Thanks Joseph, i've since read an article on Innerfidelity which pretty much summed up the L type sounds the best too. Your spot on in that they currently have the S type pads (80i) so i'll see what other pads i can get my hands on and try them out. For the moment taking a break every hour to allow the blood to recirculate is doing the trick, and now that i have a few more hours listening time under my belt i have come to the conclusion that they are keepers. I understand why people rave about these, but i dont get what people mean by "That Grado sound", they just sound honest to me, and what a bargain they were too. I guess the JVC's are officially retired from general purpose use, the Grados can take pride and place on my cabinet door next to my Sennheisers
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Best grados under 300$ Last post on 11/9/10 at 1:56pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado SR325i's Last post on 3/25/12 at 4:19am in Headphones (full-size)
- Which albums sound best with your Grado? Last post on 9/24/14 at 8:30pm in Headphones (full-size)
- grado hole venting Last post on 10/17/11 at 7:50pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado SR80i vs. 125i Last post on 10/20/11 at 3:57am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 7/25/14
- Grado Modification OverviewLast edited: 9/27/11
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Since I was among the early adopters of this updated 2.0 version of R3, I already posted a detailed review with pictures in the original R3 review thread. Therefore, I'm just going to provide a...
Im probably like you right now, I was once reading reviews a bunch of comments, watching a bunch of videos of what to purchase... and everyone kept suggesting the ATH-M50x, so in a frantic search...
First I'd like to thank Brainwavz for the opportunity to review these. As others did, I received a review pair to keep. It was a very generous gesture. Plenty of people have already posted all the...
Comply foam tip should need no introduction at this point, as it has become a norm for many brand name IEM to include a pair of them. But what we are talking here is something new – or should I say...
This is a review of Bowers & Wilkins P5 Series 2 (updated 2014 version!!!) on-ear premium portable headphones. ...
Grado SR80 Impressions thread! - Page 21post #301 of 4258/12/13 at 7:18pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #302 of 4258/12/13 at 7:20pmpost #303 of 4258/15/13 at 1:32am
I've owned a pair for over ten years, now. I absolutely love them! I bought them second hand off eBay for $50. They are still like new. They really sound better with age, in my opinion. It takes some serious burn-in time to get them to their best state. I own a pile of cans but these are always nearby. I can't imagine a better deal in the hifi world! You can spend a fortune trying to best them.post #304 of 4258/15/13 at 1:35ampost #305 of 4258/20/13 at 8:50amQuote:
This is just unfathomable to me...these headphones are super light with very little clamp at all. I can't understand for the life of me why your circulation would be getting cut off. I can understand that some find the pads a bit scratchy, but this is easily remedied by running them through with the laundry a time or two. But cutting off the circulation?post #306 of 4258/20/13 at 1:24pm
I first got interested in "nice" headphones last September before a family trip to California. I ended up buying a set of SR60is, and I loved them.
Well, come Christmas, I end up getting a set of SR80is. I was ecstatic until I plugged them in. They seemed to be very harsh and they had no bass. However, I made the transition to wearing the 80is daily instead of the 60is , and, over time, the the 80is mellowed out and the bass got much better.
Sometime last winter, I punched two holes per side in the dampening foam behind the drivers. I like the extra bass that this gives, but I also feel as if they lost just a little bit of precision. Still, I think it was worth it.
Now, after almost eight full months of daily use, I think I prefer the 80is to the 60is. Be warned, though, these headphones do require a lot of time to break in. I broke mine in only with normal use, and the sound evolved over several weeks. It changed from what, at first, seemed harsh and bass-less to a far more pleasant tone, with good, punchy bass and, bright, but not harsh, highs.
Love these 'phones, and I can't wait to build an amp for them. I agree with everyone else in the thread, they're just fun.
Edited by Eta power - 8/20/13 at 1:25pmpost #307 of 42510/18/13 at 9:57pm
Just got a set of SR80's (non-i) off eBay the other day for under $70...damn are they good! First Grados for me and I'm already a big fan. I don't find them as uncomfortable as I had anticipated and the noise leak wasn't annoying (to me) at all.post #308 of 42510/19/13 at 4:15amQuote:
Congrats, and welcome aboard the Grado train :-)post #309 of 42510/19/13 at 6:50amQuote:
Congratulations, the 80's are an awesome headphone, enjoy!!!post #310 of 42510/22/13 at 12:00ampost #311 of 42511/2/13 at 7:59pmpost #312 of 42511/2/13 at 8:03pmpost #313 of 42511/2/13 at 8:27pm
Hey thanks! My only quibble would be that the build quality could be better. Surprisingly they sound really good right out of the box. I'm sure things will sound even better as they burn in
3 hours later and I'm still loving them! These are keepers for surepost #314 of 42511/2/13 at 8:46pmpost #315 of 42511/2/13 at 8:56pm
- Grado SR80 Impressions thread!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Grado Modification Overview
- › looking for home-use headphones 5 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 6 minutes ago
- › FiiO X1, the new start of the high-res DAP with individual DAC and... 8 minutes ago
- › New from Garage1217, the solid-state Project Polaris! 9 minutes ago
- › CEntrance DACmini DAC/Amplifier Official Thread 9 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 9 minutes ago
- › Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening. 10 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 12 minutes ago
- › VSonic VSD1/VSD1S Reviews/Impression Thread 13 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 14 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by twister6
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by Michaelc136
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Kamakahah
- › Comply Custom Wraps by ClieOS
- › Bowers & Wilkins P5 Mobile Headphones by twister6
- › FiiO E17 by DwightLooi
- › FIDUE A81 In-Ear Noise Isolating Earphones Heaphones with High-End... by Brooko
- › Audeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphones by monitorlove
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by ballbarn
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M40x Professional Headphones by Sonic Defender
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)