Thanks Joseph, i've since read an article on Innerfidelity which pretty much summed up the L type sounds the best too. Your spot on in that they currently have the S type pads (80i) so i'll see what other pads i can get my hands on and try them out. For the moment taking a break every hour to allow the blood to recirculate is doing the trick, and now that i have a few more hours listening time under my belt i have come to the conclusion that they are keepers. I understand why people rave about these, but i dont get what people mean by "That Grado sound", they just sound honest to me, and what a bargain they were too. I guess the JVC's are officially retired from general purpose use, the Grados can take pride and place on my cabinet door next to my Sennheisers
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Best grados under 300$ Last post on 11/9/10 at 1:56pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado SR325i's Last post on 3/25/12 at 4:19am in Headphones (full-size)
- Which albums sound best with your Grado? Last post on 9/24/13 at 10:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- grado hole venting Last post on 10/17/11 at 7:50pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado SR80i vs. 125i Last post on 10/20/11 at 3:57am in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: Yesterday
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- Grado Modification OverviewLast edited: 9/27/11
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
http://www.head-fi.org/t/685339/new-akg-flagship-k812-first-impression/120#post_10026763 Now I correct the Google translate - I use http://www.dict.cc/ and my (small) knowledge of English I hope...
Sounds great with the modded AKG Q701. Nearly as good with that as my main amp that originally cost $350. Impressive! In fact, the Vali added nothing to the sound of the modded Q701, which is...
*I listened to the Westone 4Rs using iPhone 4S and the latest iPod Classic (6th Generation). The below sums up my listening experience from these sources only.* The Westone 4Rs fit my ears...
I have owned the ECP Audio L-2 for about 2 months now. I also own an Eddie Current Super 7 with NOS tubes, including Tung Sol BGRP driver tube. I have previously owned the Woo WA22, the Luxman...
I'm a noob to high quality audio equipment. I have been using V-Moda M-80's. I bought these because they were onsale for $272, and it would be stupid not to buy them at that price. I just opened...
Grado SR80 APPRECIATION THREAD! - Page 21post #301 of 3558/12/13 at 7:18pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #302 of 3558/12/13 at 7:20pmpost #303 of 3558/15/13 at 1:32am
I've owned a pair for over ten years, now. I absolutely love them! I bought them second hand off eBay for $50. They are still like new. They really sound better with age, in my opinion. It takes some serious burn-in time to get them to their best state. I own a pile of cans but these are always nearby. I can't imagine a better deal in the hifi world! You can spend a fortune trying to best them.post #304 of 3558/15/13 at 1:35ampost #305 of 3558/20/13 at 8:50amQuote:
This is just unfathomable to me...these headphones are super light with very little clamp at all. I can't understand for the life of me why your circulation would be getting cut off. I can understand that some find the pads a bit scratchy, but this is easily remedied by running them through with the laundry a time or two. But cutting off the circulation?post #306 of 3558/20/13 at 1:24pm
I first got interested in "nice" headphones last September before a family trip to California. I ended up buying a set of SR60is, and I loved them.
Well, come Christmas, I end up getting a set of SR80is. I was ecstatic until I plugged them in. They seemed to be very harsh and they had no bass. However, I made the transition to wearing the 80is daily instead of the 60is , and, over time, the the 80is mellowed out and the bass got much better.
Sometime last winter, I punched two holes per side in the dampening foam behind the drivers. I like the extra bass that this gives, but I also feel as if they lost just a little bit of precision. Still, I think it was worth it.
Now, after almost eight full months of daily use, I think I prefer the 80is to the 60is. Be warned, though, these headphones do require a lot of time to break in. I broke mine in only with normal use, and the sound evolved over several weeks. It changed from what, at first, seemed harsh and bass-less to a far more pleasant tone, with good, punchy bass and, bright, but not harsh, highs.
Love these 'phones, and I can't wait to build an amp for them. I agree with everyone else in the thread, they're just fun.
Edited by Eta power - 8/20/13 at 1:25pmpost #307 of 35510/18/13 at 9:57pm
Just got a set of SR80's (non-i) off eBay the other day for under $70...damn are they good! First Grados for me and I'm already a big fan. I don't find them as uncomfortable as I had anticipated and the noise leak wasn't annoying (to me) at all.post #308 of 35510/19/13 at 4:15amQuote:
Congrats, and welcome aboard the Grado train :-)post #309 of 35510/19/13 at 6:50amQuote:
Congratulations, the 80's are an awesome headphone, enjoy!!!post #310 of 35510/22/13 at 12:00ampost #311 of 35511/2/13 at 7:59pmpost #312 of 35511/2/13 at 8:03pmpost #313 of 35511/2/13 at 8:27pm
Hey thanks! My only quibble would be that the build quality could be better. Surprisingly they sound really good right out of the box. I'm sure things will sound even better as they burn in
3 hours later and I'm still loving them! These are keepers for surepost #314 of 35511/2/13 at 8:46pmpost #315 of 35511/2/13 at 8:56pm
- Grado SR80 APPRECIATION THREAD!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Best classical recordings...ever! 3 seconds ago
- › Help me pick the ideal IEM for Metal/Prog! 5 seconds ago
- › New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne" 53 seconds ago
- › Budget Headphones - Help please! 1 minute ago
- › ***Violectric V200/v800 ( amp and DAC deal)- shipped within US at... 1 minute ago
- › AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp 2 minutes ago
- › Seattle Sunday New Year Meet 01/05/14 2 minutes ago
- › The FitEar CIEM Appreciation/Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Hifiman HE-300 mod removes the dark sound 3 minutes ago
- › Grado Bushmills X - Grado's first closed-back headphone? 3 minutes ago
- › AKG K812 by FritzS
- › Schiit Vali by tdockweiler
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by Wilderbeast
- › ecp audio L-2 Parafeed Headphone Amplifier by minimus
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by DrumminD21311
- › FiiO RC-MH1 Headphone Upgrade Cable by SkyBleu
- › Sennheiser CX 175 by thesurvivor90
- › EarSonics SM2 v2 by Gilly87
- › Shure SE535-V Triple High-Definition MicroDriver Earphone with... by Wilderbeast
- › Sony MDRXB600 Extra Bass Over the Head 40mm Driver Headphone, Black by Shini44
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop &... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Cables &... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Wireless... by joe