- 4,947 Posts. Joined 5/2004
- Location: Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 5/6/10
Related Forum Threads
- HD 650s keep breaking, is it my own ignorace? Last post on 4/4/16 at 6:23pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Desktop or Portable Amp/DAC for Sennheiser HD650 Last post on 8/14/15 at 3:54am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphone Results With The Pono (or other DAPs) Last post on 12/23/15 at 9:48am in Headphones (full-size)
- Flattest, Most Neutral IEMs For Recording, Mixing, and Mastering Last post on 2/19/15 at 11:24am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Sennheiser HD650 vs AKG K7XX Last post on 3/20/16 at 11:17pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
MrSpeakers Alpha Dog: A reference class Dog Introduction First, a disclaimer: I purchased the Alpha Dogs ($499USD, discontinued) with my own money after doing my own research and thus this is my...
Hi everyone, Before I start the review, I would like to thank Campfire Audio for making this awesome IEM, and also to d marc0 for inviting me in the tour. INTRODUCTION I'm an Indonesian...
For larger views of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual images INTRODUCTION This is going to be a long review – I'll get that out up front. My time with the U6 has been a...
DOI: I don't get to listen to new gear a lot so I may not be any use at answering questions about comparisons to anything other than my own stuff (which may or may not be considered esoteric). I...
Just on sound quality, meh. It's very quiet, and detailed, but on my main headphones, AKG K712, the mid-treble balance is just too bright. The bass is nice and deep and honest, and midrange is OK,...
Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 629
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I though tit was in the exact opposite order
I upgraded my dac once and it actually made me go from despising a HP/amp combo to kinda liking it (amp still wasn't my taste but it was a lot better still). Then again, it was from a FiiO E7 (~$100) to a PS Audio DLIII (then retail $800, $500 used). I think if you want higher quality sound (not a SS change) and your headphones aren't obviously the limiting factor an amp or DAC upgrade may be good to try first. Especially with the 650s ;)
It is important to note that following the HP>AMP>DAC order of importance, the pairing between different devices is still important. You could swap out your DAC and get a major improvement if it was a bad pairing to begin with. The headphone, like speakers, is the most important. Simply because if they suck, that will be the limiting factor for the entire system. Next up would be power. Without enough power, and quality power at that, you cannot drive your headphones adequately. Lastly, the DAC is "least important", simply because it makes the smallest margin of difference. Even a basic DAC is miles above the generic units in most of our sources. I liken a DAC to an air intake on a car. It makes an improvement for a high performance engine, but if everything sucks down the line you won't even notice it. I think this is what MattTCG was getting at. Correct me if I'm wrong, though!
I like her "Make Someone Happy" and "Take Love Easy" albums. The new one "In the Moonlight" is decent and available @ HD tracks in 24/96 I think.
Don't look forward either or you'll need to have something more expensive and sooner than you planned.
I have already received my congratulations but...I have decided that I like the overall sound of my Magnum V5s better. HD-650 is second best headphone I've heard so far though! Next I'm going to give the HE-400 a shot!
IMO opinion always upgrade in this order: hp>amp>dac. So I wouldn't worry too much about the dac unless you are having jitter or playback issues. I have owned several of the LD amps and the lyr is much better to my ears. I have not owned any of the others that you mention although I hear that the Woo stuff is very nice. The lyr has curbed my appetite to get newer amps. It's just a beast of a pairing.
I have a different experienced. Just like the Lyr, which I also have, the LD MKIV SE needs a better tube. What tubes did you try on the LD's?
Last Thanksgiving, I have 2 people tried the LYR and the LD OTL using the same DAC(Bifrost) driving HD650/Q701. The OTL wins 2-0 with jazz, classical, and pop. For rock, techno, and trance the Lyr had the edge according to the listeners especially using the Q701(it transformed the HP IMO). To me, it does not matter, as I enjoy them both, equally.
Speaking of the Lyr, IMO, it's a good amp for the HD650. Having said that, I do not shoot for the "do it all" approach in my HP applications. I have my High Efficiency/horns/DHT SET system that I do not think a headphone system can ever match. Certain amps works for certain HP's on many variables that changes from system to system. The OTL , which you do not like compared to your Lyr has a different sound than hybrid(Mosfet currentdriver/tube voltage driver) circuit. But, I can assure you that the hybrid Lyr will never achieve the tone of the LD OTL and of course, same is true for the latter to the former in brute force.
- Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
- › iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW ... 21 seconds ago
- › ROCK Zircon + Mula IEM Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Recommendation for Headphones similar to ie800 1 minute ago
- › The Touhou AND Vocaloid music thread! 3 minutes ago
- › AUDIO over IP - the coming wave! The AES67 and AVB Ethernet... 3 minutes ago
- › Pictures of your computer rigs! Post them here! 3 minutes ago
- › Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition 3 minutes ago
- › Are the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 earcups large enough? 3 minutes ago
- › Alpha & Delta D2 Impressions 4 minutes ago
- › Show us your vintage headphones! 4 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (T50RP Mod) by k4rstar
- › Campfire Audio Orion by emptymt
- › 64 Audio (1964 Ears) ADEL U6 by Brooko
- › Sennheiser IE 8 In-Ear Headphones by Docjitters
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by eriksq
- › MusicMaker TK13 by Paulpark222
- › Philips SHP9500 by Mosauwer
- › MEE Audio RX18 Comfort-Fit In-Ear Headphones with Enhanced Bass... by peter123
- › Schiit Magni 2 by Aornic
- › FiiO EM3 Open Earbud Earphones with In-Line Microphone (Black) by Dobrescu George
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse