Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Nordost Valhalla appreciation thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Nordost Valhalla appreciation thread - Page 8  

post #106 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick82 View Post
The soldering I did with Cary was the best I ever did, I can't do better. With my amp it took half a day just to figure out how to solder all wires into the tiny pins without them touching each other, I had to melt down the plastic and bend the pins into opposite directions, others would have done the same.
why didnt you remove the pins completely and solder the wire to the board?
Quote:
My goal was to make it sound better than connectors, it doesn't matter how crappy the soldering gets if it sounds little better.
you still have connectors. and does a crap siolder job sound as good as a good one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick82 View Post
ok, let me guess, is the first (left) one someone who takes equal steps at all points of his work, and builds a stable platform on which to stand?
is the second a dude who invested all his effort in one microscopic aspect of his woprk, ignoring other substanital aspects, and fell into a hole?
post #107 of 272
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikongod View Post
why didnt you remove the pins completely and solder the wire to the board?
Because the Valkyrja conductors are twice the size of the pins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikongod View Post
you still have connectors. and does a crap siolder job sound as good as a good one?
I have removed almost all AC connectors. Hardwiring made a bigger difference than Wattgate vs Marinco connectors, who cares of crap solder job if it saves you thousands and gives better sound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikongod View Post
ok, let me guess, is the first (left) one someone who takes equal steps at all points of his work, and builds a stable platform on which to stand?
is the second a dude who invested all his effort in one microscopic aspect of his woprk, ignoring other substanital aspects, and fell into a hole?
People see what they want to see.
post #108 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick82 View Post
Yes, only good things happen from Valhalla. It made me lose fat as well, if they sold Valhalla for 10 bucks then there would be fat people all over the place, imagine elevators falling down from too much weight. Valhalla is a life saver!
Isn't that sad, you wasted all your food money to power chords and tweaks... Wayy to go dude!
post #109 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick82 View Post
I compared a few cables and it seems that deeper silver plating makes the sound more colored. Valhalla is the only one with 78 microns silver plating, the rest have 60 microns. All have Micro Mono-Filaments.
I made my own interconnects from Valkyrja speaker cable, I also cut a Vishnu power cord into 50cm lengths and used that as interconnects, it works great!

22awg Valkyrja speaker cable + Eichmann Bullets + 2 layers ERS Paper
16awg Vishnu power cord + Neutrik XLR + hardwired
22awg Valhalla interconnect + Neutrik XLR + hardwired



Valkyrja sounds very smooth, flat and neutral, nothing sticks out, everything sounds the same, it doesn't sound like real life. There is no sibilance at all. It felt like listening to background music instead of being inside the music. Neutral sound is very boring, I just wanted to turn the music off.

Vishnu sounded very heavy and smoother than Valkyrja, I liked it better at first but it quickly became fatiguing from the heavy bass. Vocals sounded more realistic but low-level detail was lacking badly. Many will love this sound.

Valhalla sounds fake and messed up, it's edgy and bright which gives fake transparency, blackness and dynamics. Everything is more distinct, nothing blends together. It sounds more exciting because everything is emphasized. It's very colored, but I still wanted to keep listening.



I was surprised that shielding of the cable didn't matter in quick testing, I connected shielding of the Valhalla interconnect and didn't hear an improvement , it must be a very small difference. It is weird that skeptics only worry about proper shielding and don't care about what is really important.
Using the Valkyrja speaker cable nude sounded very smooth, there was no sibilance at all. I'm not sure I heard a difference when adding ERS Paper shielding.

Soon I will slice open one of my Valhalla power cords and use that as interconnects for movies. 16awg with 78 microns silver plating should make it the most colored of them all. I'm guessing it's better than the Valhalla interconnect since it has Dual Micro Mono-Filaments instead of single. The Valhalla interconnect and speaker cables are old technology, only the power cords and digital cables are good enough.

Does anyone know if it works to use a couple Valhalla digital AES/EBU cables as XLR interconnects? On their website it says the two conductors are bonded together, are they in separate tubes?
Strange, on my system the valkyrja interlinks are much more musical then any other cable and have more body and sound much more natural! there is a nice sparkle in the upper highs in my system, wich isn't there with the quatro fil, for instance, the valkyrja and the valhalla are both much better!

Guess system synergy...
post #110 of 272

Hrm

It's frightening to see such visceral passion on one hand...

and even worse to see that after spending 50k+ on a home audio system you'll end up wanting to spend thousands of dollars per foot in order to rewire what should be godly cabling? (Would elite home audio companies include ****** power cables with their amps? Why? Isn't it in their best interest to have your home system sound as great as possible so that you'll tell your friends how great it is, and they'll go buy their products as well?).

Money...
post #111 of 272
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourmaline View Post
Strange, on my system the valkyrja interlinks are much more musical then any other cable and have more body and sound much more natural! there is a nice sparkle in the upper highs in my system, wich isn't there with the quatro fil, for instance, the valkyrja and the valhalla are both much better!

Guess system synergy...
Valkyrja has sparkle when comparing it against crappy cables . Since I took the time to even listen to it shows how good it is. I was hoping it would be better than Valhalla but it was too neutral for me. I need deeper silver plating!

100 microns silver plating + 22awg + Dual Micro Mono-Filaments would be nice, they could name it "Valhalla Extreme". Only use 1 conductor per signal and remove the rest (too much muddiness), sell it cheap and more people will buy it since Valhalla is made to compensate for crappy systems! Put my bum face on the box to show that poor people can afford these cables too... Write the truth on the website and say this cable isn't neutral but it makes every system sound neutral because the cable is heavily colored, truth always wins in the end, it could convince some skeptics too. Nordost will lose on a few dozen people from the high-end market but will gain far more from millions of people from the low-end. Start producing more cables and sell Valhalla for $100, everybody wins!

I see the future, whole cities wired with Valhalla cable... If I would build a perfect city myself, I would choose Valhalla cable, it's that good!
post #112 of 272
is it possible to produce more of this item and still maintain the present level of quality control?
post #113 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick82 View Post
Valkyrja has sparkle when comparing it against crappy cables . Since I took the time to even listen to it shows how good it is. I was hoping it would be better than Valhalla but it was too neutral for me. I need deeper silver plating!

100 microns silver plating + 22awg + Dual Micro Mono-Filaments would be nice, they could name it "Valhalla Extreme". Only use 1 conductor per signal and remove the rest (too much muddiness), sell it cheap and more people will buy it since Valhalla is made to compensate for crappy systems! Put my bum face on the box to show that poor people can afford these cables too... Write the truth on the website and say this cable isn't neutral but it makes every system sound neutral because the cable is heavily colored, truth always wins in the end, it could convince some skeptics too. Nordost will lose on a few dozen people from the high-end market but will gain far more from millions of people from the low-end. Start producing more cables and sell Valhalla for $100, everybody wins!

I see the future, whole cities wired with Valhalla cable... If I would build a perfect city myself, I would choose Valhalla cable, it's that good!

In my system the valkyrja is perfect. Just enough body and neutral! you're sure your amp isn't to blame for it, since most SS are too lean! Valhalla or valkyrja won't compensate for lousy sytems!

Quattro fil isn't a lousy cable either, it was the former top end of nordost. Compared to the quattro fil, the valkyrja has more detail , air and body and especially more musical. it's NOT lean at all, if so, your amp is to blame!

Valkyrja = 95% of valhalla so there is a very small difference anyway!

Almost evry reviewer says that nordost valkyrja and valhalla are one of the most neutral cables and don't compenate for any fault in the system, if you say the valhalla compensates for your system, then there's something wrong! I don't agree with ya on the evaluation of the interlinks.

If you really wanna have natural sound, ditch the SS and get a good tube amp!
post #114 of 272
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick82 View Post
With my amp it took half a day just to figure out how to solder all wires into the tiny pins without them touching each other, I had to melt down the plastic and bend the pins into opposite directions, others would have done the same.

My goal was to make it sound better than connectors, it doesn't matter how crappy the soldering gets if it sounds little better.
I found this picture on my harddrive, the pins are smaller than I remembered.









post #115 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick82 View Post
I found this picture on my harddrive, the pins are smaller than I remembered.










Soldering HD pins isn't gonna do anything for ya. PC has error correction.
post #116 of 272
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourmaline View Post
Soldering HD pins isn't gonna do anything for ya. PC has errorcorrection.
The small pins is the analog connection between pre-amp and amp. The stock wiring was 24awg (UnderwoodHifi mod) and I replaced it with 22awg.

The big pins are for DC wiring from ICEpower module to the Gain Cell board. The difference was huge when I tried different amount of conductors, with 3 conductors there was too much bass, with 1 conductor bass was gone and highs were emphasized. 2 conductors was perfect. The stock wiring was 18awg and I replaced it with 2x22awg.
post #117 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick82 View Post
The small pins is the analog connection between pre-amp and amp. The stock wiring was 24awg and I replaced it with 22awg.

The big pins are for DC wiring from ICEpower module to the Gain Cell board. The difference was huge when I tried different amount of conductors, with 3 conductors there was too much bass, with 1 conductor bass was gone and highs were emphasized. 2 conductors was perfect. The stock wiring was 18awg and I replaced it with 2x22awg.
Ah, ok, i thought it were HD drive pins!

Not the best solder job i've seen!
post #118 of 272
One of the great mysteries of the universe is how that PS Audio amp is still running.

I don't try to understand it...I simply have to accept it.....


....and assume Patrick is not human.
post #119 of 272
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourmaline View Post
In my system the valkyrja is perfect. Just enough body and neutral! you're sure your amp isn't to blame for it, since most SS are too lean! Valhalla or valkyrja won't compensate for lousy sytems!

Quattro fil isn't a lousy cable either, it was the former top end of nordost. Compared to the quattro fil, the valkyrja has more detail , air and body and especially more musical. it's NOT lean at all, if so, your amp is to blame!

Valkyrja = 95% of valhalla so there is a very small difference anyway!

Almost evry reviewer says that nordost valkyrja and valhalla are one of the most neutral cables and don't compenate for any fault in the system, if you say the valhalla compensates for your system, then there's something wrong! I don't agree with ya on the evaluation of the interlinks.

If you really wanna have natural sound, ditch the SS and get a good tube amp!
Since I got my vibration isolation rack my system has sounded too heavy, that's why I made my Valhallas thinner.

A thicker cable compensates for a thin sounding system. When using the correct size it sounds like it should sound, it shows all weaknesses. 1 conductor (22awg for analog, 16awg for power) is all that is needed, anything more is a band-aid. The Valhalla interconnect with it's 4x22awg per signal is close to 16awg total. Valhalla power cord with 3x16awg is around 11awg total. It's way too fat and sounds too muddy and heavy in my system. I needed more detail, that's why I disconnected the rest of the conductors. Each Valhalla I modded gave huge improvements, the muddiness went away.

The silver plating further compensates for a muddy system by making it edgy and smooth which gives fake transparency. You can combine it in a system with stock cabling to get that result because Valhalla is colored.

Before I used to think it was weird that Valhalla sounded the same in every system it was put into, if it really was neutral then every system should sound different instead of having the same obvious Valhalla sound signature.
post #120 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick82 View Post
Since I got my vibration isolation rack my system has sounded too heavy, that's why I made my Valhallas thinner.

A thicker cable compensates for a thin sounding system.
ROFLMAO
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Nordost Valhalla appreciation thread