Thanks Joseph, i've since read an article on Innerfidelity which pretty much summed up the L type sounds the best too. Your spot on in that they currently have the S type pads (80i) so i'll see what other pads i can get my hands on and try them out. For the moment taking a break every hour to allow the blood to recirculate is doing the trick, and now that i have a few more hours listening time under my belt i have come to the conclusion that they are keepers. I understand why people rave about these, but i dont get what people mean by "That Grado sound", they just sound honest to me, and what a bargain they were too. I guess the JVC's are officially retired from general purpose use, the Grados can take pride and place on my cabinet door next to my Sennheisers
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Best grados under 300$ Last post on 11/9/10 at 1:56pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado SR325i's Last post on 3/25/12 at 4:19am in Headphones (full-size)
- Which albums sound best with your Grado? Last post on 9/24/13 at 10:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- grado hole venting Last post on 10/17/11 at 7:50pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado SR80i vs. 125i Last post on 10/20/11 at 3:57am in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- Grado Modification OverviewLast edited: 9/27/11
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
Remember Edifier? The company that now owns Stax? I recently covered their e10 Exclaim desktop speakers and found them rather impressive for just $99. While making a nice budget speaker is...
This is my first review, so please bear with me if I'm not particularly clear. 1) This is a headphones that takes time to appreciate 2) 1/2 star for the sound quality, 4&1/2 star for getting...
The AH-D7100's immediately became my go-to headphones for daily use since the day I purchased them three weeks ago. They sound much fuller compared to my Beyerdynamic T5P's and produce high sound...
You get what you see. Nothing extra. CNT or "Carbon nano tube" diaphrams/drivers were developed by the Chinese (I studied this) and J.V.C was the first to mass produce it in their...
I could not recommend these headphones more, they sound better than anything else i have had the opportunity to listen to for more than five minutes. They take the best parts of the headphones i...
Grado SR80 APPRECIATION THREAD! - Page 21post #301 of 3918/12/13 at 7:18pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #302 of 3918/12/13 at 7:20pmpost #303 of 3918/15/13 at 1:32am
I've owned a pair for over ten years, now. I absolutely love them! I bought them second hand off eBay for $50. They are still like new. They really sound better with age, in my opinion. It takes some serious burn-in time to get them to their best state. I own a pile of cans but these are always nearby. I can't imagine a better deal in the hifi world! You can spend a fortune trying to best them.post #304 of 3918/15/13 at 1:35ampost #305 of 3918/20/13 at 8:50amQuote:
This is just unfathomable to me...these headphones are super light with very little clamp at all. I can't understand for the life of me why your circulation would be getting cut off. I can understand that some find the pads a bit scratchy, but this is easily remedied by running them through with the laundry a time or two. But cutting off the circulation?post #306 of 3918/20/13 at 1:24pm
I first got interested in "nice" headphones last September before a family trip to California. I ended up buying a set of SR60is, and I loved them.
Well, come Christmas, I end up getting a set of SR80is. I was ecstatic until I plugged them in. They seemed to be very harsh and they had no bass. However, I made the transition to wearing the 80is daily instead of the 60is , and, over time, the the 80is mellowed out and the bass got much better.
Sometime last winter, I punched two holes per side in the dampening foam behind the drivers. I like the extra bass that this gives, but I also feel as if they lost just a little bit of precision. Still, I think it was worth it.
Now, after almost eight full months of daily use, I think I prefer the 80is to the 60is. Be warned, though, these headphones do require a lot of time to break in. I broke mine in only with normal use, and the sound evolved over several weeks. It changed from what, at first, seemed harsh and bass-less to a far more pleasant tone, with good, punchy bass and, bright, but not harsh, highs.
Love these 'phones, and I can't wait to build an amp for them. I agree with everyone else in the thread, they're just fun.
Edited by Eta power - 8/20/13 at 1:25pmpost #307 of 39110/18/13 at 9:57pm
Just got a set of SR80's (non-i) off eBay the other day for under $70...damn are they good! First Grados for me and I'm already a big fan. I don't find them as uncomfortable as I had anticipated and the noise leak wasn't annoying (to me) at all.post #308 of 39110/19/13 at 4:15amQuote:
Congrats, and welcome aboard the Grado train :-)post #309 of 39110/19/13 at 6:50amQuote:
Congratulations, the 80's are an awesome headphone, enjoy!!!post #310 of 39110/22/13 at 12:00ampost #311 of 39111/2/13 at 7:59pmpost #312 of 39111/2/13 at 8:03pmpost #313 of 39111/2/13 at 8:27pm
Hey thanks! My only quibble would be that the build quality could be better. Surprisingly they sound really good right out of the box. I'm sure things will sound even better as they burn in
3 hours later and I'm still loving them! These are keepers for surepost #314 of 39111/2/13 at 8:46pmpost #315 of 39111/2/13 at 8:56pm
- Grado SR80 APPRECIATION THREAD!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Rate The Last Movie You Watched 40 seconds ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.2.8 51 seconds ago
- › Westone 4 Appreciation Thread and Reviews (a.k.a. Westone 4 ?) 55 seconds ago
- › The (new) HD800 Appreciation Thread 59 seconds ago
- › The Sad State Of The So Called Audiophile DAP Market 59 seconds ago
- › Sol Republic Master Tracks XC Studio - Tuned by Calvin Harris 1 minute ago
- › FS: ALO PanAm and tubes 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones 2 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 4 minutes ago
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by project86
- › Aftershokz Sportz M2 AS320 Open Ear Sports Headphones by sensible
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by sjp3003
- › JVC Kenwood Victer stereo headphones HA-SZ2000 japan import by Hawaiibadboy
- › PSB M4U 1 by yay101
- › SONY Stereo headphones black MDR-1RMK2/B by Nec3
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50S by turbomustang84
- › Superlux HD669 by mang0
- › IFI Gemini usb cable by turo91
- › Sony Over-Ear Headphones - MDR-10R by a_recording
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude