Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Behringer SRC2496 vs Entech Number Cruncher 203.2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Behringer SRC2496 vs Entech Number Cruncher 203.2 - Page 2

post #16 of 34
Thinking of coupling this Behringer with My tube amp a Dared MP-5 as the built-in USB dac is not ideal. Eventually I will get a X-fi for games. What do you guys think of this setup?
post #17 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan11003
Thinking of coupling this Behringer with My tube amp a Dared MP-5 as the built-in USB dac is not ideal. Eventually I will get a X-fi for games. What do you guys think of this setup?
Why is the USB setup not ideal? I love the SRC2496, but I have read good things about the Dared.
post #18 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by uofmtiger
Why is the USB setup not ideal? I love the SRC2496, but I have read good things about the Dared.
Its a better dac than my soundcard for sure, its just that I play a lot of games on the pc and I want EAX. So a quality external DAC is a better choice for me. Plus Head-fi forces me to upgrade, damn you head-fi. In any event I bough it from ZZounds for $129 which is not a bad deal. I kinda fell in love once I read all the features.
post #19 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan11003
In any event I bough it from ZZounds for $129 which is not a bad deal. I kinda fell in love once I read all the features.
I fell in love with it for the same reason at first. But the sound is what is really winnng me over at this point!
post #20 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan11003
Its a better dac than my soundcard for sure, its just that I play a lot of games on the pc and I want EAX. So a quality external DAC is a better choice for me. Plus Head-fi forces me to upgrade, damn you head-fi. In any event I bough it from ZZounds for $129 which is not a bad deal. I kinda fell in love once I read all the features.
BTW I have two soundcards in my current setup. The Behringer does not pass through DD5.1 or DTS, from what I can tell. Therefore, I use a Turtle Beach USB for movies and the Sigmatel chip combined with the Behringer for music. The Sony version of the Sigmatel does not do DTS, so I need a separate card for those type of movies. I wanted to upgrade to the E-mu 0404 USB, but it appears to be vaporware at this point.

I found a free program, Quicksoundswitch, that makes switching very easy if you end up using two cards.
post #21 of 34
Got mine a couple of days ago...

sounds great from headphone out (still waiting for XLR to RCA adapters)...

But I noticed something strange on my unit: it gets burning hot on the back panel (only right between the Analog balanced inputs and outputs)... could you notice that as well?

thanks
post #22 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbb
Got mine a couple of days ago...

sounds great from headphone out (still waiting for XLR to RCA adapters)...

But I noticed something strange on my unit: it gets burning hot on the back panel (only right between the Analog balanced inputs and outputs)... could you notice that as well?

thanks
ouch, it is hot. It's as hot as my tube amp.
post #23 of 34
thanks for your reply...

did someone see inside the Ultramatch Pro and could explain "why" this particular area is so hot (do they use it as a heatsink for the chips?)?
post #24 of 34
Thread Starter 
Mine is hot in that spot, too. My guess is that it is the headphone amp, but that is just a guess. The manual does say to allow airflow around the unit, so I am guessing that this is normal. I have had mine on 24 hours a day without any problems thus far.
post #25 of 34
I think my SRC2496's analogue XLR out is too powerful for my Yamaha receiver and its causing it to clip and distort. Anyone has this problem and there a way to solve this issue?
post #26 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
I think my SRC2496's analogue XLR out is too powerful for my Yamaha receiver and its causing it to clip and distort. Anyone has this problem and there a way to solve this issue?
I have not had this problem, but have you tried to lower the gain (the knob next to the headphone volume control)?
post #27 of 34
The gain only applies for analgoue input. It doesnt do anything as I use the digital coaxial input. The main reason I bough it was to make use of its DAC so it'll kinda defeat its purpose if I switch to analogue input. I need to somehow find a transformer to convert from balanced to unbalanced connection. But that will reduce the signal quality and introduce noise. I might end up selling the SRC and pick up a lite-dac ah instead.
post #28 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnet View Post
The gain only applies for analgoue input. It doesnt do anything as I use the digital coaxial input. The main reason I bough it was to make use of its DAC so it'll kinda defeat its purpose if I switch to analogue input. I need to somehow find a transformer to convert from balanced to unbalanced connection. But that will reduce the signal quality and introduce noise. I might end up selling the SRC and pick up a lite-dac ah instead.
Hmmm..I turned my gain all the way up and left it there. I did not know it only controlled analog inputs. It explains why I have not had to mess with it, though.

My Denon receiver does not have balanced inputs, so I had to use RCA adapters. If you can't get it to work properly with your Yamaha, then I do not blame you for sending it back and buying something else.
post #29 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnet View Post
I think my SRC2496's analogue XLR out is too powerful for my Yamaha receiver and its causing it to clip and distort. Anyone has this problem and there a way to solve this issue?
I guess your Yamaha receiver only has unbalanced RCA inputs so I'm assuming you're connecting the SRC2496's analogue XLR outputs via XLR -> RCA cables. Check the wiring of those cables. You can find info in the manual of your Behringer. I had a bit of a similar problem too. By the way: check the numbers on the INSIDE of the XLR plugs. The image in the manual shows the layout of the XLR's from the FRONT and NOT the inside. Maybe this solves your problem too.

Cheers,
Matthieu
post #30 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonesinc View Post
I guess your Yamaha receiver only has unbalanced RCA inputs so I'm assuming you're connecting the SRC2496's analogue XLR outputs via XLR -> RCA cables. Check the wiring of those cables. You can find info in the manual of your Behringer. I had a bit of a similar problem too. By the way: check the numbers on the INSIDE of the XLR plugs. The image in the manual shows the layout of the XLR's from the FRONT and NOT the inside. Maybe this solves your problem too.

Cheers,
Matthieu
How are you liking your SRC2496 other than the wiring issue that you apparently fixed?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Behringer SRC2496 vs Entech Number Cruncher 203.2