- 4,928 Posts. Joined 5/2004
- Location: Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 5/6/10
Related Forum Threads
- Desktop or Portable Amp/DAC for Sennheiser HD650 Last post on 5/14/15 at 9:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphone Results With The Pono (or other DAPs) Last post on 5/19/15 at 5:25am in Headphones (full-size)
- Flattest, Most Neutral IEMs For Recording, Mixing, and Mastering Last post on 2/19/15 at 11:24am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Sennheiser HD650 vs AKG K7XX Last post on 4/21/15 at 11:57pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD650 Sub Bass Last post on 5/13/15 at 8:09am in Headphones (full-size)
First and foremost, a big thank you to those at Noble Audio who has sent me a unit to review. The Noble Audio customer service experience has been a joy to behold. Brannan is always on hand to deal...
I bought these from the limited selection available at an Apple Store, as I was heading on a trip the next day and needed some new IEMs for the plane ride. I read some reviews and noticed a lot of...
I got a sansa clip+ for my pair of custom iems. Really small, really portable, big nice clip to clip on something while training. Almost perfect sound, some audible noise (really really low, like...
overall nice headphones, with proper bass and sound and i am still burning it, rest of things i will discuss after complete burning process
I had to finally put my Shure E4Cs to rest and have been on the search for months to find a replacement. I like sub bass and a balanced sound and value build quality. My Shures were built tough...
Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 629
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I though tit was in the exact opposite order
I upgraded my dac once and it actually made me go from despising a HP/amp combo to kinda liking it (amp still wasn't my taste but it was a lot better still). Then again, it was from a FiiO E7 (~$100) to a PS Audio DLIII (then retail $800, $500 used). I think if you want higher quality sound (not a SS change) and your headphones aren't obviously the limiting factor an amp or DAC upgrade may be good to try first. Especially with the 650s ;)
It is important to note that following the HP>AMP>DAC order of importance, the pairing between different devices is still important. You could swap out your DAC and get a major improvement if it was a bad pairing to begin with. The headphone, like speakers, is the most important. Simply because if they suck, that will be the limiting factor for the entire system. Next up would be power. Without enough power, and quality power at that, you cannot drive your headphones adequately. Lastly, the DAC is "least important", simply because it makes the smallest margin of difference. Even a basic DAC is miles above the generic units in most of our sources. I liken a DAC to an air intake on a car. It makes an improvement for a high performance engine, but if everything sucks down the line you won't even notice it. I think this is what MattTCG was getting at. Correct me if I'm wrong, though!
I like her "Make Someone Happy" and "Take Love Easy" albums. The new one "In the Moonlight" is decent and available @ HD tracks in 24/96 I think.
Don't look forward either or you'll need to have something more expensive and sooner than you planned.
I have already received my congratulations but...I have decided that I like the overall sound of my Magnum V5s better. HD-650 is second best headphone I've heard so far though! Next I'm going to give the HE-400 a shot!
IMO opinion always upgrade in this order: hp>amp>dac. So I wouldn't worry too much about the dac unless you are having jitter or playback issues. I have owned several of the LD amps and the lyr is much better to my ears. I have not owned any of the others that you mention although I hear that the Woo stuff is very nice. The lyr has curbed my appetite to get newer amps. It's just a beast of a pairing.
I have a different experienced. Just like the Lyr, which I also have, the LD MKIV SE needs a better tube. What tubes did you try on the LD's?
Last Thanksgiving, I have 2 people tried the LYR and the LD OTL using the same DAC(Bifrost) driving HD650/Q701. The OTL wins 2-0 with jazz, classical, and pop. For rock, techno, and trance the Lyr had the edge according to the listeners especially using the Q701(it transformed the HP IMO). To me, it does not matter, as I enjoy them both, equally.
Speaking of the Lyr, IMO, it's a good amp for the HD650. Having said that, I do not shoot for the "do it all" approach in my HP applications. I have my High Efficiency/horns/DHT SET system that I do not think a headphone system can ever match. Certain amps works for certain HP's on many variables that changes from system to system. The OTL , which you do not like compared to your Lyr has a different sound than hybrid(Mosfet currentdriver/tube voltage driver) circuit. But, I can assure you that the hybrid Lyr will never achieve the tone of the LD OTL and of course, same is true for the latter to the former in brute force.
- Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 12 seconds ago
- › Stax 727 Voltage Conversion 100 to 117 (Help) 1 minute ago
- › MCINTOSH LABS INTRODUCES NEW HEADPHONE AMP MODEL MHA 100 2 minutes ago
- › Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign 2 minutes ago
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion + Tour Application... 2 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 3 minutes ago
- › Chi Unify 9 when and where? 4 minutes ago
- › PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player 4 minutes ago
- › [Headphone Help] Looking for a follow-up to the ATH-M50. Preferably... 6 minutes ago
- › The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio Savant by uchihaitachi
- › RHA T10i by zim2411
- › SanDisk Sansa Clip+ 8 GB MP3 Player (Black) by ardacer
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by sagar khichi
- › RHA MA750i by Onthecoast
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by YoYo JoKeR
- › Brainwavz BLU-100 Bluetooth IEMs by JoeDoe
- › Edifier Hi-Fi Stereo Headphone (H180 Black) by sharonbava
- › Ultimate Ears 200vi Noise-Isolating Headset, Blue by dkshifat
- › T-Peos Altone 150 in-ear monitor with detachable cables, mic and... by Hisoundfi
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2