Just got the SR80i as I wanted to get an idea of what Grados sound like. And as I've read, they are in fact "harsher" than my Sennheisers but I'm still very impressed!
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Best grados under 300$ Last post on 11/9/10 at 1:56pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado SR325i's Last post on 3/25/12 at 4:19am in Headphones (full-size)
- Which albums sound best with your Grado? Last post on 11/27/14 at 5:15pm in Headphones (full-size)
- grado hole venting Last post on 10/17/11 at 7:50pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado SR80i vs. 125i Last post on 10/20/11 at 3:57am in Headphones (full-size)
Grado Modification Overview
Last edited: 9/27/11
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Looking at the picture of the PK3's I wasn't expecting much. They look and feel cheap using a generic case for the drivers. First I tried them without the foam covers and they sounded awful. I...
Disclaimer First of all, I would like to thank Audrey and the Brainwavz team for allowing me to review their S1 IEMs. I would also like to clarify that I am neither an affiliate of Brainwavz...
Overview The Alien is a well-priced (~$250 AUD), compact, screenless player that plays only WAV and FLAC files – no MP3, no AAC, just the two major lossless options. For some people that will...
Shure SRH840, are a value filled set of extraordinary headphones, worth every single coin you spend on it. The bass register is perfect for any genre of song you play through you...
I got the Sennheiser HD-598 based on all the existing rave reviews. It's amazingly comfortable. That's all the good I can say about it. I just hate the sound. Okay, I am no "audiophile". I am...
Grado SR80 Impressions thread! - Page 19post #271 of 4752/6/12 at 5:22am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #272 of 4757/12/12 at 5:10pmpost #273 of 4757/12/12 at 8:51pm
I have the SR80i, and i believe that these are,i,one,if not THE,best buy headphones out there,just for fun,i've even compared them to my PS1000 and was surprised at how well they held their own,especially when you consider that for the price of the PS1000 you can buy about twelve pairs of SR80i,and when you take price into account,i'm more impressed with my SR80i,than i am with my PS1000,talk about a ''no brainer''!
Edited by stacker45 - 7/12/12 at 9:46pmpost #274 of 4757/12/12 at 9:20pmQuote:Originally Posted by stacker45
I have the SR80i, and i believe that these are,i believe,one,if not THE,best buy headphones out there,just for fun,i've even compared them to my PS1000 and was surprised at how well they held their own,especially when you consider that for the price of the PS1000 you can buy about twelve pairs of SR80i,and when you take price into account,i'm more impressed with my SR80i,than i am with my PS1000,talk about a ''no brainer''!
Couldn't agree more. The SR80i are an amazing value, I love their punchy and speedy bass.post #275 of 4757/26/12 at 10:06pm
Wow, another Grado thread that I missed! I'll just say that the 80s are the headphone that changed my audio life. My approach was to buy a bunch of the name brand under $100 headphones that I had read most about, and then when I found one I liked I'd move up into a higher end option from that company. Well I was absolutely blown away by the 80s. That open, airy sound and all that detail really spoke to me, and it sent me along my Grado path. Even though I've moved up to the PS500s (and loving the bejeezus out of 'em), the 80s still get regular use and will forever be part of my little collection. I had no idea I could find a pair of headphones that appealed to me this much for such little money. Grados aren't for everyone, of course, but I firmly believe that EVERYONE should try them at least once....cause if they ARE for you, you're enjoy your music like never before.post #276 of 4757/26/12 at 10:08pmpost #277 of 4757/27/12 at 7:46am
I picked a pair of these up on Tuesday, so far I couldn’t be more happy with the purchase. I was debating going with a higher end model of Grado, but since I have never heard the Grado sound before I wasn’t sure it was for me. If I continue to like these as well as I do now, I am sure there will be more Grado's to follow.post #278 of 4757/27/12 at 8:10am
I bought my SR80i's this week. Excellent for music! Gaming? AD700 is superior due to the sound stage, the SR80i's just can't do it for gaming. Other than that, The AD700's cable is about 3x longer... which suits my desk. I really need a decent quality 1/4" jack splitter now :\post #279 of 4757/27/12 at 9:40amQuote:Originally Posted by asmoday
I picked a pair of these up on Tuesday, so far I couldn’t be more happy with the purchase. I was debating going with a higher end model of Grado, but since I have never heard the Grado sound before I wasn’t sure it was for me. If I continue to like these as well as I do now, I am sure there will be more Grado's to follow.
IMO, that's a great way to start....that way it gives you a nice taste of the Grado sound and they're good enough that you can keep them around even after you upgrade.post #280 of 4757/27/12 at 9:43amQuote:Originally Posted by Linkin
I bought my SR80i's this week. Excellent for music! Gaming? AD700 is superior due to the sound stage, the SR80i's just can't do it for gaming. Other than that, The AD700's cable is about 3x longer... which suits my desk. I really need a decent quality 1/4" jack splitter now :\
If you ever decide to move up the Grado line, check out some of the recent posts by Obobskovich...he is a big gamer and recently discovered how well his RS-1s work with gaming because of the imaging and 3-D sound stage. That's one of the things you'll find is improved as you go up the line. For $99, though, the 80s get a whole lot right and I'm glad you're enjoying them with music :)post #281 of 4757/27/12 at 9:58amQuote:
I am thinking when I upgrade I will probably dedicate these to my "house" portable rig and upgrade to something better for my main listening station. I like to read on the porch, in bed, or the easy chair and all of these places are to far from the main listening station so I use either my laptop, iphone, or ipad for this purpose. I have tried these 80's out and they seem to respond well to these 3 things. So I think when the time comes for a upgrade thats what these will be regulated to.post #282 of 4757/27/12 at 10:18am
I did the full vent mod on my 80i. I removed the "loin" cloth and vented all ten holes on the driver. The button is now glued with plastic cement (like for models) which melts the plastic to form a weld. So I just put a round self adhesive felt button behind it for a little damping.
The "i" series now have the same size air chamber as the current Allessandro series.
The 80i cable has 4 conductors now, so I don't see the need for a cable replacement.
I did not do the "quarter" mod as the venting noticably stepped up the base and treble. Leaving the pads stock helped to reduce the sizzle that the venting did. SO, the venting actually takes them, to me, a little too far, and them you can reel them back to taste.
I did the same mods on a SR60i with similar results. If you have access to Metallica's "Enter Sandman" to test them after the mods are done don't turn it up too high at first......................post #283 of 4757/27/12 at 11:02ampost #284 of 4757/27/12 at 3:08pm
- Grado SR80 Impressions thread!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Fulla (by) Schiit - News, photos, thoughts, impressions, etc. 17 seconds ago
- › Dubstep Girl's Massive 5AR4/5R4/5U4G Rectifier Review/Comparison!... 37 seconds ago
- › FS: Audio-Technica ATH-W3000ANV 39 seconds ago
- › Music Game IX 3 minutes ago
- › Havi b3 pro 1 thread 2.0 3 minutes ago
- › Havi B6 ! 3 minutes ago
- › VSONIC GR07 Impressions & Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening. 5 minutes ago
- › The "non-Grado" Driver Grado Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable 6 minutes ago
- › YUIN PK3 Earbuds by thebluebulk
- › Brainwavz S1 by thatBeatsguy
- › SHOZY Alien DAP by Loquah
- › Shure SRH840 by SoundScout
- › Sennheiser HD-598 by MyFamilyShoppin
- › Lehmann Rhinelander by jdpark
- › RAZER Kraken Pro Circumaural Analog Gaming Headset - Black by kigisaru
- › AWEI ES-Q9 Super Bass Wooden Earphones Headphones Headsets Fiber... by Mellowship
- › Koss Pro4S Full Size Studio Headphones, Black with Silver Trim by Zombie_X
- › Shure SRH1540 Headphones by nicholars
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)