at 3:38ampost #114 of 31510/20/10 at 12:01pm
This excellent thread deserves wider attention and more contributions. Let me add a rarity: the original 40 mm Sony V7 sapphire evaporated diaphragm, modified with some damping felt:
Note that the sapphire surface of the membrane looks like titanium drivers.
Edited by MDR30 - 10/6/11 at 2:24pmpost #115 of 31510/20/10 at 9:33pmpost #116 of 31510/21/10 at 4:05am
Sennheiser HD590 driver. This often criticised but underrated 1999 headphone, that also had many admirerers though, seemed to be a typical love/hate object. It's not much talked about these days. I think many listeners expected a model to bridge the (admittedly very small) gap between the HD580 (1994) and HD600 (1996) but found something else.
The unusual thing with this driver is the ventilation (and the aluminium voice coil). If you look at the edge of the dome you can se several slits that allow air movement through the diaphragm. I haven't seen this construction anywhere else, except in developed form in the HD800 where the centre part of the dome is completely removed.
Promo copy from Sennheiser:
"SENNHEISER HD590 Prestige Headphones. Top of the range high definition open-back hi-fi stereo headphones. Exceptionally natural, spatial and accurate sound. Large-surface Duofoil diaphragm eliminates standing waves in the capsule. Extremely lightweight 18mm aluminium voice coils ensure highest transient response with excellent linearity, suitable for quality monitoring. Mew sintered damping element for controlling diaphragm oscillation. Computer-optimised neodymium ferrous magnet system minimises harmonic distortion. Single-sided, detachable connecting cable made from kevlar-reinforced OFC copper. Very comfortable to wear due to BioNetic design."
Edited by MDR30 - 10/21/10 at 5:54ampost #117 of 31510/28/10 at 9:37ampost #118 of 31510/31/10 at 2:35pm
HD800 driver coming from the HD590? Wow. A bit of an exaggeration if you ask me, mdr30. But to follow that track - look at the HD565 driver 5-6 posts above. To me it seems to have those ventilation slits as well. And how about the HD580-600-650, anyone got closeups of those?
Cheerspost #119 of 3151/1/11 at 7:09am
- The Headphone Driver Pics Thread
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › The Xiaomi Pistons Thread 2.0 44 seconds ago
- › Chord Hugo 46 seconds ago
- › Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread 53 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › FS: Maverick Audio Tubemagic A1 Headphone and Speaker Hybrid Tube... 1 minute ago
- › DAP-off: Astell&Kern AK240, HiFiMAN HM-901, Sony ZX-1, FiiO X5 +... 2 minutes ago
- › Ultimate Sound Fair 2014 Jakarta Indonesia impression and report on... 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 4 minutes ago
- › New 250ohm headphones play without an amp? 5 minutes ago
- › Which Upgrade for Tech Dummy 6 minutes ago
- › Xiaomi Pistons 2.0 MK301 by Midgetguy
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by Rajikaru
- › MyST 1866 by cleg
- › The Enigma by Levaix
- › Bowers & Wilkins C5 S2 In-Ear Headphones, Black by twister6
- › MEElectronics M9-BK Hi-Fi Sound-Isolating Earphones (Black) by lin0003
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by twister6
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by Michaelc136
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Kamakahah
- › Comply Custom Wraps by ClieOS
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)