or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 558

post #8356 of 37349
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

If you're gonna break a hp, might as well make it a cheap one!! wink.gif

Well, it's also that the HD595 headband is more flexy and won't break in the same situation.

 

This story is also why I cringe when people who complain about the HD650 clamp (I like it) propose the "put them on a few thick books" solution, or when I hand 'em over to someone ("here, listen to this") and they pull them wide to put 'em on their heads.  It was a few long few weeks before I got 'em repaired.

post #8357 of 37349
Quote:
Originally Posted by uzi View Post

Let me know what you think of the HE-500... they're on the "someday maybe" list for me.

 

Will do!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

If you're gonna break a hp, might as well make it a cheap one!! wink.gif

 

Thats why I use my Grado SR80 for movie watching because I tend to fall a sleep quite often watching movies. biggrin.gif

 

beerchug.gif

post #8358 of 37349
Quote:
Originally Posted by asmoday View Post

 

Thats why I use my Grado SR80 for movie watching because I tend to fall a sleep quite often watching movies. biggrin.gif

 

beerchug.gif

 

How can anyone fall asleep w/ a Grado on?! :) Uncomfortable enough to keep me awake! 


Edited by imackler - 11/2/12 at 3:25pm
post #8359 of 37349

Would a Xonar Essence One be good for the HD 650s?

post #8360 of 37349
Quote:
Originally Posted by longbowbbs View Post

I have only had a couple of hours with the HD800's. They were new and using a new set of Entreq cables on the Burson 160DS. I switched between them and the HD650's with the Toxic Silver Poisons and I preferred the HD650's. Of course we're talking new 800's and cables vs fully broken in 650's and cables. I also did not have a perfectly quiet listening environment at the store. With that stuff in mind, I was gratified that the 650's held their own as well as they did. You never know around here about upgrades. Maybe I'll get the 800's some day, but I am certainly not concerned about enjoying a great night of music with the 650's!

 

Ever considered the Burson wasn't up to scratch for the HD800 rather than focusing on the effect of cables and burn in? rolleyes.gif

post #8361 of 37349
Quote:
Originally Posted by olor1n View Post

 

Ever considered the Burson wasn't up to scratch for the HD800 rather than focusing on the effect of cables and burn in? rolleyes.gif

 

While I think the HD800's sound really good off big, potent amp, I thought that my HA-160DS gave them a good amount of power and amplification.

post #8362 of 37349
Quote:
Originally Posted by olor1n View Post

 

Ever considered the Burson wasn't up to scratch for the HD800 rather than focusing on the effect of cables and burn in? rolleyes.gif

Definitely a possibility. Of course 6 Moons seemed to like the Burson quite a bit. As I said, I would like more time with the 800's but so far it has not been possible.

post #8363 of 37349

@ AM - It's not about how much power is fed into the HD800. Quality amplification matters, particularly with regards to transparency. The most important aspect of the chain (for the HD800) when the amp meets that basic requirement is the quality of the DAC/source component and the recording fed into it. Your chain is only as good as its weakest link and moar powah isn't always the solution. Same applies to the HD650 to an extent. It's about careful system matching, not whether they're jacked into nuclear power plants.


Edited by olor1n - 11/2/12 at 8:35pm
post #8364 of 37349
Try them with the Stefan audio art endorphin cable ...awesome!
post #8365 of 37349

Hi 

 

I am upgrading from HD555's which I modded to supposedly sound like the HD595s. I was originally pretty keen on the 650's but I found the SRH 1840's and now I am feeling like perhaps I should spend the extra, though it's a reasomable amount extra on top of a decent upgrade cost to start with.  Mostly I listen to pop, and artists like Celine Dion, Phil Collins, Billy Joel, Josh Groban, Nickleback, Daughtry etc. I want something that will bring the hair on my neck up and give me that wow feeling when I play music I love on them.

 

My concern with the 650's is they seem to be excellent, with amplification, and that the type of amplification that makes it really special are all $200+. By the time I buy 650's for $400 and amp for $200 I am almost all the way to the SRH1840's which don't seem to require amplification. I mostly listen from my PC (I have a Asus STX Essence sound card) or via my Yamaha RX-Z7 with an Oppo Blu-Ray player. Though occasionally I'd like to listen via my Ipod Touch.

 

I guess I was hoping someone would be able to give me a point of reference. If without external amplification the 650's would be a 6/10 and the SRH-1840 a 8/10 but I'd require to spend $A to get an amp to make the 650's excel then it would seem better to jump right to the Shures. Obviously I am just picking numbers here, I was hoping someone might be able to shed some light. 

 

I am also interested how much better an amp (obviously there are 100 options) makes the 650's. Is it 5% or 500%?

 

I know it's all a little subjective, but hopefully someone might be able to give me some idea. 

post #8366 of 37349

The general consensus would tell you that the hd650 scales up with the best of them. I don't know what number I'd put on it, but I'll say this. I was ready to return the hd650 until I broke down and bought the lyr. Now I will never sell it!! The hd650 will sound just okay from lesser sources but  will give you much much more with the right amp. 

 

I can't comment on the SRH1840 as I haven't owned them. 

 

gL!!

post #8367 of 37349

I have heard the Asus Essence STX which I have is a reasonable pairing, but I am trying to determine in terms of Amplification, what the nearest external Amp equivalent would be in say the Little Dot? Or could someone say, the STX is the equivalent of a $200 amp but to make it work nicely you need to spend $400?

post #8368 of 37349

The FiiO E9 is similar to the built-in amplifier on the Essence STX (it uses the same TPA6120A2 chip to drive the headphones, and has the same output impedance and maximum power).

post #8369 of 37349

^^ The fiio e09k+odac worked quite well for me with the hd650. Of course you can get more from the 650 but the former is a good pairing. 

post #8370 of 37349
Quote:
Originally Posted by networkn View Post

Hi 

 

I am upgrading from HD555's which I modded to supposedly sound like the HD595s. I was originally pretty keen on the 650's but I found the SRH 1840's and now I am feeling like perhaps I should spend the extra, though it's a reasomable amount extra on top of a decent upgrade cost to start with.  Mostly I listen to pop, and artists like Celine Dion, Phil Collins, Billy Joel, Josh Groban, Nickleback, Daughtry etc. I want something that will bring the hair on my neck up and give me that wow feeling when I play music I love on them.

 

My concern with the 650's is they seem to be excellent, with amplification, and that the type of amplification that makes it really special are all $200+. By the time I buy 650's for $400 and amp for $200 I am almost all the way to the SRH1840's which don't seem to require amplification. I mostly listen from my PC (I have a Asus STX Essence sound card) or via my Yamaha RX-Z7 with an Oppo Blu-Ray player. Though occasionally I'd like to listen via my Ipod Touch.

 

I guess I was hoping someone would be able to give me a point of reference. If without external amplification the 650's would be a 6/10 and the SRH-1840 a 8/10 but I'd require to spend $A to get an amp to make the 650's excel then it would seem better to jump right to the Shures. Obviously I am just picking numbers here, I was hoping someone might be able to shed some light. 

 

I am also interested how much better an amp (obviously there are 100 options) makes the 650's. Is it 5% or 500%?

 

I know it's all a little subjective, but hopefully someone might be able to give me some idea. 

 

 

I own both the 1840s and the 650s.  You're correct the 1840s don't require much amplification to perform well.  The 650s will benefit the most with (more / better / higher end) amplification.  

 

The 650s will beat the 1840s in all areas of the bass region all day long.  I would also say the 1840s will beat the 650s in the treble region.  For the mids and soundstage I'll go with the 650s, Not that the 650s have a large soundstage but compared to the 1840s they win.  The mids is where the 650s do it for me.  I love the forward type mids on the 650s.  The 1840s mids are not as present and maybe kinda flat or maybe it's neutral.  

 

Being as though I think the 650s has more of a warmer sound sig I like to here these on my B22.  The 1840s lacks in the mids and bass where they excel in the treble so I like to listen to these on my M^3.  I try to compensate for the weakness of both by using different amps that have the opposite effect.


Edited by preproman - 11/3/12 at 6:02am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread