- 4,947 Posts. Joined 5/2004
- Location: Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 5/6/10
Related Forum Threads
- HD 650s keep breaking, is it my own ignorace? Last post on 4/4/16 at 6:23pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Desktop or Portable Amp/DAC for Sennheiser HD650 Last post on 8/14/15 at 3:54am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphone Results With The Pono (or other DAPs) Last post on 12/23/15 at 9:48am in Headphones (full-size)
- Flattest, Most Neutral IEMs For Recording, Mixing, and Mastering Last post on 2/19/15 at 11:24am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Sennheiser HD650 vs AKG K7XX Last post on 5/21/16 at 11:48pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
It was raining, and I mean really raining. This was a problem as I really wanted to listen Radiohead's new album ( A Moon Shaped Pool) on my always seemingly endless commute to work. The first part...
I bought this ckr9ltd from AliExpress for 47USD, less than the usual 120USD RRP. Few fellow buyer with original ckr9ltd claimed that this is a real deal. I have no problem whatsoever to believe...
Disclamer. I provided these Sony Z5 for myself just for the sheer sound of it. These were not given to me for any type of review. I am writing these impressions of these works of art due...
Background I ordered my pair of AAW A3H Pros during Black Friday weekend 2015 at a certain group-buying website, hoping to get my feet wet in the world of customs at a price that wouldn't break...
REVIEW - Fiio EM3 Fiio is not a company that needs any introduction. Known for its wide and affordable large Amp and DAC line, and well regarded since the release of the first DAP...
Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 629
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I though tit was in the exact opposite order
I upgraded my dac once and it actually made me go from despising a HP/amp combo to kinda liking it (amp still wasn't my taste but it was a lot better still). Then again, it was from a FiiO E7 (~$100) to a PS Audio DLIII (then retail $800, $500 used). I think if you want higher quality sound (not a SS change) and your headphones aren't obviously the limiting factor an amp or DAC upgrade may be good to try first. Especially with the 650s ;)
It is important to note that following the HP>AMP>DAC order of importance, the pairing between different devices is still important. You could swap out your DAC and get a major improvement if it was a bad pairing to begin with. The headphone, like speakers, is the most important. Simply because if they suck, that will be the limiting factor for the entire system. Next up would be power. Without enough power, and quality power at that, you cannot drive your headphones adequately. Lastly, the DAC is "least important", simply because it makes the smallest margin of difference. Even a basic DAC is miles above the generic units in most of our sources. I liken a DAC to an air intake on a car. It makes an improvement for a high performance engine, but if everything sucks down the line you won't even notice it. I think this is what MattTCG was getting at. Correct me if I'm wrong, though!
I like her "Make Someone Happy" and "Take Love Easy" albums. The new one "In the Moonlight" is decent and available @ HD tracks in 24/96 I think.
Don't look forward either or you'll need to have something more expensive and sooner than you planned.
I have already received my congratulations but...I have decided that I like the overall sound of my Magnum V5s better. HD-650 is second best headphone I've heard so far though! Next I'm going to give the HE-400 a shot!
IMO opinion always upgrade in this order: hp>amp>dac. So I wouldn't worry too much about the dac unless you are having jitter or playback issues. I have owned several of the LD amps and the lyr is much better to my ears. I have not owned any of the others that you mention although I hear that the Woo stuff is very nice. The lyr has curbed my appetite to get newer amps. It's just a beast of a pairing.
I have a different experienced. Just like the Lyr, which I also have, the LD MKIV SE needs a better tube. What tubes did you try on the LD's?
Last Thanksgiving, I have 2 people tried the LYR and the LD OTL using the same DAC(Bifrost) driving HD650/Q701. The OTL wins 2-0 with jazz, classical, and pop. For rock, techno, and trance the Lyr had the edge according to the listeners especially using the Q701(it transformed the HP IMO). To me, it does not matter, as I enjoy them both, equally.
Speaking of the Lyr, IMO, it's a good amp for the HD650. Having said that, I do not shoot for the "do it all" approach in my HP applications. I have my High Efficiency/horns/DHT SET system that I do not think a headphone system can ever match. Certain amps works for certain HP's on many variables that changes from system to system. The OTL , which you do not like compared to your Lyr has a different sound than hybrid(Mosfet currentdriver/tube voltage driver) circuit. But, I can assure you that the hybrid Lyr will never achieve the tone of the LD OTL and of course, same is true for the latter to the former in brute force.
- Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
- › Gustard X20 DAC 29 seconds ago
- › FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android + Amp Module... 31 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser Momentum impressions thread 2 minutes ago
- › Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones 3 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 4 minutes ago
- › The Ear Pads Thread 11 minutes ago
- › Ihifi 770 & 770c Thread 13 minutes ago
- › Rose (弱水) Technology Discussion & Impressions Thread 13 minutes ago
- › New Audio Technica ATH-M50x with Removable Cable 16 minutes ago
- › Introducing the new Continental V5 portable tube amp 17 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser CX 5.00G Black In-Ear Canal Headset by Slaphead
- › Audio-Technica ATH CKR9 LTD by AzimAkbar
- › Sony XBA-Z5 Ultimate Hi-Res In Ear Headphone by Dsnuts
- › AAW A3H Pro Custom In-Ear Monitor by tz0531
- › FiiO EM3 Open Earbud Earphones with In-Line Microphone (Black) by Zelda
- › Aurisonics Rockets Solo Precision Micro-Dynamic Noise Isolating... by Voyageur
- › W4S Recovery USB Reclocker by leeperry
- › Somic v2 by mark2410
- › Jays q-JAYS v2.0 by NeObliviscaris
- › Rockit Sounds R-50 by avocadobeats123
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...