- 7,807 Posts. Joined 4/2006
- Location: Los Angeles, CA
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 5/6/10
Related Forum Threads
- More sonically balanced Sennheiser momentums with active noise cancelling for under $150!!! Last post on 9/19/14 at 6:04am in Headphones (full-size)
- Stereo amplifier for HD650 or Headphone amp? Last post on 9/18/14 at 12:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Are the Sennheiser HD650's worth another $100? Last post on 9/17/14 at 4:35pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Senn HD650 as complimantry for Hifiman HE-500? Last post on 9/15/14 at 8:16pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Replacing HD-650's with IEM's for travelling Last post on 9/10/14 at 3:55pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Introduction I got these headphones around the national holiday. These came out about 2 years after I had got my K701. I was first attracted by its classy design and colour. I thought I would...
I am one of the lucky ones to get a chance to be reviewer in the HE-400i "tour". HiFiMAN has intrigued me since the start of my Head-Fi journey. The HE-400 was the first headphone I purchased...
Note: Much of this comes from a review I wrote and posted elsewhere a month or so ago, but with some editing and organizational tweaks. I have wanted to do a full Alpha Dog review for a while,...
I have owned this headphone for 2 years and it never disappointed me. The sound quality is no need to discuss as its sound signature has been discussed multiple times in TH900 thread. This...
published on September 22, 2014 (click any photo in this review for a larger version) Intro I first heard about Garage1217's Project Polaris (just "Polaris" from here on out, for the...
Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 609
Gear mentioned in this thread:
+1, Onboard soundcard's are pretty awful, the noise your probably hearing is Electro Magnetic RF/noise which is something they suffer from (some are worse than others)
I love the layout of the mobile app though...very nice!!
@tdock...we are in agreement on the 650. There is certainly no veil for me or mid bass hump. The bass is deep and textured and I go as far as to call the treble "energetic." But the mids are the real star of the show. Completely addictive.
I just can't stop listening to the mids on these. Honestly, I just can't see myself changing anything in my current setup except maybe some tubes on the lyr. It just sounds that good to me.
Alright... thanks for letting me know, guys. I planned on getting a separate DAC anyway, so... I guess it isn't much of a problem. I'll report on the results when I get one next month.
So... just to clarify once more... it's unlikely I damaged my headphones while I played around with it at the highest gain setting of 20 db (and, yes, the gain settings happen to be correct; I just misread the label for the dip switches on my amp - so, indeed, my loudest gain setting is 20 db), right?
Nah, VERY unlikely that you damaged those hp's. The 650 sure can take a lot and unless you were near max on the volume pot for an extended period on high gain then you're fine. You'd hear signs of damage anyway.
Matt: Alright... thanks for letting me know.
fuzzy1969: Yea... I tried it with my phone, but I'm still hearing not the clearest treble... but I'm guessing phones don't have the greatest DACs, either?
Edited by fuzzybaffy - 12/2/12 at 5:44am
Oh my... I just tried the HD-650 without the amp, and straight onto the onboard audio, and it sounded worse. LOL. Yea... I'll just assume it's the terrible onboard audio for now.
Edited by fuzzybaffy - 12/2/12 at 6:04am
Yes, please do get a new DAC and report back to us. Just for the sake of testing, I just tried listening to a few songs via my Onboard Audio and my Titanium HD (w/ Burr-Brown PCM1794 DAC). Even without the amp, I could hear a huge difference.
Nah sorry (to a poster named nicholas something or other that I thought was above me but apparently isn't.) The HD650 are excellent phones for the price and I like my pair but they are not even in the same technical league as the HD800 and LCD3. Sound signature has nothing to do with it. Detail retrieval and transient response on the 650 don't even come close to the 800 or LCD3. The technology behind the ring radiator driver in the 800 is miles ahead of what's in the 650, and likewise for the planar magnetic driver in the LCD3.
As much as I live the 650's I would hope they are not the equals of can casting 3X to 4X.....I would love to hear a pair of LCD-2 or 3's someday.
I auditioned the lcd2 for a week just a few months ago. Honestly, the sound was wonderful. I love a dark signature with good textured bass and the lcd2 gives you those in spaides.
But as good as it was it has two things going against it IMO. The price for one. And secondly for me, the comfort is what I'd call bearable at best. Comfort of course will be different for different people. But if I'm dropping $1k on a hp it better be damned comfortable. Too heavy and too much clamp for me to enjoy listening with it for more than about 30-40 minutes. I'd live with the cost if Audeze could find a way to shave about a third of the weight off.
yeh based on comments ive read the past few days, in this thread and various others, theres no way i'd go for any of the planar magnetic headphones. they weigh close to double any of the sennys and are uncomfortable? why would anyone want em? i wish i could say that i could tolerate the discomfort for the sake of sound, but nope.
i was set on the LCD2s being my next purchase after the 650s, but now i'm in the HD800 camp all the way. hated them at first due to their look, but i'd rather have something ugly yet comfortable and good sounding than something that sounds great yet has no comfort and looks doofy on your head.
gonna wait til CES to see if anything new is released, and if not, i'm purchasing the HD800s.
depends which phone you've got?
- Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 17 seconds ago
- › Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp 24 seconds ago
- › Grado RS1i Impressions thread 32 seconds ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 1 minute ago
- › Are the Sennheiser HD650's worth another $100? 2 minutes ago
- › New Audeze LCD3 3 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX90 Bug Thread - Post Any Firmware Bugs/Issues Here 3 minutes ago
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 4 minutes ago
- › Naim DAC-V1 vs... 4 minutes ago
- › Grado Magnum: Turbulent Mahogany Cup and X-Driver 5 minutes ago
- › AKG K 550 by QBoQBo
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by smellyfungus
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (T50RP Mod) by hans030390
- › Fostex TH 900 by archeryc
- › Garage1217 Project Polaris by Asr
- › Bose QuietComfort 20i Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones by dbdchc
- › Rega RP3 by Nhubley
- › Woo Audio 2 by Nhubley
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by razor5cl
- › Aune M1 Hi-Fi Wav Player by wtnwin111
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)