Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 620

post #9286 of 18957

Don't forget the dual entry removable cable, it just screams class.

post #9287 of 18957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Signals View Post

Don't forget the dual entry removable cable, it just screams class.

LOL CANT LEAVE THAT OUT !

post #9288 of 18957
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Dawk20 View Post

Well I guess now that I've run into some money, I might actually consider buying an HD650. RIght now it's between this the HD600 and the DT880 250ohm(my Maverick D1 seems to of had trouble with 600ohm cans in the past). I just can't really decide which to go for. Since this is gonna be my next main headphone I need it to be versatile to an extent seeing as I have an extremely wide range of tastes but at the same time I really want a headphone that while isn't extremely colored, has a real sense of musicality and an emotive sound to it...I just dunno where to go -_-

 

You want the HD600 !!!   Oh this isn't the HD600 appreciation thread?   NOOOOO,   don't hurt me ..................

post #9289 of 18957
Thanks for some reassurance guys. The one thing that is keeping the 600 in the race is that I always seem to hear people refer to the 600 as the more neutral version of thr 650 but at the same time, I'm unsure if I am going to want that and sacrifice a more immersive and euphonic headphone.

Also apart of me is somewhat worried about the D1 but I did try an HD650 into it once and it seemed to pair well at least from a power standpoint. That and the D1 was apparently tuned with the 650 so thats reassuring. I still got more research to do but for now the 650 seems to be the front runner. Also, I know people claim that the sennheiser song does not fit really fast paced music like speed metal and such but how does it go for your average everyday upbeat rock or pop song? Maybe the smoothness is ovrr exaggerated to an extent?
post #9290 of 18957
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Dawk20 View Post

Thanks for some reassurance guys. The one thing that is keeping the 600 in the race is that I always seem to hear people refer to the 600 as the more neutral version of thr 650 but at the same time, I'm unsure if I am going to want that and sacrifice a more immersive and euphonic headphone.
Also apart of me is somewhat worried about the D1 but I did try an HD650 into it once and it seemed to pair well at least from a power standpoint. That and the D1 was apparently tuned with the 650 so thats reassuring. I still got more research to do but for now the 650 seems to be the front runner. Also, I know people claim that the sennheiser song does not fit really fast paced music like speed metal and such but how does it go for your average everyday upbeat rock or pop song? Maybe the smoothness is ovrr exaggerated to an extent?

 

If I asked you: what do you prefer for speed metal, a somewhat darker, warmer sounding headphone or a more aggressive, forward and brighter sounding headphone; what would your answer be?

 

If I am any judge on people, you'd probably tell me you wouldn't know and that you first needed to hear how it actually sounded.

 

If you however feel confident that you can answer that question right away, then you have your answer right there :).

post #9291 of 18957

Personally I don't care what genre it is, I just like how the 650's sound period. I like how I can always fall back on its sound signature, which to me is absolutely stunning. No matter the music, the highs will basically never be fatiguing, the mids will always be rich and the bass will always be appreciably prominent. I don't really believe they're "not fast enough" for certain genres. My experience with these headphones is that stuff that is meant to sound fast will sound fast, nothing more.

Finding out the truth for yourself will be the ultimate service you can do for yourself. I've heard people call the HD650's bright, dark, bass-light, bass-heavy, with rolled off treble, with too strong treble with certain tubes on their tube amp, with a nice 3d sound stage, with a lacking soundstage, warm, analytical, muddy, detailed...

 

You get the picture.


Edited by Nirvana Woman - 12/8/12 at 2:25am
post #9292 of 18957

^^ Good point and well put. biggrin.gif If someone ask me what my 10 year plan is, I'd tell them to still be listening to the 650!!

post #9293 of 18957

^ x2 and I also I agree with Nirvana Woman, descriptions of the HD650 are all over the map sometimes, but it just shows you how much the sound can change on them from set-up to set-up. I've literally read people say they are they are the best headphones they've ever owned to people saying they are the most boring sounding headphones they've ever heard! But one thing is for sure, they respond well to scaling up and just seem to get better and better as you go up the source and amp chain. (Did I mention they sound AWESOME on a good tube amp?)

post #9294 of 18957
Speaking of scaling, has anyone heard the HD650 on a Mjolnir? Sennheiser doesn't sell a balanced cable, so I'm wondering if it would be worth the effort to make my own cable.

I'm also interested in the Leckerton UHA-6S.MKII + HD650 for listening at work. Anyone have that combo? I have some RE262s that I though would be perfect for work, but taking them out every time someone comes into my office is a pain. I think I can get away with open phones since I have my own office--not a big fan of closed phones at all.
post #9295 of 18957

Oh how I would LOVE to hear the hd650 and a quality balanced amp like the mojo.  Maybe it wouldn't make the kind of difference that I imagine, but it's certainly something that I need to audition in the near future. 

post #9296 of 18957

I read somewhere that the sound of the HD650s has changed over time and that they sound brighter than they used to. Im looking to buy a pair of headphones for my girlfriend  who has hyperacusis (a sensitivity to high frequencies) and narrowed it down to the HD650s because they are said to not be as bright as other headphones (like my grados).

Could some one please confirm which HD650s are the "darkest" because it will determine whether i get them used or new.

post #9297 of 18957

That's a tough question to answer. Personally, I have the newer 650's and I don't hear the dark veil that is so often described with this headphones. So I'd say if you want the darker version look for an older used pair.

post #9298 of 18957

when did you buy them? is there any way to visually tell which are the "newer" ones? I figured i will probably need to get a old pair. Question is, how old?

post #9299 of 18957

I believe the older driver version has a black silk screening on the drivers. The newer is silver. That doesn't mean that this is the absolute indicator of change however. 

post #9300 of 18957
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavid View Post

I read somewhere that the sound of the HD650s has changed over time and that they sound brighter than they used to. Im looking to buy a pair of headphones for my girlfriend  who has hyperacusis (a sensitivity to high frequencies) and narrowed it down to the HD650s because they are said to not be as bright as other headphones (like my grados).

Could some one please confirm which HD650s are the "darkest" because it will determine whether i get them used or new.

Newer ones have white mesh older have black mesh.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread