Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Darkvoice just released 332
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Darkvoice just released 332 - Page 34

post #496 of 1888
Quote:
Originally Posted by AS1 View Post
I was comparing the 336 and 332. No need to exaggerate my 58% point which you shouldn't take that literal.
Remember when the 332 wasn't out yet, you guys were raving about the 336. It's a really nice tube amp.
So now the 332 is here, it's stupid to still buy a 336? Typical tunnel vision of an audio freak. You're not alone. The 336 threads have quickly become very quiet. That says it all. People seem to ignore that the 332 is much more expensive. My point is there are also economical factors you know.

Most will agree an amp is not as important as cans or a dac.
When I compare the dac's headphone out to the Darkvoice, I mainly hear a difference (which I like), not so much better. There is a slight increase in detail quality but you have to look for it.
I suspect the difference can be contributed to the fact I'm comparing an opamp to a tube amp. Comparing tube amps will probably even be harder.
Hell, I did tube rolling. It was a major challenge to find any differences at all!
Maybe my ears aren't trained enough or not good enough. I would consider myself lucky knowing I got equipment which matches my ears' capability.

The last thing I will upgrade now is the amp. I'm sure the 332 will be better, no argument. But it can never be much better this, much better that. That's just illusional.

This is an audiophile forum, so it's only natural we'll rave about possible gain in sound quality. Isn't that the way it's always been? Spend big bucks for little improvement. If you're not interested, then you're lucky. Otherwise we'll continue our quest. Now if only that wallet wouldn't deflate so quickly...
post #497 of 1888
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokensound View Post
This is an audiophile forum, so it's only natural we'll rave about possible gain in sound quality. Isn't that the way it's always been? Spend big bucks for little improvement. If you're not interested, then you're lucky. Otherwise we'll continue our quest. Now if only that wallet wouldn't deflate so quickly...
I respect an audiophile's motives. I expect an audiophile will also understand people who aren't lost (yet).
Or is this an audiophile-only forum?
post #498 of 1888
I have the MF DAv V2 with the DV 332 on Mullards + Chinese "upgraded" big tubes w/ lol SPORTAPROS!!

IT SOUNDS GOOD!!

funny too. Reminds me a bit of the HF-1s.

BTW I got a shipment of Sylvania (I think, pretty sure anyway) big tubes coming in later this month if anyone needs a pair.
post #499 of 1888
Is that a SYLVANIA equivalent for the 6S19P-Bs? The closest I ever came was a bunch of GE voltage stablising tubes - the 7233, the A2293 and the CV4079 - but the pin connections are slightly different.
post #500 of 1888
Quote:
Originally Posted by AS1 View Post
Most will agree an amp is not as important as cans or a dac.
When I compare the dac's headphone out to the Darkvoice, I mainly hear a difference (which I like), not so much better. There is a slight increase in detail quality but you have to look for it.
I suspect the difference can be contributed to the fact I'm comparing an opamp to a tube amp. Comparing tube amps will probably even be harder.
Hell, I did tube rolling. It was a major challenge to find any differences at all!
Maybe my ears aren't trained enough or not good enough. I would consider myself lucky knowing I got equipment which matches my ears' capability.
Actually amp ranks next to source in its importance, IMO (I guess you have never heard B52 driving KSC75 before ....to the uninitiated, that's a $5500 amp driving a $15 headphone

On the tube rolling issue, I envy your tin ear because every time I roll the rube, the differences are profound. Of course rest of my systems are fairly up to snuff to allow me to hear the differences.

336 vs 332 was no comparison IMO - I was using K701; I spent at least 4 hours by myself, in a closed room with my own music when I tried to decide which one I want. 332 is clearly a level better than 336, ie many many veils lifted
post #501 of 1888
Yes. The 332 is on another level compared to most amps. The only one I have heard which rivals it is the SQ-84 which is a 34 lb monster of an amp.
post #502 of 1888

Tubes Available?

Impressed by the all the rave reviews of this amp, I just ordered the DV 332... and... I'm now shopping for tubes.

Does anyone have any of the tubes recommended in this thread for sale?

If so, please PM me with the types and prices.

Thanks,
GF2
post #503 of 1888
Hi 332 owners!

I'm eagerly awaiting my 332, i've ordered through ebay after reading through this thread and being impressed with all i've heard. I contacted a seller and i am going to be sent a sexy white amp! I think it was Godkin who posted the pics from the factory showing them, and i fell in love, hopefully it will look the part next to my silver cambridge azur.

I'll be impatiently listening out for the gravel crunch of the delivery bloke coming up the drive way, can't wait to see what this beast can do. Better go tube shopping.

Dub
post #504 of 1888

Mullard 8100

@godkin......please what ist the different from Mullard M8100 to 8100S.....we found in ebay the Mullard M8100....many thanks for you Feedback....best wishes Wolfgang
post #505 of 1888
Quote:
Originally Posted by chesebert View Post
On the tube rolling issue, I envy your tin ear because every time I roll the rube, the differences are profound. Of course rest of my systems are fairly up to snuff to allow me to hear the differences.
Yeah but I judged too soon. Meanwhile I do hear significant differences:
burn-in before you start tube rolling!
post #506 of 1888
Wildthing, haven't heard of the M8100S, but the "S" designation usually denotes a special variety of the valve. Whether this is the case with the M8100s, I don't know - considering the M8100 is a special, military grade type of the EF95.

A "white" 332, now that's "sexy".
post #507 of 1888
Hi Godkin........thank you for information!!!.....but we have a problem to buy of the tubes....i want the configuration of you.....the Mullard M8100S and the Svetlana !!!......can you sold for the tubes for me!!!.....many thanks and best wishes Wolfgang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godkin View Post
Wildthing, haven't heard of the M8100S, but the "S" designation usually denotes a special variety of the valve. Whether this is the case with the M8100s, I don't know - considering the M8100 is a special, military grade type of the EF95.

A "white" 332, now that's "sexy".
post #508 of 1888
Wildthing, unfortunately I don't have any of the SVETLANAs left - I've sold them all to other 332 owners. There seems to be a shortage of them - I haven't seen them on E-Bay for a while. Plenty of the ULYANOVSKs though. They're excellent tubes, so go for them. Then if you see any of the SVETLANAs, snap them up. Good luck.
post #509 of 1888

Phony Svetlana's...

Beware... several vendors on eBay are attempting to sell Voskhod, Ulyanovsk and other tubes as Svetlana's - watch the logos carefully, and always confirm that the tubes you are about to buy have the Svetlana logos.

I even had one confess, he hadn't looked at the tubes to check their logos - he just put them up, assuming they were Svetlanas.

Caveat Emptor...
post #510 of 1888
I'm in the market for tubes if anyone has any they want to get rid of. Everything considered, particularly interested in some Ulyanovsks, if i remeber correctly somebody said they have great seperation. I'm trying to pick apart some recordings at the moment, might help.

Dub
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Darkvoice just released 332