Just got the SR80i as I wanted to get an idea of what Grados sound like. And as I've read, they are in fact "harsher" than my Sennheisers but I'm still very impressed!
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Best grados under 300$ Last post on 11/9/10 at 1:56pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado SR325i's Last post on 3/25/12 at 4:19am in Headphones (full-size)
- Which albums sound best with your Grado? Last post on 1/7/16 at 6:48pm in Headphones (full-size)
- grado hole venting Last post on 10/17/11 at 7:50pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado SR80i vs. 125i Last post on 10/20/11 at 3:57am in Headphones (full-size)
Grado Modification Overview
Last edited: 9/27/11
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Ok I have been using a pair of these for several years. I logged on because there are way too many positive reviews of these things. Firstly: everything I mix on these is significantly...
Never thought this day would come but I guess blunders are inevitable. There is no denying the Beyerdynamic T5p is one attractive looking Headphone, I think it's among the most beautiful and...
I didn't have much expectations when i ordered this headphone from GearBest back in january 2016..it took around 3 weeks to arrive and the packaging was simple. The moment i unpacked the box i got...
Note: I bought the Trinity Phantom Sabre in the pre-order period for ~75€. The Value rating is based on the full retail price of around 150€. Manufacturer website:...
Bluedio Vinyl Plus Bluetooth Headphone Quick Review by mark2410 Thanks to Bluedio for the sample. Full review...
Grado SR80 Impressions thread! - Page 19post #271 of 5342/6/12 at 5:22am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #272 of 5347/12/12 at 5:10pmpost #273 of 5347/12/12 at 8:51pm
I have the SR80i, and i believe that these are,i,one,if not THE,best buy headphones out there,just for fun,i've even compared them to my PS1000 and was surprised at how well they held their own,especially when you consider that for the price of the PS1000 you can buy about twelve pairs of SR80i,and when you take price into account,i'm more impressed with my SR80i,than i am with my PS1000,talk about a ''no brainer''!
Edited by stacker45 - 7/12/12 at 9:46pmpost #274 of 5347/12/12 at 9:20pmQuote:Originally Posted by stacker45
I have the SR80i, and i believe that these are,i believe,one,if not THE,best buy headphones out there,just for fun,i've even compared them to my PS1000 and was surprised at how well they held their own,especially when you consider that for the price of the PS1000 you can buy about twelve pairs of SR80i,and when you take price into account,i'm more impressed with my SR80i,than i am with my PS1000,talk about a ''no brainer''!
Couldn't agree more. The SR80i are an amazing value, I love their punchy and speedy bass.post #275 of 5347/26/12 at 10:06pm
Wow, another Grado thread that I missed! I'll just say that the 80s are the headphone that changed my audio life. My approach was to buy a bunch of the name brand under $100 headphones that I had read most about, and then when I found one I liked I'd move up into a higher end option from that company. Well I was absolutely blown away by the 80s. That open, airy sound and all that detail really spoke to me, and it sent me along my Grado path. Even though I've moved up to the PS500s (and loving the bejeezus out of 'em), the 80s still get regular use and will forever be part of my little collection. I had no idea I could find a pair of headphones that appealed to me this much for such little money. Grados aren't for everyone, of course, but I firmly believe that EVERYONE should try them at least once....cause if they ARE for you, you're enjoy your music like never before.post #276 of 5347/26/12 at 10:08pmpost #277 of 5347/27/12 at 7:46am
I picked a pair of these up on Tuesday, so far I couldn’t be more happy with the purchase. I was debating going with a higher end model of Grado, but since I have never heard the Grado sound before I wasn’t sure it was for me. If I continue to like these as well as I do now, I am sure there will be more Grado's to follow.post #278 of 5347/27/12 at 8:10am
I bought my SR80i's this week. Excellent for music! Gaming? AD700 is superior due to the sound stage, the SR80i's just can't do it for gaming. Other than that, The AD700's cable is about 3x longer... which suits my desk. I really need a decent quality 1/4" jack splitter now :\post #279 of 5347/27/12 at 9:40amQuote:Originally Posted by asmoday
I picked a pair of these up on Tuesday, so far I couldn’t be more happy with the purchase. I was debating going with a higher end model of Grado, but since I have never heard the Grado sound before I wasn’t sure it was for me. If I continue to like these as well as I do now, I am sure there will be more Grado's to follow.
IMO, that's a great way to start....that way it gives you a nice taste of the Grado sound and they're good enough that you can keep them around even after you upgrade.post #280 of 5347/27/12 at 9:43amQuote:Originally Posted by Linkin
I bought my SR80i's this week. Excellent for music! Gaming? AD700 is superior due to the sound stage, the SR80i's just can't do it for gaming. Other than that, The AD700's cable is about 3x longer... which suits my desk. I really need a decent quality 1/4" jack splitter now :\
If you ever decide to move up the Grado line, check out some of the recent posts by Obobskovich...he is a big gamer and recently discovered how well his RS-1s work with gaming because of the imaging and 3-D sound stage. That's one of the things you'll find is improved as you go up the line. For $99, though, the 80s get a whole lot right and I'm glad you're enjoying them with music :)post #281 of 5347/27/12 at 9:58amQuote:
I am thinking when I upgrade I will probably dedicate these to my "house" portable rig and upgrade to something better for my main listening station. I like to read on the porch, in bed, or the easy chair and all of these places are to far from the main listening station so I use either my laptop, iphone, or ipad for this purpose. I have tried these 80's out and they seem to respond well to these 3 things. So I think when the time comes for a upgrade thats what these will be regulated to.post #282 of 5347/27/12 at 10:18am
I did the full vent mod on my 80i. I removed the "loin" cloth and vented all ten holes on the driver. The button is now glued with plastic cement (like for models) which melts the plastic to form a weld. So I just put a round self adhesive felt button behind it for a little damping.
The "i" series now have the same size air chamber as the current Allessandro series.
The 80i cable has 4 conductors now, so I don't see the need for a cable replacement.
I did not do the "quarter" mod as the venting noticably stepped up the base and treble. Leaving the pads stock helped to reduce the sizzle that the venting did. SO, the venting actually takes them, to me, a little too far, and them you can reel them back to taste.
I did the same mods on a SR60i with similar results. If you have access to Metallica's "Enter Sandman" to test them after the mods are done don't turn it up too high at first......................post #283 of 5347/27/12 at 11:02ampost #284 of 5347/27/12 at 3:08pm
- Grado SR80 Impressions thread!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Westone UM3X Thread 20 seconds ago
- › Three Word Story 1 minute ago
- › Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic... 1 minute ago
- › Help! My new dac/headphone amp is not outputting any sound! 2 minutes ago
- › Best Smartphone for audiophile 3 minutes ago
- › Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz) 3 minutes ago
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 6 minutes ago
- › 6922 Tube Review - 17 Top 6922 6N23P E88CC CCa 7308 E188CC tubes 6 minutes ago
- › Cowon Plenue D 6 minutes ago
- › FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi |... 6 minutes ago
- › Shure SRH840 by haroldtheboss
- › Beyerdynamic T5p by MrTechAgent
- › Xiaomi Piston Colorful Starter Edition by aNtzE
- › Trinity Audio Engineering - PHANTOM SABRE by FUYU
- › Bluedio Vinyl Plus Luxury Wireless Bluetooth Headphones(Black) by mark2410
- › 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone and... by ostewart
- › Philips Fidelio S2 by Jemuillot
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by ryanjsoo
- › Cambridge Audio Azur DacMagic Plus by hankaberle
- › Accutone Pavo by Cinder
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...