Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › KGSS (max'd version) vs. Aristaeus
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

KGSS (max'd version) vs. Aristaeus - Page 7

post #91 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyvn
An ironic possible development, to be sure, if you think about it. In his early electrostatic articles, Kevin Gilmore announced his preference for the SRM-T2 and the SR-Ω as the greatest system ever, together, even better than the Orpheus. The Blue Hawaii was a tribute amp based upon the SRM-T2's design, or at least what Kevin knew about it, along with, of course, much creativity of his own, since he did not own a unit himself, and I'm sure he thought it could, to a degree, be improved upon. So theoretically, it should go Blue Hawaii (T2) > SRM-T2 > HEV90. But now with the addition of the Aristaeus, which is, so to speak, a tribute to the HEV90, we have an even more interesting possible hierarchy of Aristaeus (HEV90) > Blue Hawaii (T2) > SRM-T2 > HEV90. Though of course I'm filling in logical holes, and Kevin never stated explicitly, 'The SRM-T2 is a superior amp to the HEV90,' nor 'The Blue Hawaii is a direct improvement upon the SRM-T2.' Just some interesting implications based on the various articles. Perhaps if the Blue Hawaii were merely an attempted 'approach' and not an attempted improvement, it would go more like Aristaeus - SRM-T2 - HEV90 - Blue Hawaii. Then if you throw the ES-1 into the mix, from which I've heard rumors that it takes a few nods from the Blue Hawaii, we have yet another complication. I guess the best (and only, really) way to sort this all out is to just listen for yourself. As for me, I am glad to have finally found a simple transformer box.
Quality of the parts is just as important as the quality of the topology.
post #92 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl
Quality of the parts is just as important as the quality of the topology.
By that, I assume you're insinuating (or outright stating; I'm not aware of which of these amps you've seen and haven't on the inside) that the SRM-T2 and HEV90 have higher quality parts than their newer brethren?
post #93 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyvn
By that, I assume you're insinuating (or outright stating; I'm not aware of which of these amps you've seen and haven't on the inside) that the SRM-T2 and HEV90 have higher quality parts than their newer brethren?
No idea.

It wouldn't at all suprise me if the Aristaeus has better parts than the HEV90, and as for the KGBH, depends who's building it. I doubt one built for $500 in parts would compare to a T2 tuberolled to perfection, for example.
post #94 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl
No idea.

It wouldn't at all suprise me if the Aristaeus has better parts than the HEV90, and as for the KGBH, depends who's building it. I doubt one built for $500 in parts would compare to a T2 tuberolled to perfection, for example.
The Aristaeus has better parts and a better powersupply so it should be quite a bit better. The T2 was a great amp but a stock Headamp Blue Hawaii has much better parts so it has the potential to beat it. An upgraded amp should leave it in a cloud of dust.
post #95 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritzer
The T2 was a great amp but a stock Headamp Blue Hawaii has much better parts so it has the potential to beat it. An upgraded amp should leave it in a cloud of dust.
From the pictures it looks to me like the T2 has a significantly better power supply and more straightforward gain stages.
post #96 of 104
Thread Starter 
Do we have any impressions of the Aristaeus as a consequence of this past weekend's NYC meet.

Has anyone received this amp for their home use at this point?

Thanks,

Aryaah
post #97 of 104
Look at posts #34, 55, and 82 at the following thread:
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=207106

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryaah
Do we have any impressions of the Aristaeus as a consequence of this past weekend's NYC meet.

Has anyone received this amp for their home use at this point?

Thanks,

Aryaah
post #98 of 104
Thread Starter 
I was hoping for a somewhat more detailed evaluation. I suspect that perhaps the meet setting may not be conducive to an analytical review.

I'll await some of the members' personal experience when they receive their amp.

Thanks to those that expressed their initial experience with the Aristaeus.

Aryaah
post #99 of 104
what are the impressions from the folks who have gotten their Aristaeus amps?
post #100 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp11801
what are the impressions from the folks who have gotten their Aristaeus amps?
AFAIK no one's gotten one yet.

At the NYC meet, Justin reported that he is having problems with the transformers. Basically they burn up. So it's another setback for him and the awaiting public.
post #101 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpelg
AFAIK no one's gotten one yet.

At the NYC meet, Justin reported that he is having problems with the transformers. Basically they burn up. So it's another setback for him and the awaiting public.
man that stinks here to keeping my fingers crossed for Justin and the members that bought one of these amps.
post #102 of 104
Any update on the Aristaeus?
Justin?
post #103 of 104
Think he's gone a little awol. I haven't been able to contact him since Nov 1. The 14+ weeks I've waited are frustrating enough I can't imagine a year

Edit: He's alive! Looks like Justin's been knee deep in KGSS building and mine ships Tuesday
post #104 of 104
Bump...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › KGSS (max'd version) vs. Aristaeus