or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 553

post #8281 of 36844
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post

When people on head-fi say 'tough to drive' they just mean 'tough to make sound good with amp'

 

They mean, "doesn't make bad amps sound good." There's nothing about the HD 650 which makes them particularly hard to drive. It's certainly not perfect, with its 300-Ohm impedance, but there's nothing unique or unusually demanding about the voltage, current, or power requirements.

 

They can work well with low-end hardware. That is, if the output impedance isn't too high. The Behringer UCA-222 DAC (US$29) didn't sound particularly good with them, or particularly bad, but I didn't buy the HD 650's for headphones which sound "not particularly bad." The FiiO E5, when it doesn't run out of juice, worked remarkably well.

post #8282 of 36844
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post

When people on head-fi say 'tough to drive' they just mean 'tough to make sound good with amp'

For good or ill, they will give you the quality of the other connected components. If the amp/dac are average or poor quality, then you will not like the HD650's.

post #8283 of 36844

I got the Lry/Bifrost combo yesterday and so far they have sparked some new life into HD650 for me. I was exploring other headphones, but I think for now my urge has been cured for a little while anyway. 

post #8284 of 36844

Another example of good gear = Happy HD650's!

post #8285 of 36844

Listening to them now w/some HDTracks FLAC music (Bill Evans Trio's Waltz for Debby) and astounded by the intimacy of the recording and hearing all the background noises inside the club they played at, as if I was right there. 

 

Very soothing and beautiful album, with all the emotion of the musicians coming through in this performance on the HD650s. I tried this with the D5000s and there was noticeably less of the above.

post #8286 of 36844
Quote:
Originally Posted by twizzleraddict View Post

Listening to them now w/some HDTracks FLAC music (Bill Evans Trio's Waltz for Debby) and astounded by the intimacy of the recording and hearing all the background noises inside the club they played at, as if I was right there. 

 

Very soothing and beautiful album, with all the emotion of the musicians coming through in this performance on the HD650s. I tried this with the D5000s and there was noticeably less of the above.

 

D5ks do well as semi-closed headphones, but in the end they are still semi-closed.

post #8287 of 36844
post #8288 of 36844

I've been going through some of the material on this site. While interesting, why would you pay 2x as much for a flac download of some of these albums when you can get an actual cd. Or even a used cd for much less??

post #8289 of 36844
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

I've been going through some of the material on this site. While interesting, why would you pay 2x as much for a flac download of some of these albums when you can get an actual cd. Or even a used cd for much less??

Gosh, you just don't get it. The more you pay for something the better it becomes. DUH!

post #8290 of 36844
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post

Gosh, you just don't get it. The more you pay for something the better it becomes. DUH!

 

Oh...now I've got it!!

 

TY

post #8291 of 36844
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

 

Oh...now I've got it!!

 

TY

Did you pay for some FLAC, then?

post #8292 of 36844

Uhm...no. I like to buy actual cd's. redface.gif I know...I'm just weird like that. 

post #8293 of 36844
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

Uhm...no. I like to buy actual cd's. redface.gif I know...I'm just weird like that. 

See and you're just missing out on that superior investment of downloaded FLACs. tongue.gif

 

blink.gif

post #8294 of 36844

I plan to live vicariously through you. tongue.gif

post #8295 of 36844
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post

Gosh, you just don't get it. The more you pay for something the better it becomes. DUH!

 

And they use larger, gold-plated bits when digitizing.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread