Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › The Dangers of Storing 9V Batteries
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Dangers of Storing 9V Batteries

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
I smelled an acrid smell coming from a drawer, I opened it up to find a smoking 9V battery that was stuffed in the drawer full of batteries. The 9V was blazing hot and was shorting by touching the ends on something metal in the drawer.

So now I make sure to put a piece of tape on the contacts of the 9V batteries to prevent shorting like that.

I have no idea how long it was like that, but I can imagine it could've started a fire. (bye bye wooden headphones and home)

So be careful with your battery storage, particulary 9V batteries.

-Ed
post #2 of 20
This should also be done when dispossing of batteries, if your local garbage collectors dont have a special service for disposing of them.
post #3 of 20
Thanks for the warning!
post #4 of 20
You also don't want to walk around with a 9 volt in a pocket full of change!
post #5 of 20
I have always worried about this and keep mine in small plastic bags.

I was always warned about batteries and keys in your pocket. I also recommend keeping them out of your mouth!
post #6 of 20
thats why i always buy the indivisally wrapped ones or keep em in the package til usage time.
post #7 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpm2000
thats why i always buy the indivisally wrapped ones or keep em in the package til usage time.
The one that was smoking in the drawer was a partially used one in the "used battery drawer". So even though I keep new batteries in their packs, this one caused problems anyways due to carelessness.

A small strip of cheap tape or a small plastic baggie makes for very cheap insurance.

-Ed
post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipidicman
I have always worried about this and keep mine in small plastic bags.

I was always warned about batteries and keys in your pocket. I also recommend keeping them out of your mouth!
You can lick the ends of a 9v without doing anything but getting a tingling sensation!
post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebascrub
You can lick the ends of a 9v without doing anything but getting a tingling sensation!
Haha, I thought I was the only one who would lick a 9V.
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwood
I smelled an acrid smell coming from a drawer, I opened it up to find a smoking 9V battery that was stuffed in the drawer full of batteries. The 9V was blazing hot and was shorting by touching the ends on something metal in the drawer.

So now I make sure to put a piece of tape on the contacts of the 9V batteries to prevent shorting like that.

I have no idea how long it was like that, but I can imagine it could've started a fire. (bye bye wooden headphones and home)

So be careful with your battery storage, particulary 9V batteries.

-Ed
Hehe, similar thing happened to me but with a 9 Amp-Hour 12V SLA battery. Luckily, I was there when this started to happen, but even then the battery cleanly melted hard plastic that was part of a metal plug with lots of smoke..
post #11 of 20
Thanks for the warning!!

I keep all my extra unused 9V cells in a small plastic tupperware, I use foam sheet to wedge them apart so they dont touch.

NO JOKE!! Ive seen 7.2V and 8.4V RC car batteries weld and melt 12 gauge molex connectors together. RC cars discharge at a VERY fast rate, ~3000mAH at 7.2 Volts in ~5-6 minutes. So... its darn near a dead short, at least compared to the single digit milliamp discharge rate of a typical headphone amp.

Batteries are dengerous if not properly stored, or stored loosely and unprotected.
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer5150
Thanks for the warning!!

I keep all my extra unused 9V cells in a small plastic tupperware, I use foam sheet to wedge them apart so they dont touch.

NO JOKE!! Ive seen 7.2V and 8.4V RC car batteries weld and melt 12 gauge molex connectors together. RC cars discharge at a VERY fast rate, ~3000mAH at 7.2 Volts in ~5-6 minutes. So... its darn near a dead short, at least compared to the single digit milliamp discharge rate of a typical headphone amp.

Batteries are dengerous if not properly stored, or stored loosely and unprotected.

Ni-Cd batteries are no joke. They can burn you or weld metal. Alkalines on the other hand I wouldn't worry about so much.
post #13 of 20
I store a bunch of batteries in the freezer.
post #14 of 20
ya batteries can be extremely dangerous... i had a 12v 12ah lead acid battery in my car in a box of stuff... some genious nearly ran me off the road with his boat and in the process of braking a metal braket shorted out the battery, the battery quickly set the box on fire and almost caught my back seat on fire...
post #15 of 20
This reminds me of my reckless youth.

Now, don't any of you try this. It is not safe and you could hurt yourself, others or your property.

I realized that two 9 volts can be plugged into each other, so I took a pair out on the concrete patio in the back yard and plugged them into each other. They got very hot before one started leaking. I used a stick to push them apart. If they were around papers, or in a closed area, they could have easily caught on fire.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › The Dangers of Storing 9V Batteries