Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 667

post #9991 of 18411
Quote:
Originally Posted by wazzupi View Post

I want a daughter like yours !!!
Wait 'till yours finds your post! xD
post #9992 of 18411

lol...

post #9993 of 18411
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopanthersgo1 View Post

Wait 'till yours finds your post! xD

Ha,ha!

post #9994 of 18411
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

They are VERY good. I have bought two sets of tubes from this guy and he stands behind his stuff. I have no problem giving my best recommendation. 

They came today and after letting them sit burning in the Lyr for about 4 hours I've listening for about 45 minutes. WOW. What a difference these tubes make! They're liquid and smooth with the HD650 but with plenty of detail, bass impact, and imaging. Compared to the Sylvanias that had been my choice out of three pair I have, these Amperex Oranges are like butter instead of margarine. Crab instead of krab. Champagne instead of Cold Duck. Holy crap, I'm in love man! Thanks again for the recommendation Matt. You were spot-on.

L3000.gif
post #9995 of 18411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry S View Post

Great! I'm very happy with the combination. The power and dynamics are really good. Not quite the resolution and air of a better dac/amp, but very satisfying.

Completely agree. The Magni/Modi pair quite well with the HD650.
post #9996 of 18411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc-holliday View Post

Yussir... thread derailed indeed.
In any case...... Any LYR owners on here get the Magni yet? Been waiting for a decent report on magni+HD650 since it came out. Picked up a modi and prolly gunna grab a magni as well.

Had 'em all. Sold the Magni/Modi. They're great for what they are, but in the end they simply couldn't hold up to the Lyr and my CIAudio DAC paired with the Senns..
post #9997 of 18411
The Lyr is a big step up from the Magni--and it should be for $500 (with good tubes) vs. $100. The Lyr is warmer than the Magni--which isn't better or worse with the HD650, just a preference thing. The biggest difference (to me) is the airier presentation of the Lyr. It opens up the sound and leaves more space around vocals and instruments--resolving smaller details in the recording. I dislike the term soundstage because I see it used very differently, but some people would say the Lyr has a more expansive soundstage. The Magni is a little grainier than the Lyr--think of the difference between the Lyr's stock GE tubes which have some grain and bite as you move into the upper mids vs the more refined signature of the Amperex OG A-frames.

If you're A/B-ing the Lyr and the Magni this stuff is easy to pick out (with a good dac and a top notch recording), but listening to the HD650/Magni on it's own is completely enjoyable.
post #9998 of 18411
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq70 View Post

I have already received my congratulations but...I have decided that I like the overall sound of my Magnum V5s better. HD-650 is second best headphone I've heard so far though! Next I'm going to give the HE-400 a shot!
i think you need to more time to burn in your hd 650 before you can conclude
post #9999 of 18411

Sv: Sennheiser HD650 Appreciation Thread!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Dawk20 View Post

I think in all this arguing, everyone's initial opinion has been lost. Szoze, just restate your full thoughts on the HD650 and leave it at that. If you still think it's trolling after that guys then that's fine. I just think the actual core of this thing has been lost ever since someone attacked his musical preference for whatever reason.


I am not sure if it is worth my time to discuss this particular headphone (HD 650) at all. If thoughts from someone who actually has owned the model in question for 6 years are not appreciated in a thread like this, so be it. I just hope that anyone looking for a headphone well suited for classical music looks elsewhere. Thanks for your concerns.

Skickat från min GT-N7100 via Tapatalk 2
Edited by szoze - 12/30/12 at 3:55am
post #10000 of 18411
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpippel View Post


They came today and after letting them sit burning in the Lyr for about 4 hours I've listening for about 45 minutes. WOW. What a difference these tubes make! They're liquid and smooth with the HD650 but with plenty of detail, bass impact, and imaging. Compared to the Sylvanias that had been my choice out of three pair I have, these Amperex Oranges are like butter instead of margarine. Crab instead of krab. Champagne instead of Cold Duck. Holy crap, I'm in love man! Thanks again for the recommendation Matt. You were spot-on.
L3000.gif

 

Glad that you like them!! The best way to appreciate the change in tubes IMO is to listen to the first set for weeks and have that signature burned into your brain. Then roll the tubes. My mental image of the old sound seem to be at it's best this way. 

 

Anyway, enjoy!!

post #10001 of 18411

Hmm looks like Magni is a good pair with HD650 yes? I would love to try it when there's a demo unit in my country since my next cans will be senns ( either 600/650)

post #10002 of 18411
Quote:
Originally Posted by szoze View Post


I am not sure if it is worth my time to discuss this particular headphone (HD 650) at all. If thoughts from someone who actually has owned the model in question for 6 years are not appreciated in a thread like this, so be it. I just hope that anyone looking for a headphone well suited for classical music looks elsewhere. Thanks for your concerns.
Skickat från min GT-N7100 via Tapatalk 2

I only asked what kind of music he liked and when he said classical, I figured the reason he doesn't enjoy the hd650 as much as most of us in here is because he prefers classical music, I mean my statement doesn't attack him or his preferences... it just imo states the obvious.... when I want to listen to classical music I would invest in something else... for me personally ? hd800.

post #10003 of 18411
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpippel View Post

Had 'em all. Sold the Magni/Modi. They're great for what they are, but in the end they simply couldn't hold up to the Lyr and my CIAudio DAC paired with the Senns..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry S View Post

The Lyr is a big step up from the Magni--and it should be for $500 (with good tubes) vs. $100. The Lyr is warmer than the Magni--which isn't better or worse with the HD650, just a preference thing. The biggest difference (to me) is the airier presentation of the Lyr. It opens up the sound and leaves more space around vocals and instruments--resolving smaller details in the recording. I dislike the term soundstage because I see it used very differently, but some people would say the Lyr has a more expansive soundstage. The Magni is a little grainier than the Lyr--think of the difference between the Lyr's stock GE tubes which have some grain and bite as you move into the upper mids vs the more refined signature of the Amperex OG A-frames.
If you're A/B-ing the Lyr and the Magni this stuff is easy to pick out (with a good dac and a top notch recording), but listening to the HD650/Magni on it's own is completely enjoyable.

Thanks for your thots on this. I think i might go ahead and try one out and see how i like it in comparison.
post #10004 of 18411

Thinking of pulling the trigger on these headphones.

 

I mainly listen to hip-hop/rap, R&B, and some electronic music

 

Will these headphones be a good fit according to those genres?

post #10005 of 18411
Quote:
Originally Posted by htxmade View Post

Thinking of pulling the trigger on these headphones.

 

I mainly listen to hip-hop/rap, R&B, and some electronic music

 

Will these headphones be a good fit according to those genres?

 

 

the 650s are great all rounders.. not sure on electronica though for you.. u may want v shape headphones for that genre imo

 

what headphones have u listened to? 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread