Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Nordost Valhalla appreciation thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Nordost Valhalla appreciation thread - Page 7  

post #91 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick82 View Post
ICEpower amps have short-circuit protection. It's the tweakers dream.
Short circuit protections won't work in a lot of situations. That short circuit protection is there as a final possibility, but you don't want to be anywhere near depending on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick82 View Post

There are people who only care about safety, and there are others who only care about better sound.
When you are gambling you need to accept the losses if you lose. What I have won is far greater than what I can lose.
Most likely it'll be fine, but if you're unlucky, you can die with the modding you have done. I wouldn't want to risk it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick82 View Post
There are loads of audiophiles who have hardwired cables and bypassed fuses. I can't see anything wrong with that. They all say it sounds amazing, I agree. It's too bad that people are so afraid they don't want better sound. Being afraid doesn't lead you anywhere...
It isn't so much about hardwiring cables and bypassing fuses that is extremely dangerous -- it's the way you did it.

I like modding and I like your extreme approach to it, but this might really be pushing the borders of what should be done. If you had done the mods you have done in a correct way it wouldn't be a large problem but this is dangerous.
post #92 of 272
^^ oic

well, it seems fine then. I know I think what you mean. It's not soldered but it's in there enough that tugging on it won't make it loose unless you tugged enough.

So are you just auditioning the cables now? You said you soldered the power cable to the power plant but did not solder on the other end. Why did you use any solder at all if you said it makes it worse (just use the shove-in method on the power plant also)? Just curious.
post #93 of 272
for gods sake quit posting that pic of your face messed up. if i remember correctly its from when you went outside in the sun. ITS A SUNBURN, BIG DEAL. put on some sunscreen next time you go out, many other people do. Stop using that pic to brag about how extreme you are

extreme people don't get sunburns
post #94 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walie View Post
for gods sake quit posting that pic of your face messed up. if i remember correctly its from when you went outside in the sun. ITS A SUNBURN, BIG DEAL. put on some sunscreen next time you go out, many other people do. Stop using that pic to brag about how extreme you are

extreme people don't get sunburns
No they break all bones in their bodies!

Patrick, you can buy special tape to insulate! cheap and effective!
post #95 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by puiah11 View Post
^^ oic

well, it seems fine then. I know I think what you mean. It's not soldered but it's in there enough that tugging on it won't make it loose unless you tugged enough.

So are you just auditioning the cables now? You said you soldered the power cable to the power plant but did not solder on the other end. Why did you use any solder at all if you said it makes it worse (just use the shove-in method on the power plant also)? Just curious.
Hmm, i tried a test with silver solder and i didn't hear any difference with or without silver solder at all. Not even when i used plenty!
post #96 of 272
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourmaline View Post
No they break all bones in their bodies!
I have never broken a bone or anything, even when I'm so frail. I ride my bike to pieces and I don't even have a scratch. I don't ride like sissy girl, I just know all the possibilities of what can happen. When I brake I almost fall over steer, but I control it good so it doesn't happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourmaline View Post
Hmm, i tried a test with silver solder and i didn't hear any difference with or without silver solder at all. Not even when i used plenty!
Yes, same with me, I put big pieces of silver solder and it still sounds like before. It is weird that skeptics worry about things like that, I guess it is written somewhere in their books along with their sissy girl safety manuals.

See this audiophile, nothing wrong with that: http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/twe...es/138796.html
post #97 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick82 View Post
Yes, same with me, I put big pieces of silver solder and it still sounds like before. It is weird that skeptics worry about things like that, I guess it is written somewhere in their books along with their sissy girl safety manuals.
With solder less is more. No one is telling you to use lots of solder, they are telling you to a do a better job at soldering. There's a difference. Those are honestly some of the worst hack jobs I've seen. How you haven't been evicted yet is beyond me. It should also be noted that there's also a difference between tweaking and mutilating and what you do, does not fall under the former.

And yes, please stop posting those pictures. Sunburn does not make you "extreme". Sunburn is for sissy girls.
post #98 of 272
I generally enjoy Patrick's posts, but add me to the list of people not enjoying the angry sunburn picture. It wasn't funny or interesting the first time....
post #99 of 272
the sunburn doesnt bother me. even though it is ugly.

what does bother me is what he and his neighbors might look like after one of his hacks goes wrong. that might look a whole lot worse.

in all honesty i think the danger he is creating for himself and others is disgusting. even worse he seems not to take any ones advice.

music_man
post #100 of 272
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_man View Post
the external ers pictures are just silly and ugly, but whatever. the internal usage of that on your behalf looks about as safe as napalm.
I burned the paper with my soldering iron and nothing happened. If it's not flammable enough to catch fire with 200C degrees then how can it be like napalm inside the amp that is room temperature?
ERS Paper is supposed to be put internally. That's why it was made.

ERS Paper made the biggest improvement I have ever heard. It's not good to scare people from getting better sound. Instead they might waste the money on an amp or source upgrade and will miss out big time.
BTW. My amp already had a sheet of ERS Paper inside when I bought it.
post #101 of 272
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzula View Post
I generally enjoy Patrick's posts, but add me to the list of people not enjoying the angry sunburn picture. It wasn't funny or interesting the first time....
It's not supposed to be funny, it's supposed to be sad that I'm risking skin burns in saving my Valhalla power cables. That's what I said. Without Valhalla cables I can't listen to music anymore because it doesn't sound acceptable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline889 View Post
With solder less is more. No one is telling you to use lots of solder, they are telling you to a do a better job at soldering. There's a difference. Those are honestly some of the worst hack jobs I've seen. How you haven't been evicted yet is beyond me. It should also be noted that there's also a difference between tweaking and mutilating and what you do, does not fall under the former.
It's the same as telling a guy in a wheelchair how bad he is at walking. I do the best job with what I have instead of being scared and not do anything because it wouldn't be good enough for someone else.

If your back is burning from pain you want it to be over as fast as possible. The last thing you worry about is other people saying it's a crappy job. My room is so small that I need to eat standing up. I am on my knees doing the soldering for 12 hours straight, I don't take breaks because I can't sleep if I leave things incomplete.

The soldering I did with Cary was the best I ever did, I can't do better. With my amp it took half a day just to figure out how to solder all wires into the tiny pins without them touching each other, I had to melt down the plastic and bend the pins into opposite directions, others would have done the same.

My goal was to make it sound better than connectors, it doesn't matter how crappy the soldering gets if it sounds little better.
post #102 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick82 View Post
I burned the paper with my soldering iron and nothing happened. If it's not flammable enough to catch fire with 200C degrees then how can it be like napalm inside the amp that is room temperature?
ERS Paper is supposed to be put internally. That's why it was made.

ERS Paper made the biggest improvement I have ever heard. It's not good to scare people from getting better sound. Instead they might waste the money on an amp or source upgrade and will miss out big time.
BTW. My amp already had a sheet of ERS Paper inside when I bought it.
darn, if that paper is soo good, i have to give it a try someday!
First caps upgrade.
post #103 of 272
Thread Starter 

Interconnects color the sound to the better

I compared a few cables and it seems that deeper silver plating makes the sound more colored. Valhalla is the only one with 78 microns silver plating, the rest have 60 microns. All have Micro Mono-Filaments.
I made my own interconnects from Valkyrja speaker cable, I also cut a Vishnu power cord into 50cm lengths and used that as interconnects, it works great!

22awg Valkyrja speaker cable + Eichmann Bullets + 2 layers ERS Paper
16awg Vishnu power cord + Neutrik XLR + hardwired
22awg Valhalla interconnect + Neutrik XLR + hardwired



Valkyrja sounds very smooth, flat and neutral, nothing sticks out, everything sounds the same, it doesn't sound like real life. There is no sibilance at all. It felt like listening to background music instead of being inside the music. Neutral sound is very boring, I just wanted to turn the music off.

Vishnu sounded very heavy and smoother than Valkyrja, I liked it better at first but it quickly became fatiguing from the heavy bass. Vocals sounded more realistic but low-level detail was lacking badly. Many will love this sound.

Valhalla sounds fake and messed up, it's edgy and bright which gives fake transparency, blackness and dynamics. Everything is more distinct, nothing blends together. It sounds more exciting because everything is emphasized. It's very colored, but I still wanted to keep listening.



I was surprised that shielding of the cable didn't matter in quick testing, I connected shielding of the Valhalla interconnect and didn't hear an improvement , it must be a very small difference. It is weird that skeptics only worry about proper shielding and don't care about what is really important.
Using the Valkyrja speaker cable nude sounded very smooth, there was no sibilance at all. I'm not sure I heard a difference when adding ERS Paper shielding.

Soon I will slice open one of my Valhalla power cords and use that as interconnects for movies. 16awg with 78 microns silver plating should make it the most colored of them all. I'm guessing it's better than the Valhalla interconnect since it has Dual Micro Mono-Filaments instead of single. The Valhalla interconnect and speaker cables are old technology, only the power cords and digital cables are good enough.

Does anyone know if it works to use a couple Valhalla digital AES/EBU cables as XLR interconnects? On their website it says the two conductors are bonded together, are they in separate tubes?
post #104 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick82 View Post
It's not supposed to be funny, it's supposed to be sad that I'm risking skin burns in saving my Valhalla power cables. That's what I said.
Whatever the point is, you posted the picture, everyone saw it, and it's not a picture that really gains anything by being shown more than once, is it?
post #105 of 272
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzula View Post
Whatever the point is, you posted the picture, everyone saw it, and it's not a picture that really gains anything by being shown more than once, is it?
A picture can mean many things and can be used many times to show the truth. In the other thread I said my skin is sensitive to sunburns, in this thread I say I can risk skin burns because I like Valhalla cables. Same picture, different meaning.

See these pictures, they can be put into every thread, especially those with skeptics and trolls in them.



New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Nordost Valhalla appreciation thread