Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Yarland P-100
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Yarland P-100 - Page 3

post #31 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post
The Yarland does not come with a 6P14, not sure where you got that. It comes with a 6N3. And I did find the stock chinese EL84's bright, the russian EH output tubes are much smoother. I hope the russian 6N3P I ordered will also be smoother.
Look on the stock Chinese "EL84" tubes and report what the numbers are.
post #32 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davesrose View Post
Or perhaps Fairbanks has his own ears and tastes Still generalizing to push your own amp I see Fairbanks is basing his opinion of his amp on music that he likes and what he's heard. Not by comparing it to what some feel are superior based on their own tastes. Fairbanks statement still stands that you haven't heard the Yarland, so any opinion you have is theory based. The main theory being that it doesn't use the same tube as your Doge so that it has to be inferior. Tubes do have a certain sonic character, but the base amp does too: if a 6P14 sounds too bright on your amp, it doesn't mean it's going to be too bright on other amps.
The sonic character of the tubes can have a dominating effect on the sound - you can make a great tube amp sound bad with a pearticular c0mbo of tubes. A bright harsh tube on one amps is going to be bright and harsh on any amp, unless, the design of the amp is such that it overpowers the sound of the tube so that any tube change has a minor effect on sound (a sign of a bad tube amp), or the harsh tube is combined with others tha tsmooth out the harshness and turn it into good sound.

Skylab reports an improvement of sound in substituting the Chinese 614P with Electro Harmonix - confirms my point and destroys yours (what else is new).

I might buy the Yarland myself and see how good it is. Would prefer to buy one used so i can get rid of it at no loss. Anyone want to sell me a used one?

Glad to see you and sacd lover following my posts to try to refute me - you to are my loyal followers.
post #33 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacd lover View Post
There are LOTS of options for the 5670 tube. All the major tube manufacturers made them .... Tung Sol, Sylvania, RCA, GE and Raytheon. The Western Electric 396a is another popular option and several manufacturers made 2c51's including Bendix, Tung Sol, Sylvania and some European manufacturers like Edison Electric. The Tung Sol 2c51 is a fabulous sounding tube and better than any 12ax7 I have ever heard .... and the Tung Sol 5670 sounds equally good. The 5670 is a very high quality tube that is generally less expensive than the nos 12ax7's. I am using 2c51's in my Singlepower Extremes and the tube is easily my favorite gain tube in these amps.

I believe one should be able to easily find a tube combo that would atleast equal if not exceed the tube combinations available in the Doge amp. The 5670/2c51 is one of the very best sounding tubes I have used and both amps use the same EL 84/ 6BQ5 output tubes.

While I agree poor quality tubes can make even an excellent amp sound wrong. The circuit is still just as critical if not more so .... IMO. Good tubes are not going to make a bad circuit design sound good.

Look on the Xian Sheng link about those who have had some problems with 6N3 and 5670 type tubes.
post #34 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by drarthurwells View Post
Glad to see you and sacd lover following my posts to try to refute me - you to are my loyal followers.
Yes, I am a follower. I'm glad you now trust me!:

Quote:
Originally Posted by drarthurwells View Post

Now, some say there is no difference in tube or solid state sound. I do now trust the opinions of these people in regard to evaluating sound quality - there is a big difference to me. See my Doge link below for some discussion of this matter. These people wil soon follow me to this post and tell you how wrong I am. You might say they are my followers.
Even though you keep screwing up what SACD lover and I are saying (that every amp sounds different, not whether it's tube or ss)....I'm glad you "do now trust" us So go out and stop locking yourself in your room believing your k701 and Doge is the end all be all: compare your music to real life performances. Get some music lessons so you know what treble notes are. That is my profound thought for you
post #35 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by drarthurwells View Post

Glad to see you and sacd lover following my posts to try to refute me - you to are my loyal followers.
I think you are living in a fantasy world Art. Follower, dont flatter yourself .... I am more like a garbage man cleaning up your messes.

Now, did you not ask someone to correct you if you were wrong? So I did. Fact, the 5670 is widely available. Fact, the 5670 is inexpensive @ around $6 each. Fact, the 5670 was made by all the major manufacturers and there many, many types to try.

The 5670 is actually a military sub for the 2c51 and there are a number of excellent 2c51's available to try as well. I have some beautiful gold pin 2c51's that were made in Sweden by Edison Electric .... along with some bullet proof Bendix 2c51's and some US Tung Sol and Sylvania 2c51's. The Western Electric WE396a is another option, that while somewhat pricey, is easy to find. The 2c51/5670 is an awesome tube.
post #36 of 137
Originally Posted by drarthurwells:
Now, some say there is no difference in tube or solid state sound. I do now trust the opinions of these people in regard to evaluating sound quality - there is a big difference to me. See my Doge link below for some discussion of this matter. These people wil soon follow me to this post and tell you how wrong I am. You might say they are my followers.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Davesrose View Post
Yes, I am a follower. I'm glad you now trust me!:

Even though you keep screwing up what SACD lover and I are saying (that every amp sounds different, not whether it's tube or ss)....I'm glad you "do now trust" us So go out and stop locking yourself in your room believing your k701 and Doge is the end all be all: compare your music to real life performances. Get some music lessons so you know what treble notes are. That is my profound thought for you
Yes, that is why solid state wiped out the tube amps 40 years ago, and now there are no tube amps anymore, only solid state. After all, there is no difference between them in terms of sound quality.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=226997
post #37 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post
The Yarland does not come with a 6P14, not sure where you got that. It comes with a 6N3. And I did find the stock chinese EL84's bright, the russian EH output tubes are much smoother. I hope the russian 6N3P I ordered will also be smoother.
Here's what I found for Yarland amp:Power Tube:6P1x2 Voltage Tube:6N3x2
post #38 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by drarthurwells View Post
Look on the stock Chinese "EL84" tubes and report what the numbers are.
They say "EL84". No mention anywhere on the tube AT ALL of 6P14. So this is a concrete example of your asserting something about the Yarland that isn't true.

Some of your comments are welcome, but others are 100% thread crapping. Why you came into a thread about the Yarland in the first place to push your beloved Doge amp is unlear to me.
post #39 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by drarthurwells View Post
Yes, that is why solid state wiped out the tube amps 40 years ago, and now there are no tube amps anymore, only solid state. After all, there is no difference between them in terms of sound quality.
God, for the billionth time....EVERY AMP SOUNDS DIFFERENT!!!!! When did anyone ever say that all tube and SS amps sound the same???????

*edit*
BTW, I never got around to this jewel:

Quote:
Skylab reports an improvement of sound in substituting the Chinese 614P with Electro Harmonix - confirms my point and destroys yours (what else is new).
How does that destroy my point that you're basing the SQ of the Yoland just on your theory of tubes?? And you've never "destroyed" my main points about how you shouldn't form opinions of amps you've never heard, you shouldn't base your assesment of music on the current amp and headphone you own, and that you yourself should learn a musical instrument so that you get a better grasp of musicality??
post #40 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post
They say "EL84". No mention anywhere on the tube AT ALL of 6P14. So this is a concrete example of your asserting something about the Yarland that isn't true.

Some of your comments are welcome, but others are 100% thread crapping. Why you came into a thread about the Yarland in the first place to push your beloved Doge amp is unlear to me.
I got that information directly from China where it originated from.Sound&Vision really wasn't sure because everything written about it was in Chinese and furtheremore why would I make something up when I know nothing about tubes.
post #41 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairbanks View Post
I got that information directly from China where it originated from.Sound&Vision really wasn't sure because everything written about it was in Chinese and furtheremore why would I make something up when I know nothing about tubes.
Whoops,Thought you were talking to me,sorry
post #42 of 137
One of the most noteworthy and widely respected guides for the 12ax7/12at7/12au7/ 6dj8/6922 series of tubes is posted @ audio Asylum and called Joe's Tube Lore.

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/faq...bes.html#12AX7

Here is a short cut to Joe's opinion of the 12ax7 tubes .....

Joe:
Now when it comes to sound quality where do I begin? Well, to my ears - they ALL suck. There, I said it. Even (particularly?) the legendary Telefunkens. How can this be? Well, every 12AX7 I've ever heard has a common sonic character that's drives me to distraction. Specifically, they all sound a bit fuzzy, unfocused and hazy with a subtle sense of a soft sonic haze permeating a soundstage populated with large unfocused images.
post #43 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairbanks View Post
Here's what I found for Yarland amp:Power Tube:6P1x2 Voltage Tube:6N3x2
FYI: 6p1 and el84 are similar, but not the same tube. You should definitely check with your amp uses and replace with the same. 6p14=el84=6bq5 However, the only direct sub for 6p1 is Russian 6p1p AFAIK.

Also, I guess I don't understand the debate in this thread since there are a ton of el84, 6p14p, 6bq5 (6p1 is a different story) and many 2c51/we396a out there, even if there are more types of 12ax7. FWIW, signal to noise will probably always be lower for amps that use 12ax7 than for comparable amps that use different gain tubes. On the flip side, signal to noise isn't as important for tube amps and there must be a reason that so many amps use the 12ax7.
post #44 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by izquierdaste View Post
FYI: 6p1 and el84 are similar, but not the same tube. You should definitely check with your amp uses and replace with the same. 6p14=el84=6bq5 However, the only direct sub for 6p1 is Russian 6p1p AFAIK.

Also, I guess I don't understand the debate in this thread since there are a ton of el84, 6p14p, 6bq5 (6p1 is a different story) and many 2c51/we396a out there, even if there are more types of 12ax7. FWIW, signal to noise will probably always be lower for amps that use 12ax7 than for comparable amps that use different gain tubes. On the flip side, signal to noise isn't as important for tube amps and there must be a reason that so many amps use the 12ax7.
And FWIW, the Yarland comes with EL84's, not 6P14's.

And the "debate" was just one person dissing (unreasonably, IMO) the Yarland for using a 6N3. There was no other debate.
post #45 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post
And FWIW, the Yarland comes with EL84's, not 6P14's.
It sounded like the other owner had 6p1 power tubes. I just didn't want him to damage his amp with el84s (edit: if his amp was in fact shipped with 6p1).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Yarland P-100