or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 65

post #961 of 36831
Quote:
Originally Posted by debitsohn View Post
upgrading already?!
lol im really curious about denons more than the k701s. but thats just me.
Okay. I'll be honest. The K701 won't really be an upgrade. It's just another flavor of open cans. The D5000 really will be the upgrade. I was thinking the D7000, but that's in the price range of the HD800... Especially if it's Markl modded.
post #962 of 36831
it is maybe the tenth time I am getting back to this thread and this headphone. I was very disappointed from the bass response,but suprisingly I am listening right now with my headroom ultra micro stack, which is the most neutral combination from all my gear, and the bass is very nice and deep.

for the first time I can feel the "veil" and the overwhelming bass everybody is talking about.
I guess that burn in did take place (or maybe because i boosted their bass with EQ for the past month) because they certainly didn't sound like this until now, that's for sure. I almost sold them,but now am kind of glad that no one have showed interest
I can keep investigate them some more. but for the record...I still don't think they are good as the D5000, sorry. but they are terrific sounding and got their own signature which is dark and nice.
post #963 of 36831
There is no way it would be even with the D5000, especially one with a Markl mod. It won't even come close to touching the D7000 at that. lol
post #964 of 36831

Agreed.

Owning both, I agree.
post #965 of 36831
Quote:
Originally Posted by plonter View Post
They are terrific sounding and got their own signature which is dark and nice.
Yes it kind of bugged me at first but after a good listening session [4 hours] I started to like it. Now I thoroughly enjoy them
post #966 of 36831
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomijiTMO View Post
Yes it kind of bugged me at first but after a good listening session [4 hours] I started to like it. Now I thoroughly enjoy them
Welcome to the dark side. No pun intended.
post #967 of 36831
I just got a pair of well-loved HD650's and have to say I love them. They are missing their foam, which might be a reason why I don't think they are overly bassy nor veiled. My only other reference is the SRH840's (still love them), so my impressions may be different from others, but I like them so far. In fact, I would be hesitant to even try something like the K701's at this point because I don't think I would like anything with more treble or dryness or lack of warmth. I am doing a fancy recable as soon as I have all the parts to see how it changes the sound.

Oh, and they sound great with my Bravo amp. Can't handle anything past about 9:30 on my volume knob as it starts to hurt my ears.
post #968 of 36831
I am really enjoying my HD650 the last few days. they are finally settled and i "grew" on them apparentely .
anyway, some time before I really thought they were unbassy and too aggresive in the mids and highs so i used an EQ for a while with my computer.
anyway..it was nice for a while,but I always was unsatisfied with every combination i tried..the bass was really massive (because i made it that way) but there was something unreal to it...not like the D5000 at all. and also the mids and highs sounded bad, that's because my computer sounds like crap.

so I came back to my regular rig, without any EQ, and AH...that's much much better, and guess what..the bass is right on the spot for me right now.
I think i will never use EQ again (but don't take me on that).
please forgive me my non-EQing friends cause i've sinned
they sound good as they are, without any EQ. like every other good pair of headphones. but we learn from every thing we do and try.
post #969 of 36831
Quote:
Originally Posted by FraGGleR View Post
I just got a pair of well-loved HD650's and have to say I love them. They are missing their foam, which might be a reason why I don't think they are overly bassy nor veiled. My only other reference is the SRH840's (still love them), so my impressions may be different from others, but I like them so far. In fact, I would be hesitant to even try something like the K701's at this point because I don't think I would like anything with more treble or dryness or lack of warmth. I am doing a fancy recable as soon as I have all the parts to see how it changes the sound.

Oh, and they sound great with my Bravo amp. Can't handle anything past about 9:30 on my volume knob as it starts to hurt my ears.
Are they the new version? If so, without the foam, they sound very much like the K701. Yes it has slightly more emphasis on the treble but it's not much. So if I were you, I'd try and go to a meet and hear that phone to hear the difference in soundstage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by plonter View Post
I am really enjoying my HD650 the last few days. they are finally settled and i "grew" on them apparentely .
anyway, some time before I really thought they were unbassy and too aggresive in the mids and highs so i used an EQ for a while with my computer.
anyway..it was nice for a while,but I always was unsatisfied with every combination i tried..the bass was really massive (because i made it that way) but there was something unreal to it...not like the D5000 at all. and also the mids and highs sounded bad, that's because my computer sounds like crap.

so I came back to my regular rig, without any EQ, and AH...that's much much better, and guess what..the bass is right on the spot for me right now.
I think i will never use EQ again (but don't take me on that).
please forgive me my non-EQing friends cause i've sinned
they sound good as they are, without any EQ. like every other good pair of headphones. but we learn from every thing we do and try.
EQing can be good. When I was using my STX I was able to put a bit more mid bass to make the K701 more natural sounding which was quite pleasing. However, when you start making significant changes, things go south fast. Now I'm not using any EQ either and I'm still happy with the K701.

Oh and all phones grow on you. Sell them fast lol.
post #970 of 36831
I know this is the Sennheiser thread and all, but I think being a senn thread I'll get a better response (K701 fans won't be here to champion its plus points )

How much like the Shure E3C do the AKG K701s sound?

The 701 is billed as a studio monitor, so all the stuff I've read about it being 'analytical' makes sense. I once bought the E3Cs even after reading about their bass-shy, rolled off highs, mid-centric nature, and really disliked them. It was like half the music wasn't there!! Vocals and acoustic guitar was really special on the E3C, but that was it, there was no competence with other music! I replaced them with the E4C which sound full and well rounded, when I first listened to them the sound was at once pleasing and familiar in comparison to my HD555s.

What worries me is that in reading about the K701 I'm seeing a similarity. People complaining there's no bass, bass without impact but still very present (quantity/quality), 300 hour burn in times, etc. While I can get the K701s locally for $425CDN, I will have to get the HD650s online at $475 including shipping.

I'm looking to buy either the HD600/650 or the K701 as one swift, final jump from my HD555s into 'high-end' headphones and just stop.

I've read that the HD6xx line scales brilliantly with upstream components, but I haven't found anything similar regarding the K701, in fact it seems that the K701 will only even sound good after dropping $500 on an amp.

Sorry about beating a dead horse, but K701 was hugely FOTM when it came out but the HD600 has been trucking like its 1996.
post #971 of 36831
I happen to have both the HD650 and the K701 and am not very far into my musical journey so take what I say lightly.

I'm not too sure why people say the K701 removes emotion from the music as it is too detailed. I think of extra detail that as an advantage. As for the HD650 making things sound the same - well there is some truth to that. Comparing bass between the newer HD650 and the K701 has the HD650 in front with better impact. However, neither are anything like the bass from my SRH840 which to me is natural[listening to kick drums - played drums for a while].

From your post, it seems you should go with the Senns. There are a lot of people who like them over the K701s which do have a harsh treble. Luckily for me I can't hear past 16kHz so they sound great to me.
post #972 of 36831

K701s

Funny, because I also own both and prefer the K701s. If they are burned in properly for about 300 hours there is no harshness in the treble. I have recently burned in a second pair and did find them spikey in the highs right out of the box, but after the 250-300 hour mark they really tamed down.

I prefer the soundstage of these babies and they are incredibly musical. They simply stand out of the way and let the music speak for itself.

Don't get me wrong, I am a huge fan of my HD650s, I just prefer the K701s.

So there you have it, two exactly opposite opinions, so my suggestion is to go trial both out for yourself and let your ears decide (they'll have to live with your decision!).
post #973 of 36831
Well I'm not a believer in burn in and my cans have probably just under or around 100 hours SOOOOOOOOOOOOO if there is some burn in magic, then I've yet to reach that mark.

Oh and we both prefer the K701.
post #974 of 36831
Can someone tell me how to remove foam from headband? I will replace it but i dnot know how to remove this foam... Is there some clip?

Thanks...
post #975 of 36831
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomijiTMO View Post
From your post, it seems you should go with the Senns. There are a lot of people who like them over the K701s which do have a harsh treble. Luckily for me I can't hear past 16kHz so they sound great to me.
The k701s harsh treble is around the 7khz region. I dont think I can even hear any air from those cans past 14khz. Its bone dry IMO. The senn hd580/hd600 are sparklier on top IMO than the 701s but the 701s are brighter(meaning lower treble peaks)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread