Thanks Joseph, i've since read an article on Innerfidelity which pretty much summed up the L type sounds the best too. Your spot on in that they currently have the S type pads (80i) so i'll see what other pads i can get my hands on and try them out. For the moment taking a break every hour to allow the blood to recirculate is doing the trick, and now that i have a few more hours listening time under my belt i have come to the conclusion that they are keepers. I understand why people rave about these, but i dont get what people mean by "That Grado sound", they just sound honest to me, and what a bargain they were too. I guess the JVC's are officially retired from general purpose use, the Grados can take pride and place on my cabinet door next to my Sennheisers
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Best grados under 300$ Last post on 11/9/10 at 1:56pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado SR325i's Last post on 3/25/12 at 4:19am in Headphones (full-size)
- Which albums sound best with your Grado? Last post on 7/1/15 at 4:21pm in Headphones (full-size)
- grado hole venting Last post on 10/17/11 at 7:50pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado SR80i vs. 125i Last post on 10/20/11 at 3:57am in Headphones (full-size)
Grado Modification Overview
Last edited: 9/27/11
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I have covered Tube Amp’s portable amps in the past (here and here). While the company is called ‘Tube Amp’, they don’t limit themselves to only tube amp, but also discrete amp. The FL-15 however...
So, first off, I must say that for 200 dollars (or 170, in my case, for a unit that was previously a store-display model), you CANNOT go wrong with this superb little DAP. The soundstage and...
I bought a pair of these for a real steal (used, for 70 bucks, on Amazon) earlier this month and I am LOVING them more than almost any other purchase I've made in my life. They sound amazing. ....
This is my second round with these "holy grail" of headphones. First time around I was just laughing at it's meager power capability. The sound was good, but not mind blowing. Zero sub bass...
First of all, I’d like to thank iBasso for sending me a review sample of the D14. iBasso have really established themselves as a big name in portable audio devices and after reviewing both their...
Grado SR80 Impressions thread! - Page 21post #301 of 5208/12/13 at 7:18pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #302 of 5208/12/13 at 7:20pmpost #303 of 5208/15/13 at 1:32am
I've owned a pair for over ten years, now. I absolutely love them! I bought them second hand off eBay for $50. They are still like new. They really sound better with age, in my opinion. It takes some serious burn-in time to get them to their best state. I own a pile of cans but these are always nearby. I can't imagine a better deal in the hifi world! You can spend a fortune trying to best them.post #304 of 5208/15/13 at 1:35ampost #305 of 5208/20/13 at 8:50amQuote:
This is just unfathomable to me...these headphones are super light with very little clamp at all. I can't understand for the life of me why your circulation would be getting cut off. I can understand that some find the pads a bit scratchy, but this is easily remedied by running them through with the laundry a time or two. But cutting off the circulation?post #306 of 5208/20/13 at 1:24pm
I first got interested in "nice" headphones last September before a family trip to California. I ended up buying a set of SR60is, and I loved them.
Well, come Christmas, I end up getting a set of SR80is. I was ecstatic until I plugged them in. They seemed to be very harsh and they had no bass. However, I made the transition to wearing the 80is daily instead of the 60is , and, over time, the the 80is mellowed out and the bass got much better.
Sometime last winter, I punched two holes per side in the dampening foam behind the drivers. I like the extra bass that this gives, but I also feel as if they lost just a little bit of precision. Still, I think it was worth it.
Now, after almost eight full months of daily use, I think I prefer the 80is to the 60is. Be warned, though, these headphones do require a lot of time to break in. I broke mine in only with normal use, and the sound evolved over several weeks. It changed from what, at first, seemed harsh and bass-less to a far more pleasant tone, with good, punchy bass and, bright, but not harsh, highs.
Love these 'phones, and I can't wait to build an amp for them. I agree with everyone else in the thread, they're just fun.
Edited by Eta power - 8/20/13 at 1:25pmpost #307 of 52010/18/13 at 9:57pm
Just got a set of SR80's (non-i) off eBay the other day for under $70...damn are they good! First Grados for me and I'm already a big fan. I don't find them as uncomfortable as I had anticipated and the noise leak wasn't annoying (to me) at all.post #308 of 52010/19/13 at 4:15amQuote:
Congrats, and welcome aboard the Grado train :-)post #309 of 52010/19/13 at 6:50amQuote:
Congratulations, the 80's are an awesome headphone, enjoy!!!post #310 of 52010/22/13 at 12:00ampost #311 of 52011/2/13 at 7:59pmpost #312 of 52011/2/13 at 8:03pmpost #313 of 52011/2/13 at 8:27pm
Hey thanks! My only quibble would be that the build quality could be better. Surprisingly they sound really good right out of the box. I'm sure things will sound even better as they burn in
3 hours later and I'm still loving them! These are keepers for surepost #314 of 52011/2/13 at 8:46pmpost #315 of 52011/2/13 at 8:56pm
- Grado SR80 Impressions thread!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Music Game IX 13 seconds ago
- › Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread 16 seconds ago
- › WTB: R2A 44 seconds ago
- › Best DAC/Amp for Fidelio X2? 2 minutes ago
- › DAP Challenge Chart (Including 21 Portable Sources, Fiio X5 2nd Gen... 2 minutes ago
- › Ocharaku Flat4-Kuro (玄) appreciation thread 2 minutes ago
- › bedroom/homework setup 3 minutes ago
- › iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions,... 4 minutes ago
- › "The Lab" 5 minutes ago
- › $250 CAD budget on new phones, thoughts, ideas?? 5 minutes ago
- › Tube Amp LF-15 by ClieOS
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by goodyfresh
- › V-MODA Crossfade M-80 by goodyfresh
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by snellemin
- › iBasso Audio D14 "Bushmaster" by lin0003
- › Bette 10MM 1+1 Hybrid Wood Black by BloodyPenguin
- › Master & Dynamic MH40 by sk2290
- › Fidue A73 Hybrid Monitor Earphones with universal single button... by wrathzombie
- › RHA T20 by Wyd4
- › Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon by Stillhart
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3