Just got the SR80i as I wanted to get an idea of what Grados sound like. And as I've read, they are in fact "harsher" than my Sennheisers but I'm still very impressed!
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Best grados under 300$ Last post on 11/9/10 at 1:56pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado SR325i's Last post on 3/25/12 at 4:19am in Headphones (full-size)
- Which albums sound best with your Grado? Last post on 7/1/15 at 4:21pm in Headphones (full-size)
- grado hole venting Last post on 10/17/11 at 7:50pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado SR80i vs. 125i Last post on 10/20/11 at 3:57am in Headphones (full-size)
Grado Modification Overview
Last edited: 9/27/11
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Lumia 640 LTE I never owned a portable device (apart from a Sony Walkman in the 80's) because I never felt the use of it. Just out of curiosity, not expecting much, I plugged my Sony MDR-Z7 in my...
MEElectronics/MEEaudio Introduction My experience with IEMs is short lived, but I've had fair enough experience to give you proper detailing. I mainly use detachable only, and can report from...
Introduction In audio circles, the word "endgame" generally refers to a headphone or audio chain component that is practically without fault, and performs at a high enough level to...
Would never dreamed of buying a pair of Beats but end up finding a pair for a rock bottom price(1/3 of the normal retail) so I thought what the heck. Just a side note, since they were...
The Final Audio Design (FAD) Heaven VII was sent to me by Final UK as a part of the European review tour. I’d like to give them a big THANK YOU for including me on the tour and giving me a chance...
Grado SR80 Impressions thread! - Page 19post #271 of 5202/6/12 at 5:22am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #272 of 5207/12/12 at 5:10pmpost #273 of 5207/12/12 at 8:51pm
I have the SR80i, and i believe that these are,i,one,if not THE,best buy headphones out there,just for fun,i've even compared them to my PS1000 and was surprised at how well they held their own,especially when you consider that for the price of the PS1000 you can buy about twelve pairs of SR80i,and when you take price into account,i'm more impressed with my SR80i,than i am with my PS1000,talk about a ''no brainer''!
Edited by stacker45 - 7/12/12 at 9:46pmpost #274 of 5207/12/12 at 9:20pmQuote:Originally Posted by stacker45
I have the SR80i, and i believe that these are,i believe,one,if not THE,best buy headphones out there,just for fun,i've even compared them to my PS1000 and was surprised at how well they held their own,especially when you consider that for the price of the PS1000 you can buy about twelve pairs of SR80i,and when you take price into account,i'm more impressed with my SR80i,than i am with my PS1000,talk about a ''no brainer''!
Couldn't agree more. The SR80i are an amazing value, I love their punchy and speedy bass.post #275 of 5207/26/12 at 10:06pm
Wow, another Grado thread that I missed! I'll just say that the 80s are the headphone that changed my audio life. My approach was to buy a bunch of the name brand under $100 headphones that I had read most about, and then when I found one I liked I'd move up into a higher end option from that company. Well I was absolutely blown away by the 80s. That open, airy sound and all that detail really spoke to me, and it sent me along my Grado path. Even though I've moved up to the PS500s (and loving the bejeezus out of 'em), the 80s still get regular use and will forever be part of my little collection. I had no idea I could find a pair of headphones that appealed to me this much for such little money. Grados aren't for everyone, of course, but I firmly believe that EVERYONE should try them at least once....cause if they ARE for you, you're enjoy your music like never before.post #276 of 5207/26/12 at 10:08pmpost #277 of 5207/27/12 at 7:46am
I picked a pair of these up on Tuesday, so far I couldn’t be more happy with the purchase. I was debating going with a higher end model of Grado, but since I have never heard the Grado sound before I wasn’t sure it was for me. If I continue to like these as well as I do now, I am sure there will be more Grado's to follow.post #278 of 5207/27/12 at 8:10am
I bought my SR80i's this week. Excellent for music! Gaming? AD700 is superior due to the sound stage, the SR80i's just can't do it for gaming. Other than that, The AD700's cable is about 3x longer... which suits my desk. I really need a decent quality 1/4" jack splitter now :\post #279 of 5207/27/12 at 9:40amQuote:Originally Posted by asmoday
I picked a pair of these up on Tuesday, so far I couldn’t be more happy with the purchase. I was debating going with a higher end model of Grado, but since I have never heard the Grado sound before I wasn’t sure it was for me. If I continue to like these as well as I do now, I am sure there will be more Grado's to follow.
IMO, that's a great way to start....that way it gives you a nice taste of the Grado sound and they're good enough that you can keep them around even after you upgrade.post #280 of 5207/27/12 at 9:43amQuote:Originally Posted by Linkin
I bought my SR80i's this week. Excellent for music! Gaming? AD700 is superior due to the sound stage, the SR80i's just can't do it for gaming. Other than that, The AD700's cable is about 3x longer... which suits my desk. I really need a decent quality 1/4" jack splitter now :\
If you ever decide to move up the Grado line, check out some of the recent posts by Obobskovich...he is a big gamer and recently discovered how well his RS-1s work with gaming because of the imaging and 3-D sound stage. That's one of the things you'll find is improved as you go up the line. For $99, though, the 80s get a whole lot right and I'm glad you're enjoying them with music :)post #281 of 5207/27/12 at 9:58amQuote:
I am thinking when I upgrade I will probably dedicate these to my "house" portable rig and upgrade to something better for my main listening station. I like to read on the porch, in bed, or the easy chair and all of these places are to far from the main listening station so I use either my laptop, iphone, or ipad for this purpose. I have tried these 80's out and they seem to respond well to these 3 things. So I think when the time comes for a upgrade thats what these will be regulated to.post #282 of 5207/27/12 at 10:18am
I did the full vent mod on my 80i. I removed the "loin" cloth and vented all ten holes on the driver. The button is now glued with plastic cement (like for models) which melts the plastic to form a weld. So I just put a round self adhesive felt button behind it for a little damping.
The "i" series now have the same size air chamber as the current Allessandro series.
The 80i cable has 4 conductors now, so I don't see the need for a cable replacement.
I did not do the "quarter" mod as the venting noticably stepped up the base and treble. Leaving the pads stock helped to reduce the sizzle that the venting did. SO, the venting actually takes them, to me, a little too far, and them you can reel them back to taste.
I did the same mods on a SR60i with similar results. If you have access to Metallica's "Enter Sandman" to test them after the mods are done don't turn it up too high at first......................post #283 of 5207/27/12 at 11:02ampost #284 of 5207/27/12 at 3:08pm
- Grado SR80 Impressions thread!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread 20 seconds ago
- › InEarZ (Fisher Hearing) Custom Remold Owner's Thread 44 seconds ago
- › D.C. Area Meet (Sunday, August 30, 2015) - part of CanMania @... 1 minute ago
- › Best classical recordings...ever! 1 minute ago
- › ***NEW*** Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp??? 3 minutes ago
- › Still prefer Soul/Beats over M50's, M100, X2, DT1350, HD650... 3 minutes ago
- › Official Free FLAC File Music Sharing Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Some People Remember How Equipment Sounds! 5 minutes ago
- › WTH? no posting option in the other forums? 5 minutes ago
- › Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign 5 minutes ago
- › VE Zen by Hisoundfi
- › Lumia 640 LTE RM-1072 Black - Factory Unlocked - International... by Mink
- › MEElectronics M6 PRO Universal-Fit Noise-Isolating Musician’s... by whitemass
- › Aurisonics Rockets Solo Precision Micro-Dynamic Noise Isolating... by eke2k6
- › Beats Solo HD On-Ear Headphone by Skylarke
- › Heaven VII by peter123
- › Noble Audio BTS by HiFiChris
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by Cagin
- › Philips Fidelio L2 by White Lotus
- › Etymotic ER-4P Portable In-Ear Earphones by ElMarcado
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3