Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 601

post #9001 of 20061
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

$500 is a hard spot to work with.  for a few hundred more the mojo I hear is a good one.  Or might want to look into this:   Emotiva mini-X a-100

 

Thanks! But those amps don't look like DIY. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

I love when someone says that that they have a budget of xx dollars but that they will spend more if necessary!! You know that you have a dedicated headfier there...

 

Haha, I do consider this equipment an investment. 

 

post #9002 of 20061
Has anyone tried ipod/clip > LOD > O2 (with 2 9v batts)? Isn't the O2 like 700mw into 250 ohms or something like that? (For portable)
Edited by Doc-holliday - 11/30/12 at 8:28am
post #9003 of 20061

What are the supposed different "versions" of the HD-650's out there? 

post #9004 of 20061

I wouldn't run hd650's on a speaker amp like the Emotiva mini-x-a-100, planar headphones are a different story.

post #9005 of 20061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc-holliday View Post

Has anyone tried ipod/clip > LOD > O2 (with 2 9v batts)? Isn't the O2 like 700mah into 250 ohms or something like that? (For portable)

its about 177mw/300 ohms(max), I quite like it, very transparent amp, performs better when plugged in.


Edited by fuzzy1969 - 11/30/12 at 1:09am
post #9006 of 20061
Hope I've not posted this twice...

Just received HD 650s and Graham Slee Solo SRG
My previous set up was for secondary night time listening and consisted of HD595s through a project headbox 2 from a Meridian 506 cd player. Which I thought was OK

Then I had to ditch the speakers and decided to reinvest some of the cash.

Wow biggrin.gif

After just 4 hours burn in, I'm hearing a midrange that I didn't know was missing, a more fleshed out bass, a calmer treble and most importantly more coherent performances.
Im a classical musician and im hearing things in the recordings that I've so far played and which I've known for years, that I've never heard before!!!
Highly complex and intricate symphonic music that had been previously demanding is now so much more easy to follow and understand. I can't but help wonder how many pieces of music there are out there that haven't made it because they haven't had this level of reproduction smily_headphones1.gif

Gushing over...

Now the problem is
a) Is a replacement cable for the phones just snake oil
b) Will the Graham Slee PSU1 significantly improve what I now have... smily_headphones1.gifsmily_headphones1.gifsmily_headphones1.gif

Cheers all biggrin.gif
post #9007 of 20061
Quote:
Originally Posted by brymuse View Post

Hope I've not posted this twice...
Just received HD 650s and Graham Slee Solo SRG
My previous set up was for secondary night time listening and consisted of HD595s through a project headbox 2 from a Meridian 506 cd player. Which I thought was OK
Then I had to ditch the speakers and decided to reinvest some of the cash.
Wow biggrin.gif
After just 4 hours burn in, I'm hearing a midrange that I didn't know was missing, a more fleshed out bass, a calmer treble and most importantly more coherent performances.
Im a classical musician and im hearing things in the recordings that I've so far played and which I've known for years, that I've never heard before!!!
Highly complex and intricate symphonic music that had been previously demanding is now so much more easy to follow and understand. I can't but help wonder how many pieces of music there are out there that haven't made it because they haven't had this level of reproduction smily_headphones1.gif
Gushing over...
Now the problem is
a) Is a replacement cable for the phones just snake oil
b) Will the Graham Slee PSU1 significantly improve what I now have... smily_headphones1.gifsmily_headphones1.gifsmily_headphones1.gif
Cheers all biggrin.gif

 

a) AFAIK, there's not been any double blind test where the 'high end' cables proved to be superior to the stock ones. Ofcourse, some people don't want to rely on those tests and have reported differences nonetheless.

 

I guess it's just a matter of what kind of person you are.

post #9008 of 20061

The moon audio silver dragon sounded really good to me. I found it used for cheap here or I wouldn't haven gotten it. Ironically, I usually don't like silver cables, and prefer copper. Sold it though to try something else. Wished I had kept it now. 

post #9009 of 20061
$500 for an amp that powers anything?

Looks like a job for the Audio-GD SA-31. Jes sayan...
post #9010 of 20061
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

The moon audio silver dragon sounded really good to me. I found it used for cheap here or I wouldn't haven gotten it. Ironically, I usually don't like silver cables, and prefer copper. Sold it though to try something else. Wished I had kept it now. 


Matt, you and I always seem to hear things the same way.

 

To everyone else, please bear with me here as I haven't tried to put this into words before.

 

To my ears, the largest improvement to my 650's was when I removed the foam pieces that covered the drivers. It really seemed to open the sound up and "brighten" a somewhat dark headphone. With the Silver Dragon cable, I hear a smaller but similar change to the SQ. I sometimes swap the cable back to the original, but I always hear the sound open up when I switch back to the silver. I realize that is not true "double blind testing", but I'm not trying to prove or disprove anything, only explain what I hear. YMMV.

 

I have since put the foam pieces back in to keep a stray hair from the drivers, but my silver cable isn't going anywhere.


Edited by OldSkool - 11/30/12 at 6:48am
post #9011 of 20061

Fostex HP-P1 does a great job of powering the HD650's...

post #9012 of 20061
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkool View Post


Matt, you and I always seem to hear things the same way.

 

To everyone else, please bear with me here as I haven't tried to put this into words before.

 

To my ears, the largest improvement to my 650's was when I removed the foam pieces that covered the drivers. It really seemed to open the sound up and "brighten" a somewhat dark headphone. With the Silver Dragon cable, I hear a smaller but similar change to the SQ. I sometimes swap the cable back to the original, but I always hear the sound open up when I switch back to the silver. I realize that is not true "double blind testing", but I'm not trying to prove or disprove anything, only explain what I hear. YMMV.

 

I have since put the foam pieces back in to keep a stray hair from the drivers, but my silver cable isn't going anywhere.

 

You can buy some speaker cloth from Parts Express for cheap. That's what I did. This new HD-650 doesn't sound dark at all, so I haven't removed the foam.

Based on all the different recables i've done, it always seems that lower capacitance wire sounds brighter and thinner and higher capacitance seems warmer/fuller sounding. Could be my brain playing tricks on me.

I really disliked the Q701 with silver plated copper, Belden 1192A and a few others (all low capacitance I believe). It makes sense why everyone loves silver for the HD-650. Canare was especially awful for the HD-650.

post #9013 of 20061
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy1969 View Post

its about 177mw/300 ohms(max), I quite like it, very transparent amp, performs better when plugged in.
Great thanks. Thats still a great deal of juice.

Ya I musta been pretty tired when I wrote that as I used the wrong abbreviation, glad you knew what I meant anyway (I had been dealing with large batteries for a system all day at work lol)

Think I'll have to order an O2 in addition to my Lyr in the off chance I try to use these portably one of these days. Would be nice to compare them side by side.
post #9014 of 20061
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post

Anyone have a perfect portable setup for these? I mean to use around the house that's cheap.

Today was a major fail for me in trying to do this.

 

Whenever I tried it seemed that someone had taken my nice soundstage and smashed it all together into a big congested mess. Strangely enough the treble seemed to be lacking more than normal (portable method).

Severe loss of detail, kind of muffled and almost boring. Basically it felt that my HD-650 would have lost out to my poor DJ100 (not a fair match) in every area.

 

I tried all of these without much luck:

 

Sansa Clip+ to Total Airhead. Ok.

Clip+ to E11...awful

Ipod Touch by LOD to E11/Airhead. Even better.

 

Despite sounding fairly good, it sounds clearer straight from the Clip+. I get lots of crackling though sometimes.

 

I think this is the rare example where using the headphone out on the Clip+ to amp actually craps up the sound a bit. This occurs for me on like zero other headphones.

I spent about an hour trying to find my old Sansa Fuze so I can try it's Line Out. The idea of buying a Fuze+ makes me sick.

 

Best result I got was Ipod Classic 2G (B&W) to Airhead.

 

Switching from Airhead to the E9 or Headroom Micro is such a huge difference. It's clear that I'm getting enough volume, but the HD-650 is still complaining about something.

 

I guess expecting the sound of the ODAC+Micro Amp in a portable setup is asking too much. This is actually one of the best sounding headphones i've ever heard with that setup.

Crystal clear sounding, not too forgiving(!), quite detailed and still fatigue free mostly. Soundstage impresses me the most, but with a portable setup..not a chance.

 

Maybe I need a portable player that's even more powerful along with maybe a CMOY or something. You'd think the Airhead would be more than enough.

With the same setup my Q701 sounds better. On the main setup, they're pretty even so far. Just different signatures.

 

Man and I thought my DJ100 was picky about amps and DACs. It seems the HD-650 and Q701 are two headphones that really prefer a nice computer DAC and desktop amp.

The HD-650 might have the edge. I can't understand why the 580 sounds so amazing with the Airhead and the same players, but the 650 is so much worse. Very strange.

 

Note: still sounds good, but just not the same.

 

Oh yeah, I have a Cown Iaudio 7. Maybe i'll try that.

 

After using the ODAC, it's really hard to want to go back to ever using portable players. No I don't use my HD-650 in public, but it's kind of nice to use while wandering around the house.

 

I also just found a portable CD player with a line out. Should be interesting to try..

 

Have you thought about getting the RS220 wireless HP's.  They sound pretty good and are supposed to have a similar signature to the HD650's, which they were voiced after.  I know, they're wireless, but I hear they are worth a listen.  Same price as HP-P1, I believe.  

post #9015 of 20061
Quote:
Originally Posted by brymuse View Post

Hope I've not posted this twice...
Just received HD 650s and Graham Slee Solo SRG
My previous set up was for secondary night time listening and consisted of HD595s through a project headbox 2 from a Meridian 506 cd player. Which I thought was OK
Then I had to ditch the speakers and decided to reinvest some of the cash.
Wow biggrin.gif
After just 4 hours burn in, I'm hearing a midrange that I didn't know was missing, a more fleshed out bass, a calmer treble and most importantly more coherent performances.
Im a classical musician and im hearing things in the recordings that I've so far played and which I've known for years, that I've never heard before!!!
Highly complex and intricate symphonic music that had been previously demanding is now so much more easy to follow and understand. I can't but help wonder how many pieces of music there are out there that haven't made it because they haven't had this level of reproduction smily_headphones1.gif
Gushing over...
Now the problem is
a) Is a replacement cable for the phones just snake oil
b) Will the Graham Slee PSU1 significantly improve what I now have... smily_headphones1.gifsmily_headphones1.gifsmily_headphones1.gif
Cheers all biggrin.gif

 

Personally, I was a cable skeptic too until I tried the black dragon from moon audio.  It really did tighten up the bass and open the cans a bit... difference wasn't HUGE, but significant enough to hear when I tested with the stock cable and my friend (who was even more of a cable skeptic before) could also hear it.  He's the kind that would be very willing to disagree and prove the "HA! I was RIGHT!! Cables don't matter!!"  After listening to my black dragon cable, he decided to order parts and DIY.  So is it worth the money??? Well TBH, I don't think the sound difference is worth what most cable companies ask for ($150-300), but I got mine under 100 used... so I feel it was a worthy upgrade.  Perhaps see if you can borrow one and test?  or buy one to test, and resell if you don't like it.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread