- 4,928 Posts. Joined 5/2004
- Location: Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 5/6/10
Related Forum Threads
- Desktop or Portable Amp/DAC for Sennheiser HD650 Last post on 5/14/15 at 9:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphone Results With The Pono (or other DAPs) Last post on 6/3/15 at 12:39am in Headphones (full-size)
- Flattest, Most Neutral IEMs For Recording, Mixing, and Mastering Last post on 2/19/15 at 11:24am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Sennheiser HD650 vs AKG K7XX Last post on 7/9/15 at 1:29am in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD650 Sub Bass Last post on 5/13/15 at 8:09am in Headphones (full-size)
Not too long ago, I was a lowly noob looking for my first headphones. I waded through the murky waters of terminology I couldn’t understand and brands I’d never heard of before. Over time, some...
Eddie Current's Zana Deux reviewed... Pre-amble - the Zana Deux original vs the new Zana Deux Super... - There are two versions of this tube amplifier. Both are output transformerless (OTL)...
This review will cover the X5ii, comparing it to the Pono player and the original X5. I have a Pono in my possession now. I unfortunately sold my original X5 prior to receiving the review sample,...
Alright, so I am not an audiophile by any means, my entire experience of headphelia is just using cheap IEMs but after trying some expensive beats, I knew I needed something more. And if your like...
This is a review of Audeze EL-8C closed back planar magnetic full size headphones: https://www.audeze.com/products/el-8-collection/el-8-closed-back, with a bonus review of Audeze Deckard desktop...
Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 629
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I though tit was in the exact opposite order
I upgraded my dac once and it actually made me go from despising a HP/amp combo to kinda liking it (amp still wasn't my taste but it was a lot better still). Then again, it was from a FiiO E7 (~$100) to a PS Audio DLIII (then retail $800, $500 used). I think if you want higher quality sound (not a SS change) and your headphones aren't obviously the limiting factor an amp or DAC upgrade may be good to try first. Especially with the 650s ;)
It is important to note that following the HP>AMP>DAC order of importance, the pairing between different devices is still important. You could swap out your DAC and get a major improvement if it was a bad pairing to begin with. The headphone, like speakers, is the most important. Simply because if they suck, that will be the limiting factor for the entire system. Next up would be power. Without enough power, and quality power at that, you cannot drive your headphones adequately. Lastly, the DAC is "least important", simply because it makes the smallest margin of difference. Even a basic DAC is miles above the generic units in most of our sources. I liken a DAC to an air intake on a car. It makes an improvement for a high performance engine, but if everything sucks down the line you won't even notice it. I think this is what MattTCG was getting at. Correct me if I'm wrong, though!
I like her "Make Someone Happy" and "Take Love Easy" albums. The new one "In the Moonlight" is decent and available @ HD tracks in 24/96 I think.
Don't look forward either or you'll need to have something more expensive and sooner than you planned.
I have already received my congratulations but...I have decided that I like the overall sound of my Magnum V5s better. HD-650 is second best headphone I've heard so far though! Next I'm going to give the HE-400 a shot!
IMO opinion always upgrade in this order: hp>amp>dac. So I wouldn't worry too much about the dac unless you are having jitter or playback issues. I have owned several of the LD amps and the lyr is much better to my ears. I have not owned any of the others that you mention although I hear that the Woo stuff is very nice. The lyr has curbed my appetite to get newer amps. It's just a beast of a pairing.
I have a different experienced. Just like the Lyr, which I also have, the LD MKIV SE needs a better tube. What tubes did you try on the LD's?
Last Thanksgiving, I have 2 people tried the LYR and the LD OTL using the same DAC(Bifrost) driving HD650/Q701. The OTL wins 2-0 with jazz, classical, and pop. For rock, techno, and trance the Lyr had the edge according to the listeners especially using the Q701(it transformed the HP IMO). To me, it does not matter, as I enjoy them both, equally.
Speaking of the Lyr, IMO, it's a good amp for the HD650. Having said that, I do not shoot for the "do it all" approach in my HP applications. I have my High Efficiency/horns/DHT SET system that I do not think a headphone system can ever match. Certain amps works for certain HP's on many variables that changes from system to system. The OTL , which you do not like compared to your Lyr has a different sound than hybrid(Mosfet currentdriver/tube voltage driver) circuit. But, I can assure you that the hybrid Lyr will never achieve the tone of the LD OTL and of course, same is true for the latter to the former in brute force.
- Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
- › New Sony EX450 and EX650. 14 seconds ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 17 seconds ago
- › "The Lab" 31 seconds ago
- › Crack;Bottlehead OTL 1 minute ago
- › Three Word Story 1 minute ago
- › REVIEW: Fischer Audio FA-002W High Edition 2 minutes ago
- › UpTone Audio USB REGEN 3 minutes ago
- › OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread 4 minutes ago
- › 2359glenn | studio 4 minutes ago
- › Custom Art Ei.3 or Noble 3 Universal 6 minutes ago
- › Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon by Stillhart
- › Eddie Current Zana Deux SE by mikoss
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by fleasbaby
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by LandonO
- › Audeze EL-8 Closed-Back by twister6
- › Yamaha HPH-MT220BL by RushNerd
- › Klipsch Image X10 Noise-Isolating Earphone by achelgeson
- › Fidue A73 Hybrid Monitor Earphones with universal single button... by krishtrinity1
- › Philips SHE3590BK/10 In-Ear Headphones (Black) by nauhid
- › SoundMAGIC E50 / E50S by RedJohn456
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3